Should I stay in pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think if you were already a pharmacist, or just a year away, this might make sense, but they are literally onlu 25% of the way through - cut your losses, and then pick up coding or something else now vs later

I agree. It's only 1 year of your life and one year of tuition that you wasted. If you plan to work for 30 plus years. you need to obtain a career that you will enjoy. Sounds like the job conditions are important to you.
You also need to do a deep dive into what you want to do, in pharmacy or outside of pharmacy before you make a decision. Weigh your options.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Now you know most of everyone and their work status from the last 4 classes too? Lol

No, it’s not assumptions, it’s hard numbers you can verify yourself. 45-50hr is the nationwide rate based on extensive nationwide salary spreadsheets, actually lower if you account for COL. The only assumptions here are that you know everyone and what their salaries are, now adding the last 4 classes to that list. So you know 750 people and their salaries/wether they got jobs? That’s probably why they gave you 3 job offers, you must posses social supernatural powers beyond any other individual, much less a PharmD, and as such you are by definition a unicorn.

Doomers? You mean the people who were’t ignorant to the facts and said this would happen? And then pharmacy became the worst projected and worst ranked profession in healthcare? And schools became 90%+ acceptance rates with no standards for admission, moving to “holistic grading (no GPA)” in fear of having to close due to no students? These are facts, visit BLS/HRSA/NABP and verify for yourself. If you feel that’s not the case, visit www.200challenge.com, no one’s been able to collect yet but give it a try.

Walgreens has been decreasing salaries for quite some time, 40s is very common. That maybe they increased in your circle because no one would take the job? 100% possible, but it’s an exception to the rule, not the rule. 53/hr you mention is barely 100k and that’s full time 40hrs, many can’t even get 28-32 hours and even PGYs can’t get jobs. Yet somehow the 750 that you know have all gotten jobs above 100k and hospitals are begging you to work for them, meanwhile there are countless posts of PharmDs not being able to get jobs in Texas/your area. Sorry but it’s a lil sus, and by a lil i mean a lot.
By this logic, the very best job (according to BLS) is motion picture projectionist. Additionally, all pharmacy students should drop out of school and become makeup artists. I’m not saying that projected job growth is a useless figure, but it is best considered in the context of number of new graduates entering the field and unemployment rates for that field. Genuinely, you might as well say that no one should pursue a career as a pediatrician. Given that pharmacy is a stable career with low unemployment, I think the most important question is whether you want to be a pharmacist. If it’s something you hate, there isn’t so much money and job prospects that you should do it anyway. If you care about this profession, I don’t think there is any reason (at this point) to not pursue the career you want. The original poster might be best off leaving pharmacy school if they do, in fact, hate pharmacy and not just that one job in pharmacy. That doesn’t mean that it’s a bad career for everyone. Most pharmacists will find employment and pay for most pharmacists will exceed 100k. About 50% of pharmacists will work in a retail position, about 27% in hospitals per BLS. Retirement and career transfer rates are about the same as NAPLEX pass rates even with the projected decrease in new job growth. I’m all for realism, but don’t let pessimism cloud your judgment.

By this logic, the very best job (according to BLS) is motion picture projectionist. Additionally, all pharmacy students should drop out of school and become makeup artists. I’m not saying that projected job growth is a useless figure, but it is best considered in the context of number of new graduates entering the field and unemployment rates for that field. Genuinely, you might as well say that no one should pursue a career as a pediatrician. Given that pharmacy is a stable career with low unemployment, I think the most important question is whether you want to be a pharmacist. If it’s something you hate, there isn’t so much money and job prospects that you should do it anyway. If you care about this profession, I don’t think there is any reason (at this point) to not pursue the career you want. The original poster might be best off leaving pharmacy school if they do, in fact, hate pharmacy and not just that one job in pharmacy. That doesn’t mean that it’s a bad career for everyone. Most pharmacists will find employment and pay for most pharmacists will exceed 100k. About 50% of pharmacists will work in a retail position, about 27% in hospitals per BLS. Retirement and career transfer rates are about the same as NAPLEX pass rates even with the projected decrease in new job growth. I’m all for realism, but don’t let pessimism cloud your judgment.

It’s not even about hating pharmacy, and i would have to disagree, for the general individual, not only would it be a bad career choice but it’s a bad investment/ROI. 6-10 years of school, massive opportunity cost, 150-200k debt (just tuition in most cases, higher with living expenses). I am not sure when you graduated/if you’re a pharmacist or student, but majority will not earn 100k, and that’s been the case for years. Guaranteed 6 figures are long gone. New grads are 45-50/hr with 28-32 hours 75-80k, and that’s now before everyone flocks back in for any rate/he from trying to shove it to the chains due to not needing to pay loans. Are there a few jobs here and there driven by the lack of pharmacists willing to work in these conditions/for this pay? Sure, but people forget how bad it was pre COVID. It’s not pessimism, it’s just hard numbers and data. The state pharmacy is in now was predicted 10 years ago, but no one wanted to believe it and wanted to stay positive. It’s time to see it for what it is and stop excusing these schools and lack of backbone in the APhA to do anything for pharmacists. The excuse of moving to middle of nowhere just to get a mediocre job is tiring. And yes, in all honestly, MUA/estheticians probably are better off. 6-10 years of opportunity cost is 500-900k ahead of pharmacists by the time they enter the workforce (as many, many earn 80-90k, others more), no debt.

In addition, the actual figure in retail is closer to 70%+, i am not sure how it’s stable employment as i see staff fired/swapped on weekly basis (even if it is, would you work a terrible job just because it’s stable?). Maybe currently due to lack of pharmacists but previously it was incredibly difficult to get hours, where pharmacists have completely left the field. There are so many better options even in healthcare, that require much less schooling, debt, etc., that to truly choose to go in post 2020, there has to be a strong disconnect from reality and a serious lack of ability to make adult risk/reward decisions (this is why the schools are picking fresh 19-20 year olds because they can’t sell their BS to even the mildly mature crowd).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Everytime I call a contractor to have work done, they are out on vacation overseas somewhere. Whether I need a roofer, plumber, electrician, carpenter etc. They're always working less and living it up more. They make just as much as pharmacists or more, with none of the debt. You are lucky if they even show up for a quote, much less for the actual job. They get to pick and choose which jobs they want to take. Not saying everyone can go into the trades, but this is just one example of how many better options there are out there.

Reactions: 2 users
It was one of those threads in 2012-2013 that made me get off the pharmacy bandwagon. Had a pharmacy school acceptance at that time. Looking back, I am glad I did. It seems like things have gotten worse.

However, in all fairness, my friend who did not jump off ship like me is doing well. She graduated in 2017 and has had a great hospital job.

OP, get out and get an MRI or CT scan certificate or degree at a CC and you will make 70-90k with no student debt.

Last edited:
It was one of those threads in 2012-2013 that made me get off the pharmacy bandwagon. Had a pharmacy school acceptance at that time. Looking back, I am glad I did. It seems like things have gotten worse.

However, in all fairness, my who did not jump off ship like me is doing well. She graduated in 2017 and has had a great hospital job.

OP, get out and get an MRI or CT scan certificate or degree at a CC and you will make 70-90k with no student debt.

Oh yeah, it’s gotten significantly worse just in the past 1-2 years.

Couldn’t agree more on your last statement, and it’s funny you mention it as i know multiple people who did that. One is making 130-140k doing travel, the others are within what you mentioned (80-90k), but point is it’s little/no debt and practically no opportunity cost.

Oh yeah, it’s gotten significantly worse just in the past 1-2 years.

Couldn’t agree more on your last statement, and it’s funny you mention it as i know multiple people who did that. One is making 130-140k doing travel, the others are within what you mentioned (80-90k), but point is it’s little/no debt and practically no opportunity cost.
I think for people who want to go into healthcare, Xray, CT scan, MRI tech is the way to go... Can get that done in 2-3 yrs and have the ability to make close to 6-figure.

It’s not even about hating pharmacy, and i would have to disagree, for the general individual, not only would it be a bad career choice but it’s a bad investment/ROI. 6-10 years of school, massive opportunity cost, 150-200k debt (just tuition in most cases, higher with living expenses). I am not sure when you graduated/if you’re a pharmacist or student, but majority will not earn 100k, and that’s been the case for years. Guaranteed 6 figures are long gone. New grads are 45-50/hr with 28-32 hours 75-80k, and that’s now before everyone flocks back in for any rate/he from trying to shove it to the chains due to not needing to pay loans. Are there a few jobs here and there driven by the lack of pharmacists willing to work in these conditions/for this pay? Sure, but people forget how bad it was pre COVID. It’s not pessimism, it’s just hard numbers and data. The state pharmacy is in now was predicted 10 years ago, but no one wanted to believe it and wanted to stay positive. It’s time to see it for what it is and stop excusing these schools and lack of backbone in the APhA to do anything for pharmacists. The excuse of moving to middle of nowhere just to get a mediocre job is tiring. And yes, in all honestly, MUA/estheticians probably are better off. 6-10 years of opportunity cost is 500-900k ahead of pharmacists by the time they enter the workforce (as many, many earn 80-90k, others more), no debt.

In addition, the actual figure in retail is closer to 70%+, i am not sure how it’s stable employment as i see staff fired/swapped on weekly basis (even if it is, would you work a terrible job just because it’s stable?). Maybe currently due to lack of pharmacists but previously it was incredibly difficult to get hours, where pharmacists have completely left the field. There are so many better options even in healthcare, that require much less schooling, debt, etc., that to truly choose to go in post 2020, there has to be a strong disconnect from reality and a serious lack of ability to make adult risk/reward decisions (this is why the schools are picking fresh 19-20 year olds because they can’t sell their BS to even the mildly mature crowd).
Realistically, if your purpose is maximizing your lifetime earning potential then you should not be working in a medical field at all. I don’t think the numbers you are quoting for anticipated yearly pay are very accurate since they don’t line up with BLS data. If you are making under $120k per year, you are in the bottom 25th percentile per BLS. About 18% of pharmacist positions are just categorized as other by BLS (that would include regulators, educators, consultant pharmacy, industry ect). A combined 50% of pharmacists are in positions that could be classified as retail. Other major employment categories are hospital (27%) and ambulatory care (5%). It’s a decent job with decent prospects. For the original poster, I think it’s fair to say that pharmacy isn’t an easy money gold mine and they should take that into consideration when making their final decision. Pharmacy also isn’t what you are making it out to be. Your statements are simply factually incorrect based on the best data we have from BLS. Unrealistic pessimism doesn’t serve the original poster any better than delusional optimism.

Realistically, if your purpose is maximizing your lifetime earning potential then you should not be working in a medical field at all. I don’t think the numbers you are quoting for anticipated yearly pay are very accurate since they don’t line up with BLS data. If you are making under $120k per year, you are in the bottom 25th percentile per BLS. About 18% of pharmacist positions are just categorized as other by BLS (that would include regulators, educators, consultant pharmacy, industry ect). A combined 50% of pharmacists are in positions that could be classified as retail. Other major employment categories are hospital (27%) and ambulatory care (5%). It’s a decent job with decent prospects. For the original poster, I think it’s fair to say that pharmacy isn’t an easy money gold mine and they should take that into consideration when making their final decision. Pharmacy also isn’t what you are making it out to be. Your statements are simply factually incorrect based on the best data we have from BLS. Unrealistic pessimism doesn’t serve the original poster any better than delusional optimism.

