Should I take my mcat or attend St. James School of Medicine without taking the mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nursinganddoctorasiangal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My dream job is to become a physician. I've just recently graduated from an ADN (associates in registered nurse) and now is preparing for the NCLEX boards exam. I am deciding in going to medical school but is undecided whether I should take to mcat to gain admission to US schools or attend right away to one of the carribean schools (St. James which does not require the MCAT). I have done a lot of extensive research regarding this. I have a few questions listed here:

1. For those who have taken the MCAT, does 2 years of nursing school at one of the city colleges prepares me for the mcat?

2. Despite the the chance of being admitted to residency from Carribean schools, is it worth it to go through this path? I will be persistent in doing whatever I can to succeed in medical school.

Any recommendations would greatly help. Thanks!!!

Mai

Members don't see this ad.

1. no. take the med school prereqs and whatever they are recommending for the new,mcat section. you will need a bachelors so you have time

2. are you a us citizen? if so, dont go carribean

Members don't see this ad :)
My dream job is to become a physician. I've just recently graduated from an ADN (associates in registered nurse) and now is preparing for the NCLEX boards exam. I am deciding in going to medical school but is undecided whether I should take to mcat to gain admission to US schools or attend right away to one of the carribean schools (St. James which does not require the MCAT). I have done a lot of extensive research regarding this. I have a few questions listed here:

1. For those who have taken the MCAT, does 2 years of nursing school at one of the city colleges prepares me for the mcat?

2. Despite the the chance of being admitted to residency from Carribean schools, is it worth it to go through this path? I will be persistent in doing whatever I can to succeed in medical school.

Any recommendations would greatly help. Thanks!!!

Mai
AS a nurse who is experienced and currently appling let me try and give you what wisdom I can.

1. No way in hell does it prepare you for MCAT. They have nothing to do with each other, except maybe a little help on the Bio section.

2. No you should not goto Caribbean, my friend did, and we had to call individual residencies and pretty much beg to see if they would even take him (For Family Practice, not a specialty). What you should do is take all the prereqs at a University (And perhaps consider a second bachelors or post grad program to help with GPA). It is okay to have online classes, but not an online degree.

I would also strongly suggest you get A- or better on all science prereqs, and do your best to raise your overall above 3.0 (you really want more, but 3.0 is minimum, and you will be okay if your sGPA is high) as that alone will get you screened out. Nursing as a premed degree is difficult. They don't really line up. However, if you work as a nurse, every dean/admissions office I have talked to says its a plus.

DON'T TAKE SHORTCUTS! I cannot emphasize this enough, they are bad, bad, bad. Determine in your mind that you are going to do it the right way the first time.

I wouldn't take the MCAT till you have completed all the prereq's also. I would honestly say you are probably 2 years away from competitive application. And I would implore you to take that time to make a competitive app if you are serious.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
if you have over 120 credits with a 2.7, you need to go ahead and assume that DO schools (which give you grade replacement for retakes) are your fastest option. Without a massive mcat or an amazing SMP, the odds of a US MD school are almost none. (I'm not being harsh here, my gpa was slightly higher than yours and it was definitely my reality)

this is possible and you can do it, but it will take time an patience...remember it's better to take less classes each semester and get an A than it is to take more and get a B. A "b" isn't good enough for your goals.

I agree with SB. I would remind you that DO>>>>>>>>>>>>Caribbean

Reactions: 1 users
if you have over 120 credits with a 2.7, you need to go ahead and assume that DO schools (which give you grade replacement for retakes) are your fastest option. Without a massive mcat or an amazing SMP, the odds of a US MD school are almost none. (I'm not being harsh here, my gpa was slightly higher than yours and it was definitely my reality)

this is possible and you can do it, but it will take time an patience...remember it's better to take less classes each semester and get an A than it is to take more and get a B. A "b" isn't good enough for your goals.

Which school do you recommend I should apply to?

Which school do you recommend I should apply to?
KCOM, PCOM, MSUCOM are probably considered the 'best' DO. But this is a bit of the wrong question, it matters more which is best for you. I would pick programs closest to you though that interest you the most. For an MCAT you want to shoot for 25+ for DO to have the best shot (Although people do get in with lower).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
you likely have 2 yrs before you apply, I'd pick the 5-6 schools that work for you in terms of location and then add the 5-6 that are showing the lowest stats.when you apply to help your odds.

you likely have 2 yrs before you apply, I'd pick the 5-6 schools that work for you in terms of location and then add the 5-6 that are showing the lowest stats.when you apply to help your odds.

