Should I wait/taking relationship international?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KitCat

DVM Candidate, Class of 2020
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For sake of not posting two new threads I'll combine these in one:
1. While reading through the accepted stats list for C/O 2017 I saw one person who had very similar stats to what I do, but got rejected from almost every school that I plan to apply to. I'm a second time applicant and didn't plan on applying to international schools, but now I worry that I might be wasting my time applying to just US schools this year. Should I still apply to just US schools this year so that if I don't get in at least I can take advantage of file reviews?

BTW I received a BS in Biology last month, cumulative GPA 3.145 (not averaging two courses I retook).

What brought me down was mainly C's in both semesters physics and precalculus.

2. For those of you that are attending international schools (Canada, Caribbean, Europe etc.), how did you handle being in a relationship? Could that person come with you? Can they work in other countries?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know from experience, but I'm pretty sure people take their SOs to St George, I think the biggest problem is there isn't much opportunity for them to work there.....

1. While reading through the accepted stats list for C/O 2017 I saw one person who had very similar stats to what I do, but got rejected from almost every school that I plan to apply to. I'm a second time applicant and didn't plan on applying to international schools, but now I worry that I might be wasting my time applying to just US schools this year. Should I still apply to just US schools this year so that if I don't get in at least I can take advantage of file reviews?

BTW I received a BS in Biology last month, cumulative GPA 3.145 (not averaging two courses I retook).

Vet school admissions seem so random that I don't think you can base your chances solely off of one other applicant's information/experience. I don't know how the rest of your application looks (experience, GREs, etc) but your GPA will be a limiting factor for you. How limiting depends on the rest of your application and where the weak spots were (how were your other pre-req grades?) It may be that that person didn't apply smartly and you can alter your list a bit.

2. For those of you that are attending international schools (Canada, Caribbean, Europe etc.), how did you handle being in a relationship? Could that person come with you? Can they work in other countries?

I'm at AVC in PEI, Canada and it's pretty much impossible to bring your SO with you, even if you're married. Something along the lines of: they don't want to issue a visa unless they have employment lined up, but you can't really get employed without a visa. A friend who was researching bringing her SO with her found that he could pretty much just work at the fish processing plant. Not to mention that islanders basically only want to hire islanders and that the job market is tight enough up here as it is. (I imagine the issue of finding work is similar at the Caribbean schools.) However, a think a lot more people are able to bring their SOs to the schools overseas.

My SO and I had decided to do long distance anyway (so I didn't look into the process of bringing him in the first place) and while it isn't very fun, it's definitely do-able with the right relationship. We got married a few weeks ago and will continue to be LD. While I would love to have him with me, I truly believe it's for the best that he didn't come with me. It's hard enough for you trying to make friends and get into a routine when you have the support network of school (and the pressure of being in class with people driving friendships) - your SO may have a much harder time adjusting. Something to talk about with your SO.

I did first year in Dublin and one of the major reasons I am not still there (other than the cost) was the fact that the Irish government wouldn't let my SO accept the job he was offered and declined his work visa application numerous times... and he was one of the lucky few to even find a job