Should I take a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seasquirt33

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was initially planning on applying this cycle, however I’ve been looking into the LOR requirements and I’m not sure I’m ready to apply. Basically I knew that I needed a LOR from a science professor, and I knew that would be my hardest letter to get given that I’m a humanities major and most of my science classes were taken during the pandemic over zoom. Looking now I need two science letters. I could possibly get those but I just don’t think they’d be that strong. It kinda sucks that that’s the thing holding me back from applying, but I think it’d be best to wait another year to secure more solid recommendations. As far as my other application requirements go, I have:
~100 non clinical volunteer hours
~100 clinical volunteer hours (school nurse at a local elementary)
~125 dental shadowing hours in various settings
~ 3.8 gpa / 3.8 science gpa
~ studying for the day right now but getting 23s on the practice tests
I have also been a D1 rower for my first two years of college (I’m a junior now) but decided to leave after a change in coaching staff and the experience becoming much less enjoyable.
So essentially, all of those hours have been from the past year.
Writing it out the choice seems clear, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Just get them and apply this cycle

Reactions: 2 users
If it's the LORs that is holding you back from applying, ask for the LORs and apply this cycle.

If it's burnout, not sure if dentistry is for you, want to travel, etc, take a gap year for sure. This is an expensive education/trade that you're acquiring and it will only get more expensive each year (tuition increase by 5% each year at certain schools).

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a 3.8 sGPA but you only point out you are considering just 2 professors who taught you during the pandemic, is this correct? I presume you don't have a prehealth advisor or a committee? You hopefully have more professors to ask, so I'm just wondering. You won't be the only one with this issue.

What are your 100 non clinical volunteering hours about?

I’m just going to ask the professors I have now and hope that they’ll write for me. The problem is I’ve literally only had 5 science professors. A couple are repeats, gen chem and orgo. Gen chem was over the pandemic and I have literally never spoken to the professor. I would have no apprehension about asking my orgo professor given that I’ve shown really good grade progression but his syllabus comment about LORs scares me a little (attached). Others professors were from asynchronous, online classes, or giant online lectures that I never when to office hours for. My last option is my BCMB prof right now, I don’t suspect that he gets a lot of requests given that his office hours are by appointment only and he’s kinda crazy. So I figure I’ll go to office hours a couple times and then ask him.

Attachments

• 04B0F051-CD26-419D-81E4-C4E8B5CB7A3B.jpeg
    04B0F051-CD26-419D-81E4-C4E8B5CB7A3B.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 65
You have a 3.8 sGPA but you only point out you are considering just 2 professors who taught you during the pandemic, is this correct? I presume you don't have a prehealth advisor or a committee? You hopefully have more professors to ask, so I'm just wondering. You won't be the only one with this issue.

What are your 100 non clinical volunteering hours about?
The non clinic volunteering was with meals on wheels during the pandemic

Reactions: 1 user
I’m just going to ask the professors I have now and hope that they’ll write for me. The problem is I’ve literally only had 5 science professors. A couple are repeats, gen chem and orgo. Gen chem was over the pandemic and I have literally never spoken to the professor. I would have no apprehension about asking my orgo professor given that I’ve shown really good grade progression but his syllabus comment about LORs scares me a little (attached). Others professors were from asynchronous, online classes, or giant online lectures that I never when to office hours for. My last option is my BCMB prof right now, I don’t suspect that he gets a lot of requests given that his office hours are by appointment only and he’s kinda crazy. So I figure I’ll go to office hours a couple times and then ask him.
A good thing to keep in mind is you are not going to be the only applicant in this situation. It's honestly probably better that you have repeats (I'm assuming you mean you had to repeat the class with a different professor?) as it shows that you were still committed to achieving a good result despite not getting the optimal result the first time and through a pandemic. You also have ~2.5 months before the cycle opens which is plenty of time for the professor(s) to write the LOR(s). Even if you end up getting the letter from the professor later than June, you can still ensure your other letters, transcript, personal statement, etc. are in on time and it shouldn't delay your application by much or even at all (but check whatever school's guidelines that you're applying to. Each one has some sort of caveat about when your application can be deemed complete). I hope this helps!

LOR is usually just a threshold component to your application so if that's the only problem then for sure apply this cycle as you been killing DAT practice with a solid GPA + EC you're definitely set. Just ask around to make sure you get the LOR you need for the application. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
just ask for the letters.

if you can get do well on the DAT, LORs should not be a reason to avoid applying.

remember all other students are in the same situation. just email prof and ask for em, remember they know the situation as well