My statements are actually factually correct, not sure where the disconnect is. Also, not sure if you are truly serious as the numbers and data are blatantly out there, you’d have to try to not see it. And yes, it’s literally the worst ranked and projected profession in existence (BLS/HRSA), that’s a fact no matter ones belief - it is literally the worst choice one can make, especially considering opportunity cost/debt. BLS median salary is skewed heavily by old schoolers refusing to leave their positions because they know as soon as they do they won’t find another job with the same pay, in addition to being skewed by salaries in Cali (state with most schools/grads/employees, where 150k is 90k anywhere else). New grads are at 45-50/hr (75-80k), there is extensive nationwide data salesheets on this, you can go state by state and verify it. These numbers are modest because it doesn’t account for COL. 150k in Cali is 90k anywhere else. Seeing as Cali is one of the states with the largest amount of schools and individuals going into the workforce, you can see how that works out into the 128k median (or doesn’t). BLS also doesn’t account for underemployed or unemployed, of which there are many.

Looking just at the surface leaves a lot out, the schools are hoping people Google pharmacy and see 128k, when new grads are not earning that now much less in 6-10 years if starting now. Going into Industry? It’s out of scope for almost every student at 1% (~200 PharmDs went into Industry in 2021, that’s a fact).

I’m not attacking Pharmacy, i would say the same for anything else that was just as bad and had no ROI considering what you have to give up, but it’s exhausting hearing people continue to make excuses wether they are about moving to the middle of nowhere to even get a 80-90k job, provider status, clinical roles that are mythically going to open up (which HRSA is accounting for by the way in their 60,000 oversupply in the next 10 years) after 6-10 years of school and 150-200k debt. There are so, so many options (and it makes sense why pharmacy is ranked last), where you can earn more, be in little/no debt, with significantly less schooling (years and years) that would put you 500k+ ahead of any pharmacist by the time they even enter the workforce (even in healthcare).

My paycheck as of 8/4/2022 BEFORE deductions and such. Hospital pharmacist for about 10 years!

View attachment 358159

Being serious here as i want to make sure and not make assumptions, are you saying that’s good or bad?

If the former, keep in mind you’ve been a pharmacist for 10 years, we’re talking new grads 45-50/hr (75-80k), pharmacy has changed drastically just in the past 1-2 years much less 10. 10 years ago was the golden era, and how much has it gone up since then/kept up with inflation (i would guess barely if at all)? And a major point here, that also has significant OT/differentials/PTO/PTO buyback and holiday pay (~$30,000), without which you’d be at 92,000. Not everyone can/wants to do OT/holidays and/or works jobs that offer differentials. Where you’re located/COL also factors in, as 120k in Cali is slightly above the poverty line (exaggerating a bit but not by much). Again, this is just if you showed it to state it was good, if otherwise please disregard.

Last edited:
  • Love
Being serious here as i want to make sure and not make assumptions, are you saying that’s good or bad?

If the former, keep in mind you’ve been a pharmacist for 10 years, we’re talking new grads 45-50/hr (75-80k), pharmacy has changed drastically just in the past 1-2 years much less 10. 10 years ago was the golden era, and how much has it gone up since then/kept up with inflation (i would guess barely if at all)? And a major point here, that also has significant OT/differentials (~$30,000), without which you’d be at 92,000. Not everyone can/wants to do OT and/or works jobs that offer differentials. Again, this is just of you showed it to state it was good, if otherwise please disregard.
Neither good nor bad. Just showing what I make lol

My statements are actually factually correct, not sure where the disconnect is. Also, not sure if you are truly serious as the numbers and data are blatantly out there, you’d have to try to not see it. And yes, it’s literally the worst ranked and projected profession in existence (BLS/HRSA), that’s a fact no matter ones belief - it is literally the worst choice one can make, especially considering opportunity cost/debt. BLS median salary is skewed heavily by old schoolers refusing to leave their positions because they know as soon as they do they won’t find another job with the same pay, in addition to being skewed by salaries in Cali (state with most schools/grads/employees, where 150k is 90k anywhere else). New grads are at 45-50/hr (75-80k), there is extensive nationwide data salesheets on this, you can go state by state and verify it. These numbers are modest because it doesn’t account for COL. 150k in Cali is 90k anywhere else. Seeing as Cali is one of the states with the largest amount of schools and individuals going into the workforce, you can see how that works out into the 128k median (or doesn’t). BLS also doesn’t account for underemployed or unemployed, of which there are many.

Looking just at the surface leaves a lot out, the schools are hoping people Google pharmacy and see 128k, when new grads are not earning that now much less in 6-10 years if starting now. Going into Industry? It’s out of scope for almost every student at 1% (~200 PharmDs went into Industry in 2021, that’s a fact).

I’m not attacking Pharmacy, i would say the same for anything else that was just as bad and had no ROI considering what you have to give up, but it’s exhausting hearing people continue to make excuses wether they are about moving to the middle of nowhere to even get a 80-90k job, provider status, clinical roles that are mythically going to open up (which HRSA is accounting for by the way in their 60,000 oversupply in the next 10 years) after 6-10 years of school and 150-200k debt. There are so, so many options (and it makes sense why pharmacy is ranked last), where you can earn more, be in little/no debt, with significantly less schooling (years and years) that would put you 500k+ ahead of any pharmacist by the time they even enter the workforce (even in healthcare).
Can you cite your sources because you are saying the survey data is incorrect but you aren’t providing any alternate resources. You are of course welcome to your opinion, but statements like “pharmacists is the worst profession” is just opinion. Additionally, the factual statements you are making to support that opinion are incorrect. Even your explanation for salary being inflated in survey data makes no sense unless 75% of pharmacists are either working in California or are nearing retirement. Actually, if that were true, everyone should go into pharmacy because (per your argument) 75% of pharmacists are about to retire. I wonder if you are confusing median and mean.

