PhD/PsyD Should I Wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lacrossegal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been seriously considering applying to a PsyD program for 3 years. I did a campus/program visit this time in 2013 but had been offered a new job right around the same time. I am a special education teacher with a BA in psychology and elementary education, MS in special education and am working on my 6th year degree (CAGS) in school administration. However, my heart is not in it and I know what I truly want to do. My college mentor was trying to point me towards psych as opposed to teaching since I was a freshman!
The application deadline is January 1st. I have not taken the GREs (ever!) and would need to spend time preparing. I could get my letters and write my statement by that time for sure but I'm not sure if I should wait another year? Should I spend more time preparing for the GREs? My other hesitation is wondering if I will even get in based on my background. A friend of mine with a PhD in clinical psych told me she thought I had a good chance because I do have experience and not in a completely unrelated field.
What are your thoughts? I appreciate any thoughts or opinions since I'm sort of out of my element!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know which programs you are considering so this is a generic bit of advice given your aspirations. I would encourage you to consider what type of debt load/loss of income is associated with the PsyD programs that you are considering, match and outcome statistics, and if you competitive for a funded PhD program. There are numerous threads on PsyD programs here that are worth reading for a view of the job prospects, program characteristics, debt incurred, etc. I am not answering your question at all, but want to make sure you have fully considered the reasons and outcomes associated with the decision so that you can make informed choices.

Thank you, I appreciate that information.
The particular program I am considering has a concentration in athletic counseling, which is exactly what I want. I won't be pigeon-holed into athletic counseling but will have the background.
I'm not sure I'm competitive enough to get into a PhD program. My background and experience is in education. I just can't imagine I would ever get in. I don't anticipate I will do THAT well on the GREs...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I appreciate that information.
The particular program I am considering has a concentration in athletic counseling, which is exactly what I want. I won't be pigeon-holed into athletic counseling but will have the background.
I'm not sure I'm competitive enough to get into a PhD program. My background and experience is in education. I just can't imagine I would ever get in. I don't anticipate I will do THAT well on the GREs...

Well, you can always put off applying for a year or two and get some research experience that could make you competitive for a funded PhD program.

As to the GRE specifically, how much you need to study depends on how strong your verbal and quantitative reasoning skills already are. If you're skills are good and you remember your high school level math, then you just need a tiny bit of time to get used to the format of the test, e.g. the quant section answer formatting.

Well, you can always put off applying for a year or two and get some research experience that could make you competitive for a funded PhD program.

As to the GRE specifically, how much you need to study depends on how strong your verbal and quantitative reasoning skills already are. If you're skills are good and you remember your high school level math, then you just need a tiny bit of time to get used to the format of the test, e.g. the quant section answer formatting.

I'm so out of my element in this regard because I don't even know what I could do to get research experience. My interests are in athletes/eating disorders/body image/perfectionism/and how animal assisted therapy positively impacts treatment outcomes.
I honestly have no idea how I would do on the GREs. I have had to take several Praxis tests for education (Praxis I, 2 different versions of Praxis II in elementary and special education, and two different versions because I'm certified in two states) but never the GREs. I'm way out of practice!! I just don't know if I'm leaving myself enough time to review if I take it in mid-December. I can't devote hours to studying since I work full-time, teach classes at a local gym, volunteer once a week with my dog providing pet therapy, take agility classes with my dog twice a week, am already taking graduate courses for my 6th year degree, and am training for a marathon...haha I would have to squeeze it in and I want to be realistic. I've read about people spending hours studying and I just don't have that kind of time. Part of me thinks I should wait until after I get my 6th year but then the other part of me thinks I should just do it now and apply and see what happens. I'm so torn.
Sorry this turned into a tangent/diary entry! haha

Find a practice GRE to take - it's been a while since I took it and I can't remember where to find the practice tests but I imagine they are pretty cheap with some used study materials. That would be my first step (well, actually my second step. First would be to consider the financial implications per justanothergrad's advice above-- see some of the other psyd and "help me decide" threads on here). Then (if you decide you still want to go for it) after taking the practice GRE you can determine if you want to do a quick review and go ahead and take it, or if you need to improve your score (look at the average of the program for which you are applying) and take another year so you can study and get your scores up. If you do reasonably well you could go ahead and apply (sounds like you are only considering one program?) -- if you're only applying to one program you might be able to manage the timeline and if you don't get in you could apply next year (lots of people do). My understanding is the GRE is significantly harder than the PRAXIS- at least to get to the scores required for funded PsyD/PhD programs. But I do agree with your friend that years of working in education can be an asset- especially in special education -- although you might have to help interviewers/application and essay readers make the connection between your interests in special ed and athletics/eating disorders. If you were applying to a program to focus on school psych or developmental disabilities, it would seem a really obvious connection.