Should I tell my HPSP recruiter about USUHS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean Lee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a September II for USUHS, and I am very excited about it since the school is my top choice. However, I am also working with my recruiter on the HPSP application, in case I don't get into USUHS. My recruiter is great, and he has spend a lot of effort putting my files together and guiding me through the process. Do you think I should tell him about my USUHS interview and possible acceptance? Will he get angry if I reject HPSP for USUHS? If I get into USUHS, I'll have to tell him eventually. How should I break the news to him?

Members don't see this ad.

It is a common practice to apply for both USUHS and HPSP esp those who are interested in military medicine. I am sure your recruiter understand your plan. He may persuade to accept HPSP over USUHS saying that HPSP has shorter obligation etc...

Finally even if you get into USUHS and HPSP you can still turn down acceptances to both programs and go to civilian medication school. You should not enter military just because you worry about getting recruiter angry. It is your decision. Also later you should not get angry at recruiter when you develop less excitement in the military..

You are consumer; you are in charge. It is your life. Just tell him your decision.

It is a common practice to apply for both USUHS and HPSP esp those who are interested in military medicine. I am sure your recruiter understand your plan. He may persuade to accept HPSP over USUHS saying that HPSP has shorter obligation etc...

Finally even if you get into USUHS and HPSP you can still turn down acceptances to both programs and go to civilian medication school. You should not enter military just because you worry about getting recruiter angry. It is your decision. Also later you should not get angry at recruiter when you develop less excitement in the military..

You are consumer; you are in charge. It is your life. Just tell him your decision.

Thanks for your response. I know that everything is up to me...but my recruiter is a genuinely nice/good person, and I would hate to disappoint him and basically "waste" all his time.

Members don't see this ad :)
You aren't wasting his time. You may not get into USUHS and you will legitimately still want the HPSP. As an analogy plenty of people apply for both ROTC and the service academies.

I have a September II for USUHS, and I am very excited about it since the school is my top choice. However, I am also working with my recruiter on the HPSP application, in case I don't get into USUHS. My recruiter is great, and he has spend a lot of effort putting my files together and guiding me through the process. Do you think I should tell him about my USUHS interview and possible acceptance? Will he get angry if I reject HPSP for USUHS? If I get into USUHS, I'll have to tell him eventually. How should I break the news to him?

Thanks for your response. I know that everything is up to me...but my recruiter is a genuinely nice/good person, and I would hate to disappoint him and basically "waste" all his time.

1) You have no idea if your recruiter is a 'genuinely nice/good person', unless you knew him personally before he was a recruiter. He is locked into a career and in the military and is being evaluated for promotion based on his ability as a salesman, which means he is very strongly incentivized to look likeable, responsible, and even kind of heroic to you. He's a used car salesman. That's not his fault, and he might be legit, but don't be fooled by appearances.

2) If you decide on USUHS you don't need to tell him anything, however if you want to practice your officer-like courtesy you can call him and say 'I decided to go to USUHS', which is above and beyond what you owe him.

3) On a more general note, I don't think that USUHS should be your (or anyone's) top choice. A 7 year obligation (after residency) with an organization you've never worked with should never be your top choice when you have the option of a 4 year obligation. I don't care how much you like the school, or how many family members you've had served, or how much you like the ideals and image of the military, you should never trap yourself for longer than you have to. If you want to stay for 7 years then you should sign another 3 year contract at the end of your first 4. Its not that its not a good school, I think it produces above average students. Its not that I think the military is a bad job, at least right now I'm not too disgruntled. Its just that its not worth trapping yourself for an extra three years in an organization you can't objectively evaluate.

Reactions: 3 users
Agree with birdfish. No one is going to be exceptionally impressed that you went to USUHS in the long run. Some people say that USUHS grads have an advantage in the military match, and to that I say: "meh."
I'm not bashing to school. A lot of my co-residents went there and were great, knowledgable residents and eventually staff. But I wouldn't trade in a chunk of my life to go there, specifically. If your choices are USUHS or Julio's Seaside Carribbean Medical Technical Institute, then obviously go to USUHS. Otherwise, don't walk into the light, because its a train.

I also agree that you don't owe your recruiter anything. Sometimes they make it seem like they're bending over backwards for you. To this I say the following:
1. Their job is to do whatever they can to get you to sign. So if it seems like they're doing a lot, it is because they're supposed to do so not because they want you to be the best man at their wedding.
2. No matter how much work it seems like they're doing, it is less than you think because they work for the government.
3. They're going to fill out 300 forms about you regardless of whether you choose the HPSP option or not because they work for the government, and paperwork is the body of Christ.
4. Their bosses (the ones who matter) don't care if you pick HPSP or USUHS. They just want to sup on your lifeblood and watch your sould whither and die.
5. They're big boys. They can handle rejection. I don't think they'll drink any more or any fewer brewskis that night at Shenanigans because you did or didn't pick them.

If you choose to let them know what is going on, and why, that is to make you feel better - not them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users