Are you a pharmacist? If so has this been your personal experience? Are you financial insecure and unable to afford basic needs?

Are you not a pharmacist? If so, why do you think your uninformed opinion is more relevant than survey data?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

If the former, keep in mind you’ve been a pharmacist for 10 years, we’re talking new grads 45-50/hr (75-80k), pharmacy has changed drastically just in the past 1-2 years much less 10. 10 years ago was the golden era, and how much has it gone up since then/kept up with inflation (i would guess barely if at all)? And a major point here, that also has significant OT/differentials/PTO/PTO buyback and holiday pay (~$30,000), without which you’d be at 92,000. Not everyone can/wants to do OT/holidays and/or works jobs that offer differentials. Where you’re located/COL also factors in, as 120k in Cali is slightly above the poverty line (exaggerating a bit but not by much). Again, this is just if you showed it to state it was good, if otherwise please disregard.
For the love of god, stop saying Cali. Nobody here calls it that unless they’re doing it ironically to make fun of LL Cool J…and then you’re dating yourself.

Can you cite your sources because you are saying the survey data is incorrect but you aren’t providing any alternate resources. You are of course welcome to your opinion, but statements like “pharmacists is the worst profession” is just opinion. Additionally, the factual statements you are making to support that opinion are incorrect. Even your explanation for salary being inflated in survey data makes no sense unless 75% of pharmacists are either working in California or are nearing retirement. Actually, if that were true, everyone should go into pharmacy because (per your argument) 75% of pharmacists are about to retire. I wonder if you are confusing median and mean.

Are you a pharmacist? If so has this been your personal experience? Are you financial insecure and unable to afford basic needs?

Are you not a pharmacist? If so, why do you think your uninformed opinion is more relevant than survey data?

How can it be an opinion when it’s a fact by BLS? See www.200challenge.com if you believe otherwise/have data that says otherwise. It’s constantly ranked last in healthcare, that is also a fact, do a quick Google search, it’s not even difficult by any means to find. And no
, not 75% (not sure where you get that and that % is not necessary to skew it to this degree) but when it’s the state with the most schools/pumps the largest amount of employees out, it will absolutely skew the data. You can continue to claims it’s “personal opinion” or “uninformed opinion” when it’s nothing but facts (and i have no horse in this race), it still won’t alter the facts that are coming out BLS/HRSA/NABP. Either you are trolling, not a pharmacist, or there is a major disconnect from reality/inability to understand/look up basic information, but this whole “it’s a personal” opinion is a weak argument, you just seem to refuse to want look into it/want me to do the work for you perhaps? Ignorance is not bliss in this case, it’s just ignorance.

Yes i am. Are you, or are you a student? What does being a pharmacist that have to do with the facts/data? They’re not mutually exclusive. We’re also talking new grads. Some of us, even on here who post, know that while we do ok/better than most, it has to do largely with right place/right time/luck and the amount of time we’ve been practicing (since the golden era of pharmacy), and that pharmacy is a no ROI game now considering what you give up and how many alternatives there are for higher pay right off the bat, not having to go to the middle of nowhere to get a job, no 6-10 years of school, no 150-200k debt (300k is even common), etc. Pharmacy has completely changed in the last 1-2 years much less the last decade, and everything that was predicted a decade ago was ignored, and we’re now living it. The same way you’re choosing to excuse its state currently. Do you know about basic supply/demand (no offense)? The schools continue to push out 15,000 students each year and are at 92-93% acceptance rates (NABP). Even if half the schools in the country closed today (70+ schools), there would still be an oversupply in 10 years (that’s accounting for the mythical new positions and mythical provider status the schools keep BSing these kids about).

Don’t confuse the fact of doing ok (even if you yourself are a pharmacist), with new grads/ones starting today being able to pull off the same. And by doing “ok”, i mean significantly more than 100k as 100k is not what it used to be whatsoever and will not get you much these days, especially with 200k loans, for which you gave up 6-10 years of opportunity cost.

Last edited:
How can it be an opinion when it’s a fact by BLS? See www.200challenge.com if you believe otherwise/have data that says otherwise. It’s constantly ranked last in healthcare, that is also a fact, do a quick Google search, it’s not even difficult by any means to find. And no
, not 75% (not sure where you get that and that % is not necessary to skew it to this degree) but when it’s the state with the most schools/pumps the largest amount of employees out, it will absolutely skew the data. You can continue to claims it’s “personal opinion” or “uninformed opinion” when it’s nothing but facts (and i have no horse in this race), it still won’t alter the facts that are coming out BLS/HRSA/NABP. Either you are trolling, not a pharmacist, or there is a major disconnect from reality/inability to understand/look up basic information, but this whole “it’s a personal” opinion is a weak argument, you just seem to refuse to want look into it/want me to do the work for you perhaps? Ignorance is not bliss in this case, it’s just ignorance.

Yes i am. Are you, or are you a student? What does being a pharmacist that have to do with the facts/data? They’re not mutually exclusive. We’re also talking new grads. Some of us, even on here who post, know that while we do ok/better than most, it has to do largely with right place/right time/luck and the amount of time we’ve been practicing (since the golden era of pharmacy), and that pharmacy is a no ROI game now considering what you give up and how many alternatives there are for higher pay right off the bat, not having to go to the middle of nowhere to get a job, no 6-10 years of school, no 150-200k debt (300k is even common), etc. Pharmacy has completely changed in the last 1-2 years much less the last decade, and everything that was predicted a decade ago was ignored, and we’re now living it. The same way you’re choosing to excuse its state currently. Do you know about basic supply/demand (no offense)? The schools continue to push out 15,000 students each year and are at 92-93% acceptance rates (NABP). Even if half the schools in the country closed today (70+ schools), there would still be an oversupply in 10 years (that’s accounting for the mythical new positions and mythical provider status the schools keep BSing these kids about).

