SHOULD I STILL APPLY TO DENTAL SCHOOL...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meh20#

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI EVERYONE , first thanks for your time

I'm 24 years old and have a bachelor in biological sciences and I've always wanted to be a dentist, now the worst part of my story is that i started going to university 6 years ago which was Penn state and because of my awful situation which was caused of my parents arguing i didn't have a stable home so every couple days i had to move in or out of state with my mother and every time i started to thinking about my future i was distracted, long story short i either dropped or got failed to attendance grade for most of classes that i took and i did that for three years in a row, it was then that i decided to take responsibility and move out of my parents house, started working part time and received money from my mom, i started going to school and getting my degree in 3 year which includes two summer semesters each year, i have done 150 hrs of shadowing, my overall GPA 3.87,
DAT scores : natural sciences: 23, biology: 24, general chemistry: 27, organic: 23, quantitative reasoning: 21,
reading: 22, perceptual ability: 20

I'm going to apply this year anyway but i just wanted to see what you guys think if i have any chance of acceptance because of background of dropping semesters?????
the more it gets closer to June I'm getting more and more nervous!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Go for it! Nothing wrong with your stats at all. Your family situation is interesting and may catch their eye.

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds like a great personal statement!

solid DAT scores and an amazing GPA, you will do just fine getting in! :)

To be honest, I think it's pretty impressive to have that gpa with fails (are you including the gpa from classes you had to retake as well?). With those stats and a decent personal statement I think you'd be nothing short of insane to not apply this cycle.

Apply for sure!! You have a great GPA considering your hardships and rockstar DAT scores!

I don't think this is counting the F's (assuming you received any rather than W's) - it takes an absurd amount of credits with all A's to pull a GPA up to a 3.87 if you aren't grade replacing. That said your DAT is pretty strong and could help offset that - it's really going to depend on what your true GPA is through AADSAS.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think this is counting the F's (assuming you received any rather than W's) - it takes an absurd amount of credits with all A's to pull a GPA up to a 3.87 if you aren't grade replacing. That said your DAT is pretty strong and could help offset that - it's really going to depend on what your true GPA is through AADSAS.
I was going to say... I got one F and it was a painful process to raise my GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
yes apply! seems like if anything you can use your past struggles to show how it made you stronger. it helps to have good conversation topics during interviews. your stats are good. Even I'm impressed just reading your "story" and seeing your gpa and DAT scores. good job.

oh btw age doesnt matter. I have a classmate almost 40

Good gpa and DAT. I say take the leap and do it.

You're going to kill it! Your family history is only a bump in the road and shows commitment how you returned. Your stats are great and your family history sounds like it could become a great personal statement!