Should I withdraw from this class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skittsie13

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second-semester senior who will be taking a gap year while applying (so I apply this June). I had a very hectic first 3 years in undergrad, and took enough credits to graduate in 3 years, but I stayed the extra year since I have a scholarship covering eight semesters. Last semester I studied abroad (so all the courses were pass/fail and didn't count towards my GPA). This semester I have a fairly light load, with 4.5 units (full-time at my university is 3.5). However, I'm really not enjoying one of my classes, a language class, this semester and I'm starting to fall behind in it. I want to devote the time I would have to spend on this class to finishing my research project. Would it look bad for me to withdraw from this class? I have a really good GPA (~3.9) but I'm a little nervous to withdraw since my transcript has some blemishes -- the worse is probably an incomplete from freshman year (eventually resolved to a B) that had to do with some issues I had adjusting to college. The other two are more easily explained (an incomplete from a summer course I took due to computer difficulties and a withdrawal from graded research in favor of pass/fail research). Keeping this in mind, is it safe for me to withdraw from this course without it looking bad to medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

If u don't think you can get at least a B, then I probably would. It's not like it's a pre-req or UL science course.

If you're at risk of getting a C or below then yes.

Most secondaries will ask you to explain any incompletes, withdraws, etc. So if you do, start thinking about how you eloquently explain the reason.