Should I take Step 2? Wanting a peds MD residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LittleMissDrMom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took Step 1, got 240. COMLEX was 596. I'm in the class of 2023 (spent the last 3 years getting a PhD), so pass/fail of Step 1 shouldn't be a problem with comparing me to other applicants.
And when is it advisable to take either COMLEX Level 2 exam? I'm trying to plan rotations around that.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want but not necessary. People match MD academic peds programs with comlex only

Reactions: 1 users
If you are looking at specific programs then look at their site. If they accept comlex only then you should be fine. If they state step 1 is required then I’d probably take step 2 just because it would look better to those programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a 240 and a PhD, taking Step 2 would only serve to make you even more competitive. I’m assuming you want a highly ranked academic program?

You don’t need it to match Peds, or even match an academic program, but you have the resume to aim pretty high I think, and Step 2 would help you with that

Reactions: 2 users
If you are looking at specific programs then look at their site. If they accept comlex only then you should be fine. If they state step 1 is required then I’d probably take step 2 just because it would look better to those programs.
Looks like the ones I'm looking at don't require it. Though I plan to do fellowship, perhaps that's reason to take it?

I don’t think Step 2 will matter at all for fellowships. Honestly though, with your history I see no reason not to plan for it. Study like you want to take it and if you can top your step 1 then do it, if not then no sweat off your back. Plus what if you fall in love with another specialty? Just study for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like the ones I'm looking at don't require it. Though I plan to do fellowship, perhaps that's reason to take it?

They won’t care about step 2 for fellowship. But as others have said above you are high achieving. You might as well shoot for it if you can do well

Reactions: 1 user
They won’t care about step 2 for fellowship. But as others have said above you are high achieving. You might as well shoot for it if you can do well
Thanks, I think I'll plan to take them and see how I'm scoring on practice exams.

Peds is pretty uncompetitive - you can prob go to all programs besides ones that only have taken MD's in the past

Might as well take it honestly. Step 2 is a quality test.

Peds is pretty uncompetitive - you can prob go to all programs besides ones that only have taken MD's in the past

Might as well take it honestly. Step 2 is a quality test.
You are extremely incorrect

Lol what are you talking about, peds is the most uncompetitive specialty, there’s DO’s at the top programs and many people match academic peds without step and with only comlex, what he said is completely and 100% true.. there are a handful, if any, programs that don’t interview DO’s and with Op’s step scores and his pHD/research he is more than competitive for all of them.

Lol what are you talking about, peds is the most uncompetitive specialty, there’s DO’s at the top programs and many people match academic peds without step and with only comlex, what he said is completely and 100% true.. there are a handful, if any, programs that don’t interview DO’s and with Op’s step scores and his pHD/research he is more than competitive for all of them.

I concur. Just because peds is uncompetitive doesn’t mean anything. It’s still the best specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
The top programs in peds are just as competitive as any top programs in any specialty, clueless med student

So, no, he couldn’t go to any program. As he actually isn’t competitive for all of them.

The top programs in peds are just as competitive as any top programs in any specialty, clueless med student

So, no, he couldn’t go to any program. As he actually isn’t competitive for all of them.
LOL ok dude whatever you say... In reality though many of the "top" programs are filled with DO's and IMG's.. look at children's national in DC(a top program) which has many IMG's and DO's..

The top programs in peds are just as competitive as any top programs I any specialty, clueless med student

I don’t think that’s what he said. It is true top programs are just as competitive as any specialty but those tend to fall under the category of not taking DOs which they addressed.

I don’t think that’s what he said. It is true top programs are just as competitive as any specialty but those tend to fall under the category of not taking DOs which they addressed.
Also how does one truly define as a "top" program, theres soo much subjectivity, for the most part though peds isn't a field that has DO bias so as a qualified candidate like OP is he would get a few "top" interviews, he has a 240 step 1(above average) and with his pHD his research prbly blows the average peds candidate out the water, are there some programs that wont interview OP because he's a DO.. .sure but its not like OP wont get any love...

