should i take a kaplan course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sigh1234

Reaction score
my date is june 30th, the last day i can take it in this cycle to get a committee letter from my school. i've been studying here and there but really planning to grind from now till the date since im graduating soon. i was thinking of taking a course from may 23 - july 1 but not sure if itll help too much/at all since its last minute

help D: feeling very discouraged

Members don't see this ad.

When I took a Kaplan course, they recommended taking the MCAT 4+ weeks after the course ended, so your timeline really wouldn't be ideal for how the course is structured, which largely focuses on content review, in addition to a couple of test-taking strategies (which i didn't find too helpful and actually found that they hurt my score more than helped). I think the best thing you can do with ~8 weeks until test day would be doing the aamc qbanks. If you find that you need more practice questions, you could buy a uworld subscription which I've heard is very helpful although I did not use it.

just for reference, I took the MCAT twice last year- 508 at the end of April (4 weeks after my Kaplan course ended) and then a 517 in mid-July after doing only aamc qbanks that I did not finish and ignoring half of what the Kaplan instructors taught me for test-taking strategies

Reactions: 1 user
When I took a Kaplan course, they recommended taking the MCAT 4+ weeks after the course ended, so your timeline really wouldn't be ideal for how the course is structured, which largely focuses on content review, in addition to a couple of test-taking strategies (which i didn't find too helpful and actually found that they hurt my score more than helped). I think the best thing you can do with ~8 weeks until test day would be doing the aamc qbanks. If you find that you need more practice questions, you could buy a uworld subscription which I've heard is very helpful although I did not use it.

just for reference, I took the MCAT twice last year- 508 at the end of April (4 weeks after my Kaplan course ended) and then a 517 in mid-July after doing only aamc qbanks that I did not finish and ignoring half of what the Kaplan instructors taught me for test-taking strategies
thank you !!! this was really helpful

Reactions: 1 user