Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a little bit of a situation here and would love to hear insight on the matter.

Despite having a MCAT score of 502 (504 being the highest of the attempts; both from last year) and sending in a late application during the cycle, I received two IIs in TX. I was then wait-listed at one and matched into TCOM. ...

In taking both MCAT exams, I went in without full preparation (lacking full content review and practice test attempts) - I can't make excuses for myself and I know it has put me in the position I am in today; I am ok with dealing with the repercussions, but would still like to know and consider all options before moving forward with my life/career decisions.

What has changed in preparation, this time, is that I am utilizing resources like UWorld and AAMC/TPR Practice Tests to gauge and predict my score. Is there a score - of which I could guarantee - that would insinuate I should take the gamble?I know I can do significantly better on the MCAT (512+) and have been preparing for well over a month for the July 20th exam.

I am blessed to have the opportunity to become a physician and join TCOM's community, but in light of recent research, I have found that it is incredibly difficult to specialize in residencies that I deeply care about (specifically, ortho) when coming from an osteopathic school (please let me know if I'm wrong - I used the NRMP data from 2019 to try to gain more insight).

Ultimately, I am wondering what are thoughts on:
1) Accepting TCOM, work hard, perform well on Step, and try to land an orthopedic residency at a top-tier program
2) Declining TCOM, retake MCAT and try my luck through this app cycle (I submitted my primary on May 31st just in case, to ensure I would be much earlier in the cycle than I was in the past) at MD schools

When does the single match start? Isn't it 2020?

Hands down, accept TCOM. Why are you willing to waste money and time when you could refocus your energies on doing well in school? Networking counts as much if not more than the place where your diploma is printed. If you really want orthopedics, in light of the combined match, take the lessons you learned, do well in clerkships, and impress your faculty and peers.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.