Should I still become a Pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhc513

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working at a pharmacy as a tech for a couple of months now and I like the actual job... but what I don't like is the customers. Everyone is always rude and will yell at you for just about anything. I keep a positive attitude and laugh about it, but sometimes it really gets to me even though I don't show it and I can't do anything about it. It's really making me rethink about staying in school to become a Pharmacist and I'm not sure what I should do. I've dreamed of becoming a pharmacist for years now and I have almost all of my pre-reqs done, possibly just one more year of undergrad, I just don't know how I'll deal with rude people for the rest of my life. I think that when I decide that enough is enough and I completely change my career-path, there's no other option for me since it has always been pharmacy. Do the customers stop being rude when you're a pharmacist or will I have to deal with poorly raised people for the rest of my career? Or any suggestions of what I should do with my life? Help please.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry, I was in your shoes as well. The first time a customer yelled at me, I cried lol. At my pharmacy, the pharmacist knows a lot of the patients so they're usually pretty kind to her but there are definitely customers/patients who are not above screaming at my pharmacist.
If you think about it, no matter what healthcare career you pursue, you will always have patients/customers screaming at you about one thing or the other. It's unavoidable in this industry. Just figure out ways to not let them get to you (tune out, take deep breaths, vent about them later to your co-workers). What may also help you is to speak with authority. Don't look or sound confused/not confident in what you're saying.
If none of this works, there are pharmacy positions where you don't have to interact with patients at all (verifying prescriptions off site).

I've been working at a pharmacy as a tech for a couple of months now and I like the actual job... but what I don't like is the customers. Everyone is always rude and will yell at you for just about anything. I keep a positive attitude and laugh about it, but sometimes it really gets to me even though I don't show it and I can't do anything about it. It's really making me rethink about staying in school to become a Pharmacist and I'm not sure what I should do. I've dreamed of becoming a pharmacist for years now and I have almost all of my pre-reqs done, possibly just one more year of undergrad, I just don't know how I'll deal with rude people for the rest of my life. I think that when I decide that enough is enough and I completely change my career-path, there's no other option for me since it has always been pharmacy. Do the customers stop being rude when you're a pharmacist or will I have to deal with poorly raised people for the rest of my career? Or any suggestions of what I should do with my life? Help please.

That’s after a few months....yes, it will keep happening over decades of your career choice. This is why it’s very important to WORK in the setting rather than just shadowing a few hours and claiming a career choice. I’m very glad your eyes are opened to that reality. Yes healthcare fields have the occasional patients yell at them but how many healthcare fields deal with just as many patients/customers as this job does on a daily basis? I have given out meds / answered phones more times a day than some cashiers at grocery stores or floor associates...

Now...outside of debt to income ratio with saturation and putting my thoughts aside on this segment for now, why do you claim this is your only choice career wise? Your GPA low? Good grades can take you anywhere so why you choose pharmacy (honestly what intrigued you and be honest).

You have PA / AA / RN - NP - CRNA / RRT / MD / DO and the list goes on...so again, why just pharmacy ? Research other jobs! it’s your life you deserve to find what critical factors in a job you enjoy the most. For all you know maybe it is being a pharmacist but then again perhaps not. Point is keep your options open and weigh the pros and cons.

Right now your thoughts and feelings may actually be telling you something..I’d listen

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Follow what your heart says (even if it's a little corny) :claps:
If you truly love pharmacy, stay where you are...
If this is your calling.... many customers yelling at you won't break your bones!
In the same token, if you feel that you will not see yourself as a professional in the pharmacy field and can't take it... my suggestion is drop out now!!! Things will only get worse.

It does not get better as a pharmacist. Also, do remember that the vast majority of the jobs are in retail and have always been, so you will most likely have to deal with the general public.

The patients get much ruder towards u as a pharmacist. In fact it is not rare for pharmacys to be robbed. Pharmaicsts are beaten, stabbed and killed.

4 Killed In Medford Pharmacy Shooting

No matter where you work, there will be those people. In hospital pharmacy, nurses and doctors are the customers, even they can be very rude sometimes. It is definitely worse in retail pharmacy, but don't let these hard feelings get you, because they are everywhere. This is part of growing up.

Reactions: 2 users
It's why I recommend computer science, engineering, accounting, finance, etc. so that you don't have to deal with the general public (and $200k+ loans). Also, you actually get lunch and bathroom breaks. Some companies in these professions even provide you catered meals.

Last edited: