"Should I stay or should I go now?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I can either stay at my undergrad institution (near my hometown) or go somewhere else for my MSTP years. My current thinking is that it would be good to diversify myself and go away for a while - but this means leaving my friends and family :-(

Obviously, this is a fairly personal choice for anyone. I'm just starting this thread for those with the same concern/dilema.

Is anyone else out there faced with this choice as well? Does anyone who has already made it care to reflect on their experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously this depends on the schools, but if your choices are equal in your esteem, I would advise "go." I always think that diversification and networking are the most important things you can do for yourself. Besides, by the time your MSTP is over, many of your friends will be long gone.

Yup, I'm in the same boat. My choices are very similar too :oops:. The stay school is different, but one potential go school is the same. I'm undecided as of yet. Perhaps the revisits will facilitate my decision ;).

And there is always the nebulous coin flip ...

Oak said:
Well, I can either stay at my undergrad institution (near my hometown) or go somewhere else for my MSTP years. My current thinking is that it would be good to diversify myself and go away for a while - but this means leaving my friends and family :-(

Obviously, this is a fairly personal choice for anyone. I'm just starting this thread for those with the same concern/dilema.

Is anyone else out there faced with this choice as well? Does anyone who has already made it care to reflect on their experiences?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oak said:

One vote for stay. Factoring in on the overall quality of the institution, your satisfaction with your current location, and your satisfaction with current friends & family...seven-plus years is a long time to go away somewhere. You may end up being grateful for the presence of "normal" (e.g. non-MD/PhD) support people nearby.

I say that you should go only if you are excited about the new location. If you are moving for the sole purpose of "diversifying" yourself, then I would suggest you stay at your home institution. I am all for moving to new places and getting a new experience, but only if there is a major part of you that wants to go to this new city - and not only because there's a great school there, but because it seems like a fun place to live.