Don’t confuse the fact of doing ok (even if you yourself are a pharmacist), with new grads/ones starting today being able to pull off the same. And by doing “ok”, i mean significantly more than 100k as 100k is not what it used to be whatsoever and will not get you much these days, especially with 200k loans, for which you gave up 6-10 years of opportunity cost.
There’s a real Lake Wobegon effect on this forum. Everyone says they’re doing well but that they know they’re doing better than everyone else. Particularly the new grads with student loans who just can’t get a break.

I feel like I’m doing pretty average. I make more money than I ever thought I’d earn and while I work a lot of hours, it’s a pretty easy effort.

Things are rough all over, pony boy. All new grads in all fields have a lot of debt and most jobs for new grads in all fields don’t get paid enough.

The information I gave (that you disagree with) is from BLS. Your conclusions are not based on survey data from BLS. In fact you are arguing that the data from BLS is inaccurate (not sure what you are basing that conclusion on). In terms of saturation, BLS predicts that turn over from retirement will approximately keep pace with NAPLEX pass rates. It’s not a growing industry with extreme need in all markets, but it’s far from a saturated industry.

This is based on just my memory so take it with a grain of salt, but when I entered pharmacy school my anticipated annual pay was 80-100k. It’s now 100-120k. A 20-25% increase in about 10 years doesn’t quite keep up with inflation but it is closer than most professions. I agree with you on the loans. I had heard that your total loans should not exceed your anticipated yearly salary. I kept my student loans well under 100k but I also worked 20+ hours a week during school and full time during any school breaks. Not everyone has that much flexibility for scheduling.

The 200 challenge is embarrassing. Right at the bottom they admit that their use of only new job growth in evaluating an industry would mean that surgeons have worse job prospects than pharmacists. They just refuse to pay out the money they owe because surgeons are a type of doctor.

Also, the 75% comment was just a joke about how your response confused median and mean. Since BLS reports median and quartiles for pay, your explanation of the pay being so much higher than what you were claiming would mean that 75% of pharmacists are in the higher pay categories that you were claiming as the exception to the rule. I was just being silly about the misunderstanding.

Last edited:
For the love of god, stop saying Cali. Nobody here calls it that unless they’re doing it ironically to make fun of LL Cool J…and then you’re dating yourself.

• Haha
There’s a real Lake Wobegon effect on this forum. Everyone says they’re doing well but that they know they’re doing better than everyone else. Particularly the new grads with student loans who just can’t get a break.

I feel like I’m doing pretty average. I make more money than I ever thought I’d earn and while I work a lot of hours, it’s a pretty easy effort.

Things are rough all over, pony boy. All new grads in all fields have a lot of debt and most jobs for new grads in all fields don’t get paid enough.

“ Things are rough all over, pony boy. All new grads in all fields have a lot of debt and most jobs for new grads in all fields don’t get paid enough.”

This is a terrible way to justify it and a tedious excuse i keep seeing for some PharmDs to excuse their choices (keep in mind i am pharmacist too). No, they are not, pharmacist is ranked last for a reason and it’s because there are many alternatives (even in healthcare) with significantly less debt, opportunity cost, etc. that earn as much or more straight out of school (and have jobs lined up way before graduation. PA, CRNA, etc. PA is 2 years vs additional 2-4 for pharmacy. None of them take less than 100k+ bonus out of school, derm/ortho positions are chill with 150k+bonus being extremely common. CRNAs don’t make less than 200k out of school. You’d have 200-500k in your pocket by the time a pharmacist even enters the workforce (assuming they can even get a job). Pharmacy is -2% job loses per BLS, PA and the others are 30%+ job GROWTH. Even based on HRSA, these alternative will still have a 10 year shortage of supply vs demand, where pharmacy reached demand years and years ago and has been in oversupply for ~5 years, with no projection to decline in the next 10 years due to the amount of schools (70 vs 150 now that have popped up), on the contrary there will still be an oversupply even if half the schools in the country closed today.

Additionally, these other alternatives know how to unionize, control class sizes (35-50 is the avg class size), etc. I agree, every profession has its sides, especially within the broken healthcare system in the US, but there is significantly better choices than the bottom of the totem pole that has now become pharmacy (10-15 years ago was a different story and i would say it would of been a good investment of time/money but tuition back them was also a fraction). Using the excuse that every field has it’s negatives is a moot point that cannot take the facts of significantly better alternatives away, given the many alternatives with significantly lower debt, lower opportunity cost, and higher out of school pay.

Everytime I call a contractor to have work done, they are out on vacation overseas somewhere. Whether I need a roofer, plumber, electrician, carpenter etc. They're always working less and living it up more. They make just as much as pharmacists or more, with none of the debt. You are lucky if they even show up for a quote, much less for the actual job. They get to pick and choose which jobs they want to take. Not saying everyone can go into the trades, but this is just one example of how many better options there are out there.

Fun fact, former MTV VJ Ananda Lewis became a carpenter

The 200 challenge is embarrassing. Right at the bottom they admit that their use of only new job growth in evaluating an industry would mean that surgeons have worse job prospects than pharmacists. They just refuse to pay out the money they owe because surgeons are a type of doctor.
I love how this 200challenege website is a website literally made by someone on these forums and this guy loves citing it as if it's actually relevant. I guess I could go make a website with some stupid crap on it and cite it as factual...

I love how this 200challenege website is a website literally made by someone on these forums and this guy loves citing it as if it's actually relevant. I guess I could go make a website with some stupid crap on it and cite it as factual...