Also how does one truly define as a "top" program, theres soo much subjectivity, for the most part though peds isn't a field that has DO bias so as a qualified candidate like OP is he would get a few "top" interviews, he has a 240 step 1(above average) and with his pHD his research prbly blows the average peds candidate out the water, are there some programs that wont interview OP because he's a DO.. .sure but its not like OP wont get any love...

In Peds there are only a few recognized top programs. And they won’t be able to go there most likely. CHOP, Cincinnati children’s, etc. but they all fall under don’t take DOs.

Speaking to state wise. Look at the averages of top programs. 240 does not blow them out of the water. And for the research power houses the PhD will make them competitive research wise but again doesn’t blow any other applicant out of the water

In Peds there are only a few recognized top programs. And they won’t be able to go there most likely. CHOP, Cincinnati children’s, etc. but they all fall under don’t take DOs.

Speaking to state wise. Look at the averages of top programs. 240 does not blow them out of the water. And for the research power houses the PhD will make them competitive research wise but again doesn’t blow any other applicant out of the water
Really so there’s a bunch of MD PhD’s with like 250’s applying to peds? Why do I find that hard to believe ahah... Like I said with his 240 and pHD, OP is competitive at the vast majority of programs.. sure there will be some at the very very top that will pass on him but I am looking at the residents at these “top” programs and I have yet to see a single MD pHD.. I have seen a few DO’s not at children’s of Cincinnati or Chop but the many others do have DO’s and also a surprising number of FMG’s..

Really so there’s a bunch of MD PhD’s with like 250’s applying to peds? Why do I find that hard to believe ahah... Like I said with his 240 and pHD, OP is competitive at the vast majority of programs.. sure there will be some at the very very top that will pass on him but I am looking at the residents at these “top” programs and I have yet to see a single MD pHD.. I have seen a few DO’s not at children’s of Cincinnati or Chop but the many others do have DO’s and also a surprising number of FMG’s..
Medical genetics research? Pediatric oncology? There's a lot of things why peds is attractive for MSTP guys

Although i fully admit i thought of boston, CHOP and cincy in this discussion of top peds programs. I think it follows similarly to top IM programs

Medical genetics research? Pediatric oncology? There's a lot of things why peds is attractive for MSTP guys

Although i fully admit i thought of boston, CHOP and cincy in this discussion of top peds programs. I think it follows similarly to top IM programs
So when we define “top” we think of top 20-25... not just 2-3 programs?. Like U Chicago’s and BCM’s peds programs I would consiser as “top” has DO’s etc...

So when we define “top” we think of top 20-25... not just 2-3 programs?. Like U Chicago’s and BCM’s peds programs I would consiser as “top” has DO’s etc...

It's boston/CHOP/cincy > other academic peds programs connected to top schools > everything else.

idk if OP can match into the Big 3 but i think it's ok to aim high and see what happens. Just need to make sure the programs accept DOs before applying

Lol lemme guess you're a peeds resident who didn't like how I referred to your field as "uncompetitive"?

Listen that isn't a bad thing. Neurology is relatively uncompetitive as well, and it's probably one of the least discovered systems in medicine - and one of the most interesting.

Love what YOU do. I'm just a med student trying to nudge a fellow SDNer in the right direction with some confidence.

Lawpy put it into a good order. Realistically there is the big 3 and everywhere else. Peds is different than IM like that. Peds tend to be at an academic center the majority of times anyways because there are fewer children’s hospitals in the country compared IM. You can also match the more competitive fellowships from any peds program in the country because they aren’t prestige driven as much as IM.

Last edited:
Lol lemme guess you're a peeds resident who didn't like how I referred to your field as "uncompetitive"?

Listen that isn't a bad thing. Neurology is relatively uncompetitive as well, and it's probably one of the least discovered systems in medicine - and one of the most interesting.

Love what YOU do. I'm just a med student trying to nudge a fellow SDNer in the right direction with some confidence.

A few of my colleagues are like that too and I don’t understand it. I actually like it lol. Peds a hidden gem because the pay sucks.