Thank you. This is definitely going to be a long journey. After my boards exam for the NCLEX, I will be prepping for the MCAT, Meanwhile I am currently volunteering at Northwestern Hospital. I have volunteered at Weiss Memorial Hospital and UIC medical center. It would be awesome if I could apply into the program asap but I guess that's not the way it works. Any ideas on how I can quickly prep for the MCAT ?

Members don't see this ad :)
have you worked as a nurse yet? having some experience working in the hospital will probably help you a great deal, especially if you are already a nurse and are actually doing direct patient care, that would be so much better than the random volunteering stuff normal pre-meds have to do.

https://members.aamc.org/eweb/Dynam..._prd_key=87B3239A-D424-4D3E-B23E-2C7B78175716

Take the free mcat assesment test and it will give you an idea of where you stand in terms of biological/physical sections of the test......I don't know how to gauge the new behavioral section

also...you should calculate your science gpa

(from accomas...the osteopathic application service:
AACOMAS will calculate your GPA and credit hours according to the following rules -- GPAs and credit hours will be calculated for Science, Non-Science and All course work. Science GPAs include Biology/Zoology, Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Other Science, and Physics. Non-science GPAs include Behavioral Science, English, Math, and Other Non-science.

Courses with AACOMAS grades of Pass, Non-pass, and Advanced Placement are not included in GPA calculations. Only the last instance of a repeated course is included in GPA calculation.)

you need you sgpa to be >3.0 to really consider applying, so if you are below that you'll want to retake a few grades of C or below..

Hi to those applying to St James, In answer to your question you should ask yourself this question, "what is the difference between a profession and a professional?", I think any M.D. school which prepares you for the USMLE step 1 exam is going to give you the tools to succeed. I personally surveyed hospitals on the west coast and found that medical administration bases their decisions on the USMLE step 1 score, and your willingness, and passion will show through during your rotations regardless of where you went to school. Some of the top surgeons in the U.S. were educated in India, England, South America, The Caribbean, etc.
If you choose to go the D.O. route bare in mind that D.O. schools are not recognized on the world stage as of yet, that is expected to change through an accreditation process in the pipeline, whereas caribbean M.D. degrees are. When i joined St. James as a student i actually had a well rounded GPA in the sciences, with two 632 634 level medical micro course taught by U-W and a B in the medical micro 1 and 2 courses,a human gross anatomy course with cadaver dissection, Neuro anatomy and physiology, general physiology, Genetics, physics etc. I was also a chapter president to Golden Key international Honnour society which had a 3.5 GPA requirement, and traveled to China with the ISLP with Dr. Nicole Jasper who is a Dartmouth educated M.D. now on untold stories of the E.R. Similarly i also had an award for undergraduate research which was followed by a symposium sponsored by IMBRE.
Yet i chose St James. Hmmmmm i wonder why? I believe that coming from a place of humility is what will make you a good physician. Arrogant physicians do not make good doctors...You could go to Yale or UW and still inadvertently cause harm to your patient. There are mainstream U.S. educated physicians with stellar GPA's who are still unable to retain the material regardless of where they went to school. The reason St. James is a good choice is that the cost of attending medical school including my undergraduate coursework will only be 125,000 dollars.If you are looking for an excellent campus try Anguilla. This campus does require a higher GPA and an overall good application with letters of recommendation. The Anguilla campus is harder to gain admission to as it is a British colony. Its interesting to read claims that a "not for profit" school is equivalent to a better physician, yet yet not for profit schools can total well over 300,000 dollars. Ironic ay? I would consider the quality of the physician on a case-by-case basis. To asset that medical education in the U.S. is superior to anywhere else in the world is simply not true.
Also, wen you are done with the caribbean M.D. program you are able to set up a medical practice which is not subject to U.S. taxes, medical administration encroachments, and insurance price caps as apposed to the U.S. based practices. You could also set up a home base in the U.S. Also, in the Caribbean you could have the opportunity to build a clinic from the bottom up. "what a wonderful opportunity".
In all if you want a more well rounded worldly experience don't be afraid to test the waters. I would be leery of following the advice of those that would trade an original experience, and an opportunity to deliver care to those whom might fall outside of the lucrative american system. If medicine is your passion don't be afraid to follow your heart, after all your dedication and tenacity will outshine those hiding behind their prestigious degrees.
Hope that helps!

This is why the MCAT has a verbal reasoning section...

... and why it worries me that some carib med schools don't require the MCAT.