It’s obviously made to be a game, but nothing said in there is not true. The facts based on BLS/HRSA/NABP remain and that is the “factual” aspect of it, but you refuse to look at them. If not them, not this, not last rank in healthcare, than what is good enough for you? If you think you know something we don’t (who’ve been doing it for decades), then go ahead and collect a few hundred $$, easy money right? If either of you are students (what it seems like) it would make sense the blatant ignorance to the data you have, it is the same thing i see from many of the students i precept every year. You didn’t believe it 10 years ago (if you even had anything to do with pharmacy back then), you don’t believe it now that we’re living it, you won’t believe it when the projections (worse situation than we’re even in now) come true which they surely will given history, then what’s good enough for you? Blatantly opposing the facts and data while claiming it’s an opinion (which it isn’t) does nothing, and you have demonstrated whatever minimal data you’ve been exposed to, you only barely see it for what it is at the surface and don’t truly understand it. No point feeding into it further, i’ve been in this for decades, please come back in a few years to let us know what you think then (spoiler: i’ve seen this play out before).

It’s obviously made to be a game, but nothing said in there is not true. The facts based on BLS/HRSA/NABP remain and that is the “factual” aspect of it, but you refuse to look at them. If not them, not this, not last rank in healthcare, than what is good enough for you? If you think you know something we don’t (who’ve been doing it for decades), then go ahead and collect a few hundred $$, easy money right? If either of you are students (what it seems like) it would make sense the blatant ignorance to the data you have, it is the same thing i see from many of the students i precept every year. You didn’t believe it 10 years ago (if you even had anything to do with pharmacy back then), you don’t believe it now that we’re living it, you won’t believe it when the projections (worse situation than we’re even in now) come true which they surely will given history, then what’s good enough for you? Blatantly opposing the facts and data while claiming it’s an opinion (which it isn’t) does nothing, and you have demonstrated whatever minimal data you’ve been exposed to, you only barely see it for what it is at the surface and don’t truly understand it. No point feeding into it further, i’ve been in this for decades, please come back in a few years to let us know what you think then (spoiler: i’ve seen this play out before).
You're one to talk about ignorance to the facts. You make up your own facts and say there are 'national spreadsheets' and when Abby Atwood presented the BLS stats you simply said no thats wrong. There is no arguing with you since you just believe whatever you want and wont even present your data. have you looked at BLS lately? distribution of pharmacists isn't 70% retail like you claim but whatever dude, keep sipping that koolaid.

“ Things are rough all over, pony boy. All new grads in all fields have a lot of debt and most jobs for new grads in all fields don’t get paid enough.”

This is a terrible way to justify it and a tedious excuse i keep seeing for some PharmDs to excuse their choices (keep in mind i am pharmacist too). No, they are not, pharmacist is ranked last for a reason and it’s because there are many alternatives (even in healthcare) with significantly less debt, opportunity cost, etc. that earn as much or more straight out of school (and have jobs lined up way before graduation. PA, CRNA, etc. PA is 2 years vs additional 2-4 for pharmacy. None of them take less than 100k+ bonus out of school, derm/ortho positions are chill with 150k+bonus being extremely common. CRNAs don’t make less than 200k out of school. You’d have 200-500k in your pocket by the time a pharmacist even enters the workforce (assuming they can even get a job). Pharmacy is -2% job loses per BLS, PA and the others are 30%+ job GROWTH. Even based on HRSA, these alternative will still have a 10 year shortage of supply vs demand, where pharmacy reached demand years and years ago and has been in oversupply for ~5 years, with no projection to decline in the next 10 years due to the amount of schools (70 vs 150 now that have popped up), on the contrary there will still be an oversupply even if half the schools in the country closed today.

Additionally, these other alternatives know how to unionize, control class sizes (35-50 is the avg class size), etc. I agree, every profession has its sides, especially within the broken healthcare system in the US, but there is significantly better choices than the bottom of the totem pole that has now become pharmacy (10-15 years ago was a different story and i would say it would of been a good investment of time/money but tuition back them was also a fraction). Using the excuse that every field has it’s negatives is a moot point that cannot take the facts of significantly better alternatives away, given the many alternatives with significantly lower debt, lower opportunity cost, and higher out of school pay.
Every hospital job I’ve had has been unionized. The pharmacists in the other health system in my area just voted to unionize. They ended up getting a 20% raise with their first contract. You’re likely in a crappy state where unions in general aren’t particularly popular (and not powerful due to pro-business state laws). Either way, you can do something about it. Unionizing isn’t easy. You need to convince the majority of your coworkers that it’s a good idea and realistically >85% if you want your employer to take you seriously. But you can be the change I stared of pages and pages of whining in an Internet forum.

I graduated in May. Everything you seem to post is based on assumptions, I am only going on the facts that I know, I'm a pretty social person and I happen to know a vast majority of my class, nobody took a job paying less than 50.00 that I know of. I happen to know the starting pays in Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, Abilene, Amarillo, Lubbock, San Antonio, San Angelo, Waco, and Texarkana for CVS, Walgreens, HEB, Kroger, and Market Street/United. I myself graduated with 3 hospital job offers all full-time, all >53.5/hr. Not only that but little doomers like yourself have been on these forums since I was a little baby p0 claiming I would never get a job and if I do that I will only make 35/hr, now that I've graduated and gotten 3 hospital offers you guys claim that "I'm a unicorn". There really is no pleasing you and you're just a doomer.

Not only did most every in my class get a job, but most everyone in the last 4 classes since I was a P1 got a job. Even the dumbest of the dumb students got jobs, the cringiest of the cringe students got jobs, walgreens just had another pay increase to pharmacists in Texas again.

