Should I tell the school I'm writing an update for that they're the only school I'm under consideration with?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miky617

Reaction score
I'm beginning to draft an update letter/LOI for a school I interviewed with a while back, and I just got notification in the form of a rejection from the other school I was still in consideration for. Unless I get a last-minute II from somewhere else, that leaves me with only one school I'm waiting to hear back from post-interview.

Is this something I should convey in my letter? The implication being that if they extend me an invitation, then I WILL attend. That's certainly not the only reason I would go to this school, I actually really enjoyed my interview with them and the campus/location/program all resonates very well with me, and I hope to convey that in the letter as well. I just wonder if the detail about my lack of options is something that would work for or against me in the letter (since they could also interpret it as "this applicant must have something off about him if no other school wants him").

Am I overthinking it?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I would just write a normal letter of intent and start all you other reasons for wanting to go to the school (campus/location/program etc). It being a letter of intent implies that you will go there if accepted so you don't need to explicitly say "this is my only option"

• Care
I'm beginning to draft an update letter/LOI for a school I interviewed with a while back, and I just got notification in the form of a rejection from the other school I was still in consideration for. Unless I get a last-minute II from somewhere else, that leaves me with only one school I'm waiting to hear back from post-interview.

Is this something I should convey in my letter? The implication being that if they extend me an invitation, then I WILL attend. That's certainly not the only reason I would go to this school, I actually really enjoyed my interview with them and the campus/location/program all resonates very well with me, and I hope to convey that in the letter as well. I just wonder if the detail about my lack of options is something that would work for or against me in the letter (since they could also interpret it as "this applicant must have something off about him if no other school wants him").

Am I overthinking it?
Don't waste their time unless you have a significant update, and keep in mind that Admissions Deans treat LOIs as lies. How would you interpret a nonbinding contract from a desperate candidate?

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
If you decide to write a letter of intent, I would not say they are the only school you are under consideration at. Keep it short, especially if you have no substantive updates.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Don't waste their time unless you have a significant update, and keep in mind that Admissions Deans treat LOIs as lies. How would you interpret a nonbinding contract from a desperate candidate?
I totally get your point. But should I even mention my intent when I send updates? Or does that still look like a potential desperate lie?

• Dislike