LOL ok dude whatever you say... In reality though many of the "top" programs are filled with DO's and IMG's.. look at children's national in DC(a top program) which has many IMG's and DO's..
Top 10
1 CHOP 0% DO
2 CH Boston 0% DO
3 CINCI CH 1% DO
4 UW 0% DO
5 Baylor 0% DO
6 Colorado 1% DO
7 JHU 0% DO
8 Standford 0% DO
9 Ohio State 25% DO
10 UPMC 7% DO

Random question, where does Utah fit?

Top 10
1 CHOP 0% DO
2 CH Boston 0% DO
3 CINCI CH 1% DO
4 UW 0% DO
5 Baylor 0% DO
6 Colorado 1% DO
7 JHU 0% DO
8 Standford 0% DO
9 Ohio State 25% DO
10 UPMC 7% DO

Top 10
1 CHOP 0% DO
2 CH Boston 0% DO
3 CINCI CH 1% DO
4 UW 0% DO
5 Baylor 0% DO
6 Colorado 1% DO
7 JHU 0% DO
8 Standford 0% DO
9 Ohio State 25% DO
10 UPMC 7% DO
Baylor(bcm) is definitely not 0% DO LOL

Utah is #27 using Doximity Res Navigtor based on reputation. It has 0% DO in their ped res program.
Those numbers are all wrong.. Utah has a DO pgy2 from western COMP... I suggest you actually verify the information before you post lol

Last edited:
I concur. Just because peds is uncompetitive doesn’t mean anything. It’s still the best specialty.
I asked my preceptor Why Peds. He said because I have the best job in the world. I've never seen an unhappy Pediatrician. Must be nice being this content :)

Those numbers are all wrong.. Utah has a DO pgy2 from western COMP... I suggest you actually verify the information before you post lol
Yes, I do see the one pgy2 from western when I go to their website. That makes one out of 60. I guess RE is not 100% accurate than.

Thanks, I think I'll plan to take them and see how I'm scoring on practice exams.
Thread carefully... There is not much upside of taking step2. Let's say you score 250 in step 2: I don't think it will change your competitiveness that much for pediatrics. You are already extremely competitive for good academic programs as it stands right now.

The top 5-10 programs might not even look at your application even if you got 260+ in step2 because of your degree. It's unfair but it's the truth.

I went to a bottom 10 US MD school and one of my classmates match into a top 10 peds program with 230s and 240s. I don't see any DOs on that program roster last time I checked... and I am sure there are probably DO with better stats/applications than my classmate who have applied to that program.

Last edited:
Thread carefully... There is not much upside of taking step2. Let's say you score 250 in step 2: I don't think it will change your competitiveness that much for pediatrics. You are already extremely competitive for good academic programs as it stands right now.

The top 5-10 programs might not even look at your application even if you got 260+ in step2 because of your degree. It's unfair but it's the truth.

I went to a bottom 10 US MD school and one of my classmates match into a top 10 peds program with 230s and 240s. I don't see any DOs on that program roster last time I checked... and I am sure there are probably DO with better stats/applications than my classmate who have applied to that program.
Some one posted the break down earlier there are DO’s at top 10 programs. The top 2(Boston and CHOP) don’t have DO’s but places like Cincinnati children’s and BCM, Nationwide children’s, Children’s national etc have DO’s

Last edited:
Some one posted the break down earlier there are DO’s at top programs. The top 2(Boston and CHOP) don’t have DO’s but places like Cincinnati children’s and BCM, Nationwide children’s, Children’s national etc have DO’s
Good to know.

I was looking at where my classmate is and there are ZERO residents out of 84..

Top 10
1 CHOP 0% DO
2 CH Boston 0% DO
3 CINCI CH 1% DO
4 UW 0% DO
5 Baylor 0% DO
6 Colorado 1% DO
7 JHU 0% DO
8 Standford 0% DO
9 Ohio State 25% DO
10 UPMC 7% DO
Any IMG on these programs?

Good to know.

I was looking at where my classmate is and there are ZERO residents out of 84..
Also while this is one way to look at it, you have to find out how many DO's they interviewed over the past 3 years, it could be that they interviewed DO's but those DO's happen to not match there for whatever reason... keep in mind that there are 3x as many MD's as DO's overall..