Only thing I will say on this thread is that OP should drop out because they won't cut it in pharmacy if they cant even handle it right now. I was a technician for a while before school, I knew what pharmacy was like before school and knew that I would enjoy it. I didn't just google good paying jobs, or think of the easiest thing to do.
I am sorry, I am not one of the "little doomers", but the state of the profession is alarming at best. You have been a pharmacist since MAY, now that is impressive, a whole 3-4 months and you have this incredible clarity and conviction about the profession. Why don't you come talk to me after, let's say 36 years and 6 months, but then again you know everything now, so why wait!
This Texas Tech you speak of sounds like a magical place. 100% graduation, 100% pass NAPLEX, 100% pass MPJE, 100% employment, 100% make $100K+. AND 100% seem to want to share all this with you! Where as the rest of the "real world" struggles with employment, salaries, and passing rates. Every graduating class member in the last 3 years at TT have talked to you about jobs and salaries. No wonder you have countless employers after you, you are clairvoyant and already know it all! Three job offers all paying >$53.5 just doesn't seem adequate for someone like you.
But then again, what do I know, I have only been a pharmacist, Pharm.D., PGY-1 trained, preceptor and BS'er for 36+ years. Eventually I will arrive at your truth!
Your insight and comprehensive summary of the profession is comical. I know you will have a great response to this, bring it on. I am loving this comic relief.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Well that settles it then. Moderators should lock this thread up and make it a sticky. OP should go to Texas Tech and borrow another 200k to finish cause they are guaranteed to get several union hospital job offers that pay over 100k. 100% guaranteed based on the job placement of its last 750 students. If you don't have a union hospital job then you need to stop whining and do something about it like the grads from Texas Tech. Why take the advice of pharmacists with years of experience when you can listen to a newly minted PharmD who passed his exam 2 months ago?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
IGRA:
Trying not to beat a long dead horse. BUT,
Texas Tech is THE (fourth) BEST PHARMACY SCHOOL in TEXAS. (look it up)
Pharmacy graduation rate was 84%. (very nice these days with the quality of students that get in)
NAPLEX pass rate was an impressive 81% (out of the 84% that were allowed to take it)!
The PCOA (ranking Curriculum) was 53-55%, a very solid but very average score.
EVERY indicator is tanking, for the last 3 years! (but everything is looking up!)
Assuming you had 150 4th year people, 126 graduated, 102 passed NAPLEX
Who knows how many got GREAT jobs, with $100K plus money. BUT I know exactly how many didn't, at least 48 of you!

Academic Information

Strong Points of the Texas Tech School of Pharmacy Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) Program​

Accreditation: The Doctor of Pharmacy Program of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Pharmacy is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education through June 30, 2028.

On-Time Graduation Rate (4 Years)
Class Year202220212020
Graduation Rate84%92%90%
First Time Passing Rate on NAPLEX
2021 Graduates2020 Graduates2019 Graduates
TTUHSC Pass Rate81%93%89%
State Pass Rate83%87%89%
National Pass Rate84%87%87%
Pharmacy Curriculum Outcomes Assessment (PCOA)
Class Year202220212020
3rd Year - Percentile Rank555759
4th Year - Percentile Rank536472
Graduates Entering Residencies
Class Year202220212020
Number of Graduates314039

AND YES, Unions have a rich history and tradition in the US. We should all be organizing and joining unions. I heard someone by the name of Jimmy Hoffa strongly endorses Unions. Hey it worked out for him!

• Haha
Well that settles it then. Moderators should lock this thread up and make it a sticky. OP should go to Texas Tech and borrow another 200k to finish cause they are guaranteed to get several union hospital job offers that pay over 100k. 100% guaranteed based on the job placement of its last 750 students. If you don't have a union hospital job then you need to stop whining and do something about it like the grads from Texas Tech. Why take the advice of pharmacists with years of experience when you can listen to a newly minted PharmD who passed his exam 2 months ago?

Agreed and assuming he passed or that he’s even taken it yet lol. I know some from this year that haven’t taken it yet.

IGRA:
Trying not to beat a long dead horse. BUT,
Texas Tech is THE (fourth) BEST PHARMACY SCHOOL in TEXAS. (look it up)
Pharmacy graduation rate was 84%. (very nice these days with the quality of students that get in)
NAPLEX pass rate was an impressive 81% (out of the 84% that were allowed to take it)!
The PCOA (ranking Curriculum) was 53-55%, a very solid but very average score.
EVERY indicator is tanking, for the last 3 years! (but everything is looking up!)
Assuming you had 150 4th year people, 126 graduated, 102 passed NAPLEX
Who knows how many got GREAT jobs, with $100K plus money. BUT I know exactly how many didn't, at least 48 of you!

Academic Information

Strong Points of the Texas Tech School of Pharmacy Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) Program​

Accreditation: The Doctor of Pharmacy Program of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Pharmacy is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education through June 30, 2028.

On-Time Graduation Rate (4 Years)
Class Year202220212020
Graduation Rate84%92%90%
First Time Passing Rate on NAPLEX
2021 Graduates2020 Graduates2019 Graduates
TTUHSC Pass Rate81%93%89%
State Pass Rate83%87%89%
National Pass Rate84%87%87%
Pharmacy Curriculum Outcomes Assessment (PCOA)
Class Year202220212020
3rd Year - Percentile Rank555759
4th Year - Percentile Rank536472
Graduates Entering Residencies
Class Year202220212020
Number of Graduates314039

Nice lol. He/she claimed he/she knew the job status and salary of the past 3-4 classes as well so that’s probably 150-200/750 that didn’t even get jobs assuming similar (and not worse) stats from previous years.

Edit: nice boost too on 2020 and 2021 graduation rates. Nearby schools had them taking exams from home unproctored, similar outcome to say the least, and once back on campus..

