Should I withdraw my acceptance to pharm school my and try to go to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonisthejason

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, I have been contemplative about my future. I've been thinking to myself and asking whether pharmacy is something that I really want to pursue. I was like many students who wanted to go to med school at first but did not perform well enough to be a competitive applicant so I decided pharmacy would be good. So I applied to one school and got accepted 3 days after my interview and paid my matriculation fees. Lately, I've been having a change of heart about my decision. I've been feeling doubtful about whether pharmacy would be fulfilling. Becoming a pharmacist has always been the goal for me since grade school but since college I decided it was doctor but I've become complacent after being discouraged by my grades. I didn't even attempt the MCAT. Basically, I didn't even try my best to pursue med school and decided that pharmacy would be good enough for me.

A little more personal background about med vs pharmacy. My very manipulative mom has always wanted me to become a pharmacist because both of my brothers (in their 60s) are successful pharmacists and wants me to be like them. We even had a HUGE argument about whether I should pursue medicine or pharmacy while I was in college. Ridiculous right?

I am well aware that pharmacy is at a bad place right now. I know that I am confident of working hard and making things work so that I can be successful in that field. However, I do not want to be in the position where down the line where I regret not trying my hardest to get into med school. I know that getting into med school is hard and that I have a chance now to redirect my life choice before I fully commit to pharmacy. I just submitted my deposit for my housing for pharm school too but school starts in Aug. Do you guys have some advice or thoughts for me? I know that the last missing piece is my MCAT. Whats the minimal score would make me competitive? Here are my stats.

2017 biochem grad
cGPA 3.4
sGPA 3.4
2 C's in my last quarter (Advanced Molecular Bio and PChem II), mom suffered stroke
No upward or big downward trend
Some club/organization 2 years
50 hours community service
200 hours shadowing/volunteering at hospitals
1 year at undergrad lab, published 1 paper
2 years (current) working as research assistant (UCSF if it matters) 2 papers, 3 more coming (all high impact factor journals)
Have 2 awesome LOR from very popular/respectable PI and MD and 1 from undergrad PI

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.