Actually, the question should be "What is the difference between a profession and a an unemployed, deeply in deb professional?",

Hi to those applying to St James, In answer to your question you should ask yourself this question, "what is the difference between a profession and a professional?",

Hi to those applying to St James, In answer to your question you should ask yourself this question, "what is the difference between a profession and a professional?", I think any M.D. school which prepares you for the USMLE step 1 exam is going to give you the tools to succeed. I personally surveyed hospitals on the west coast and found that medical administration bases their decisions on the USMLE step 1 score, and your willingness, and passion will show through during your rotations regardless of where you went to school. Some of the top surgeons in the U.S. were educated in India, England, South America, The Caribbean, etc.
If you choose to go the D.O. route bare in mind that D.O. schools are not recognized on the world stage as of yet, that is expected to change through an accreditation process in the pipeline, whereas caribbean M.D. degrees are. When i joined St. James as a student i actually had a well rounded GPA in the sciences, with two 632 634 level medical micro course taught by U-W and a B in the medical micro 1 and 2 courses,a human gross anatomy course with cadaver dissection, Neuro anatomy and physiology, general physiology, Genetics, physics etc. I was also a chapter president to Golden Key international Honnour society which had a 3.5 GPA requirement, and traveled to China with the ISLP with Dr. Nicole Jasper who is a Dartmouth educated M.D. now on untold stories of the E.R. Similarly i also had an award for undergraduate research which was followed by a symposium sponsored by IMBRE.
Yet i chose St James. Hmmmmm i wonder why? I believe that coming from a place of humility is what will make you a good physician. Arrogant physicians do not make good doctors...You could go to Yale or UW and still inadvertently cause harm to your patient. There are mainstream U.S. educated physicians with stellar GPA's who are still unable to retain the material regardless of where they went to school. The reason St. James is a good choice is that the cost of attending medical school including my undergraduate coursework will only be 125,000 dollars.If you are looking for an excellent campus try Anguilla. This campus does require a higher GPA and an overall good application with letters of recommendation. The Anguilla campus is harder to gain admission to as it is a British colony. Its interesting to read claims that a "not for profit" school is equivalent to a better physician, yet yet not for profit schools can total well over 300,000 dollars. Ironic ay? I would consider the quality of the physician on a case-by-case basis. To asset that medical education in the U.S. is superior to anywhere else in the world is simply not true.
Also, wen you are done with the caribbean M.D. program you are able to set up a medical practice which is not subject to U.S. taxes, medical administration encroachments, and insurance price caps as apposed to the U.S. based practices. You could also set up a home base in the U.S. Also, in the Caribbean you could have the opportunity to build a clinic from the bottom up. "what a wonderful opportunity".
In all if you want a more well rounded worldly experience don't be afraid to test the waters. I would be leery of following the advice of those that would trade an original experience, and an opportunity to deliver care to those whom might fall outside of the lucrative american system. If medicine is your passion don't be afraid to follow your heart, after all your dedication and tenacity will outshine those hiding behind their prestigious degrees.
Hope that helps!
Report back when/if you match. Until then you have no credibility in your assessment of the value of your medical education.

who is a Dartmouth educated M.D. now on untold stories of the E.R

This is how I pick my doctors too!

I personally have not had a check-up because Dr. Gupta is too busy to see me.

Hope that helps!

If you're going to advertise your Caribbean debt hole at least have good grammar. This is not convincing at all.

I don't know. I think it's a pretty convincing argument against going to the Caribbean.
Not an argument just words of encouragement. Not an advisor just a humble human among 7 billion other humans trying to make their way in this world.

Last edited:
So question why are students unnecessarily so competitive? Shouldn't we be more concerned for the patient than our egos?

I'm concerned for the people on this board who might make a horrible choice based on your ignorant statements (your further unbelievable ignorance on a gross estimation of the world population is just icing on the cake). This is an advice board for students applying to medical schools, invoking patients into the discussion is irrelevant.

I'm concerned for the people on this board who might make a horrible choice based on your ignorant statements (your further unbelievable ignorance on a gross estimation of the world population is just icing on the cake). This is an advice board for students applying to medical schools, invoking patients into the discussion is irrelevant.
yes its 7 billion ppl correct projected to grow to 11 billion none the less

Last edited:
Hmm i tried to encourage her ....
Clearly you are "entitled" to your opinion.

yes its 7 billion ppl correct projected to grow to 11 billion none the less
And at one point in the future, I'm sure there will be exactly 13,053,123,555 humans on planet earth as well. Am I a prophet?