Last edited:

Exactly. Biggie was from the east coast and put Cali in the title, but the West Coast rappers did it properly when they titled our official state entrance song as “California Love.”

Regrettably, 2Pac and Dre used “Cali” in the lyrics, but only to maintain rhythm.

Same with LL Cool J (representing Queens) and “Going Back to Cali” and Hizzy (New York) “Cali” vs Katy Perry (from Santa Barbara, CA) + Snoop Dogg “California Gurls,” The Beach Boys “California Girls,” and The Eagles (Los Angeles) “Hotel California”

It’s pretty easy to pick out tourists (if wearing shorts in San Francisco in July wasn’t the dead giveaway).

Exactly. Biggie was from the east coast and put Cali in the title, but the West Coast rappers did it properly when they titled our official state entrance song as “California Love.”

Regrettably, 2Pac and Dre used “Cali” in the lyrics, but only to maintain rhythm.

Same with LL Cool J (representing Queens) and “Going Back to Cali” and Hizzy (New York) “Cali” vs Katy Perry (from Santa Barbara, CA) + Snoop Dogg “California Gurls,” The Beach Boys “California Girls,” and The Eagles (Los Angeles) “Hotel California”

It’s pretty easy to pick out tourists (if wearing shorts in San Francisco in July wasn’t the dead giveaway).

What's wrong with wearing shorts in San Fran?

Hi everyone! I desperately need your opinion. My background: I am 28 year old immigrant. I moved to USA 6 years ago. I got my associates from CC and got accepted to PharmD program (the best school in IL). Now, I am about to be a second year pharmacy student and I am afraid of my future. My fiancé is a web developer. Looking at his work/life schedule I feel like I did a mistake. I went into pharmacy because it didn’t require a bachelors degree, and being an immigrant and go to school for full time is extremely hard. That’s why I choice the easier way. Now, thinking about my future and looking at my loans I am thinking of quitting and perusing something else instead. Additionally, I used to work at CVS, but couldn’t take it so I quit. Currently I don’t work at all. And before I start my second year, I wanted to get some advice from you!
Thank you!
I know you are looking at these responses, wondering when this train went off the tracks (we stopped making sense!). We apologize, seems there was a massive derailment a while back. Seriously, as a former immigrant, and a current pharmacist, I have to say, if your heart is in it, stay the course. If you put time and effort in it, the pharmacy profession is not all bad. Every person who is on this forum, and is telling you to cut bait (leave) is gainfully employed as a pharmacist, making a living. Pharmacy has been very good to me, provided me with the means to support a family, pay my bills, AND make my parents proud. In immigrant families, the last point is very important. My sister is an MD, and this is the least acceptable profession I could do.
If you hated the CVS job, and that's why you quit, get out now, write off the one year and go into web design or something else. This is my best advice. I have been where you are at, came to this country as a 17yo. But I had a love for pharmacy, I was so proud of my first hospital badge as a first year intern. Wouldn't take the badge off, no matter what. I still love the profession, will keep working until I am 80.
Good luck with your choices.
OR go to Texas Tech, I have heard that they ALL do well and prosper immensely in that school (sorry got derailed again).

• Love
I know you are looking at these responses, wondering when this train went off the tracks (we stopped making sense!). We apologize, seems there was a massive derailment a while back. Seriously, as a former immigrant, and a current pharmacist, I have to say, if your heart is in it, stay the course. If you put time and effort in it, the pharmacy profession is not all bad. Every person who is on this forum, and is telling you to cut bait (leave) is gainfully employed as a pharmacist, making a living. Pharmacy has been very good to me, provided me with the means to support a family, pay my bills, AND make my parents proud. In immigrant families, the last point is very important. My sister is an MD, and this is the least acceptable profession I could do.
If you hated the CVS job, and that's why you quit, get out now, write off the one year and go into web design or something else. This is my best advice. I have been where you are at, came to this country as a 17yo. But I had a love for pharmacy, I was so proud of my first hospital badge as a first year intern. Wouldn't take the badge off, no matter what. I still love the profession, will keep working until I am 80.
Good luck with your choices.
OR go to Texas Tech, I have heard that they ALL do well and prosper immensely in that school (sorry got derailed again).
Long live and prosper like Leonard Nemoy! Sorry I also derailed! Geaux Red Raiders!

What's wrong with wearing shorts in San Fran?

If one enjoys their huevos shrinking inside the 55 degree fog line, be my guest!

No really though, it’s so easy to spot tourists this way. They come to Calif. thinking it’s all hot beaches and babes, and end up buying a $50 “SAN FRANCISCO” hoodie from a tourist shop because Karl came rolling in.

If one enjoys their huevos shrinking inside the 55 degree fog line, be my guest!

No really though, it’s so easy to spot tourists this way. They come to Calif. thinking it’s all hot beaches and babes, and end up buying a $50 “SAN FRANCISCO” hoodie from a tourist shop because Karl came rolling in.

LoL that was me! I bought a San Francisco hoody at the Golden Gate bridge tourist shop cause it was foggy and cold 😂 So Calif. is acceptable but not Cali?

LoL that was me! I bought a San Francisco hoody at the Golden Gate bridge tourist shop cause it was foggy and cold So Calif. is acceptable but not Cali?

lol I like how I described you to a T

Yes, Calif. is acceptable because no one says “Caliph” it’s usually just completed to “California”

Also, old post cards would be addressed this way and it reminds me of old times.

lol I like how I described you to a T

Yes, Calif. is acceptable because no one says “Caliph” it’s usually just completed to “California”

Also, old post cards would be addressed this way and it reminds me of old times.
I read it as "Caliph".

literally everyone in my graduating class got a job and nobody is making under 100k, just saying
i promise you not everyone got a full-time job even if you happened to ask ALL your classmates. and still believed their answers