Should I take this research opportunity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firecracked

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking to do some research, and I finally got an opportunity to work in a language/learning psych lab at my school. As a psych major, I think it'd be interesting, and it's a great lab, but I don't know if it'd look better to do something related to biology? I know I'm pretty much guaranteed a place in the psych lab for the summer, and I don't really want to pass that up since it's tough to get research opportunities here. Do dental schools care which subject you do research in?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been looking to do some research, and I finally got an opportunity to work in a language/learning psych lab at my school. As a psych major, I think it'd be interesting, and it's a great lab, but I don't know if it'd look better to do something related to biology? I know I'm pretty much guaranteed a place in the psych lab for the summer, and I don't really want to pass that up since it's tough to get research opportunities here. Do dental schools care which subject you do research in?

I don't know exactly what dental schools look for, but I would imagine learning techniques used in a lab you would find in a dental school would be your best bet. If you can't find anything, psych is better than nothing. I did a masters in neuroimmunology and then worked in biomedical cancer research (full time employment - research assistant) for 3 years. It helped me immensely, I'm sure. Something though always looks better than nothing especially if it is linked at ALL to natural science like biology or biopsych rather than social science like psychology.

I can't speak for AdCom's either, but I personally enjoyed my organic chemistry research. It was part of a larger project to monitor a fluorescent compound in the cell, but my aspect of it was just to make the compound. I love Organic Lab; I would rather do what I did than some other bio research that I might not enjoy.

You won't be doing oral pathology or dental materials research as an undergrad, so I wouldn't worry too much about the content of your research. Just have fun with it and make it a memorable experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i say u take the job. if you find out that u dont like it working there, start looking for a new one while working there.

Take the job - especially if you think you'd like it so much. Scientific research is research, whatever it's in. Plus, it will be a great subject in your interview since you're so passionate about it. Most of my research background was in herpetology (snakes mostley) and while there isn't much there in common with dentistry (except that some people find both snakes and the dentist scary...), it was research. Good luck applying!