Should I take another year of classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Demosthenes1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an AA, LGTBQIA (the A specifically), pre-med who is currently sitting at a 3.58.
My MCAT is a 514, and I have a strong upward trend (last four semesters 3.4, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0) with my last three semesters having been heavily science and mathematics.
I have research (non-author) and triple majored at my undergrad (Poli Sci, Econ, Bio).
I also scored a 172 on my LSAT, and have research (no author) and volunteering (local government, IRS, Cleveland Clinic, and Shepard Internship Program).
Is there a way to be more competitive for my dream school, Stanford, and should I try to raise my GPA by going another year?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea, no. You should be fine, especially as URM. Even bigger plus if you have a great story. Don't know if you plan to include the LSAT score on your app but if you did, be sure to defend your choice for medicine over law

I'm an AA, LGTBQIA (the A specifically), pre-med who is currently sitting at a 3.58.
My MCAT is a 514, and I have a strong upward trend (last four semesters 3.4, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0) with my last three semesters having been heavily science and mathematics.
I have research (non-author) and triple majored at my undergrad (Poli Sci, Econ, Bio).
I also scored a 172 on my LSAT, and have research (no author) and volunteering (local government, IRS, Cleveland Clinic, and Shepard Internship Program).
Is there a way to be more competitive for my dream school, Stanford, and should I try to raise my GPA by going another year?

I'm not familiar with the new MCAT scoring, so if your score is statistically good then you're in a good spot. So, I'm not sure if it's worth taking a year of classes just to see a small bump of GPA given you're likely a senior with a lot of units.

To be more competitive, or maintain it, just be sure to continue your ECs that give you the most responsibility and unique experience and as such material to talk about on interview day/secondary applications.

Good job on your last few semesters, especially if the content was challenging. Best wishes next cycle!

I'm not familiar with the new MCAT scoring, so if your score is statistically good then you're in a good spot. So, I'm not sure if it's worth taking a year of classes just to see a small bump of GPA given you're likely a senior with a lot of units.

To be more competitive, or maintain it, just be sure to continue your ECs that give you the most responsibility and unique experience and as such material to talk about on interview day/secondary applications.

Good job on your last few semesters, especially if the content was challenging. Best wishes next cycle!

514 is roughly a 34 - 35 in percentile

Jesus, I thought it was a bit better than that. Should I retake?

is this for real?

EDIT: actually I am sorry, your MCAT is a 33 in terms of old MCAt

There's nothing wrong with that there are plenty of people who get into Stanford with a 33 MCAT; don't get cocky

is this for real?

EDIT: actually I am sorry, your MCAT is a 33 in terms of old MCAt

There's nothing wrong with that there are plenty of people who get into Stanford with a 33 MCAT; don't get cocky
I don't want to be seen as cocky, I'm just honestly incredibly worried about admissions. I'm not sure if I would be able to do better or not if I retook it. I'll cross my fingers.

I don't want to be seen as cocky, I'm just honestly incredibly worried about admissions. I'm not sure if I would be able to do better or not if I retook it. I'll cross my fingers.

You're percentile is 91th percentile.... If you eant to do better you'll need to beat at least 93% of test takers during round 2 (which is a 34). Morever, if you retake, then you will be expected to score at least 3 points higher on the old mcat which would be a 519-520 for MCAT 2015 because you're now familiar with the test and its conditions

Lettuce be cereal, You're worrying too much. You seem like a smart-man and will do well with your stats/make it. GPA and MCATs are like money; after a certain threshold, the marginal benefits provide less and less of an impact on your satisfaction/impression.

As @Goro said to me on my very first thread on SDN, if "you retake that perfectly fine score, I will reach over the electrons on your monitor and smack you hard!!!"

but seriously, @Goro help me talk him out of doing it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I've thought about it, but I'm not entirely sure what career options there are for MD/JD.
I would much rather do a MD/PhD in Biomedical Eng or something, something more useful for the medical community as a whole.