And at one point in the future, I'm sure there will be exactly 13,053,123,555 humans on planet earth as well. Am I a prophet?
After speaking with individuals on this site I'm finding this site to be mostly opinion based. Spoke with several professors including professors for the medical school in Alaska. They all agree that pursuing an MD degree via a Caribbean route so long as it is credited is an option. St. James is in the process of accreditation in California, and New York. The USMLE pass rate at St. James is 73% while the residency match 83% of those who pass step 1. The state of California requires the Caribbean schools to be operational without any violations for a period of ten years. St James has been operational now for eleven, and so they must be doing something right. I cross checked with several physicians in Alaska and they all agree it is a good option. I also looked at California's licensing requirements and so long as the school is not on their forbidden list, the school is eligible for California approval. With that said, one must weight the risk and decide if it is a good option for them. St James is a small school, but the core curriculum is there, and they are currently rotating students through clinicals in Chicago, Arizona, and West Virginia. I would do it, but again I'm also someone more positive minded and less cynical. While i am aware my english sucks my intentions are to give some of the other students seeking an alternative path to med-school some hope. Below is a link with accurate data concerning these schools. Best of luck to you.
http://www.studentdoctor.net/2009/07/caribbean-medical-schools-a-good-option/

After speaking with individuals on this site I'm finding this site to be mostly opinion based. Spoke with several professors including professors for the medical school in Alaska. They all agree that pursuing an MD degree via a Caribbean route so long as it is credited is an option. St. James is in the process of accreditation in California, and New York. The USMLE pass rate at St. James is 73% while the residency match 83% of those who pass step 1. The state of California requires the Caribbean schools to be operational without any violations for a period of ten years. St James has been operational now for eleven, and so they must be doing something right. I cross checked with several physicians in Alaska and they all agree it is a good option. I also looked at California's licensing requirements and so long as the school is not on their forbidden list, the school is eligible for California approval. With that said, one must weight the risk and decide if it is a good option for them. St James is a small school, but the core curriculum is there, and they are currently rotating students through clinicals in Chicago, Arizona, and West Virginia. I would do it, but again I'm also someone more positive minded and less cynical. While i am aware my english sucks my intentions are to give some of the other students seeking an alternative path to med-school some hope. Below is a link with accurate data concerning these schools. Best of luck to you.
For anyone considering a medical career in the US, Caribbean medicals schools are a distant last resort.
The odds of being allowed to sit for the USMLE exams is small compared to US MD or DO.
Even a good Step 1 score only reinforces the belief that the candidate is suffering from another more significant deficit:
Institutional Actions, parental pressure, egotism, weak judgement, inability to delay gratification, poor research skills, gullibility, high risk behavior...
The category into which the grads are placed by Programs Directors is absolute last.
Add the fact that loans obtained for these degrees cannot be discharged in bankruptcy and you have what amounts to educational fraud.

After speaking with individuals on this site I'm finding this site to be mostly opinion based.
Opinions are what you gathered at home as well. It's what you get. But what you get on SDN is perspective from broad experience and knowledge of the residency match data.

SDN is like Consumer Reports, and effectively you bought a car without looking at its crash record.
Spoke with several professors including professors for the medical school in Alaska. They all agree that pursuing an MD degree via a Caribbean route so long as it is credited is an option.
These are not opinions?
St. James is in the process of accreditation in California, and New York. The USMLE pass rate at St. James is 73% while the residency match 83% of those who pass step 1.
Disaster. Carib schools don't disclose how many students are failed out after matriculation, nor how many students are not allowed to sit for step 1 until they do another year of school.
The state of California requires the Caribbean schools to be operational without any violations for a period of ten years. St James has been operational now for eleven, and so they must be doing something right.
Operational does not mean the school doesn't have violations. The school won't tell you if it has violations.
I cross checked with several physicians in Alaska and they all agree it is a good option.
More opinions.
I also looked at California's licensing requirements and so long as the school is not on their forbidden list, the school is eligible for California approval.
You went to a med school that isn't accredited in any useful way. You bought a consumer product like people buy "Gucci" bags from street vendors.
With that said, one must weight the risk and decide if it is a good option for them.
You did not weigh the risks. You don't understand the risks. You didn't consult people who would understand the risks. How many of your advisers know the falling match rate for IMGs? Do YOU know the match rate for IMGs?
St James is a small school, but the core curriculum is there, and they are currently rotating students through clinicals in Chicago, Arizona, and West Virginia. I would do it, but again I'm also someone more positive minded and less cynical. While i am aware my english sucks my intentions are to give some of the other students seeking an alternative path to med-school some hope. Below is a link with accurate data concerning these schools. Best of luck to you.
That's a 2009 article, and you apparently skipped the "Questions to Ask" section which would have guided you away from a crappy school.

Get out now. You made a mistake.

After speaking with individuals on this site I'm finding this site to be mostly opinion based. Spoke with several professors including professors for the medical school in Alaska. ...
Alaska doesn't have a medical school....

Alaska does have a med school. About 20 UWash students are in Anchorage for the majority of their training. UWash is the med school serving WA ID WY MT AK. 27% of the US land mass, 3% of the US population.

Pretty much the same thing as U of Illinois and all its campuses.

So there are med school faculty in AK. This is true.