Medical Should I work in a naturopathic clinic for my gap years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a current senior in college planning on taking 2 gap years before medical school. I have a strong interest in holistic and preventative health and have been engaging with the topics in various ways over the past few years, including starting a student group at my school focused on these issues and inviting guest speakers working in these areas to come talk to students. In my exploration of holistic health, I've run into some material on naturopathic medicine, particularly Eastern medicine, and I find it very interesting. I do want to be clear that my intention is to apply to MD/DO programs, not ND programs, and I do not think that naturopathic medicine should stand alone as the only treatment option for patients. However, I do find it interesting to explore the ways that it can supplement traditional Western medicine. I also don't necessarily believe in the effectiveness of all aspects of naturopathic medicine - but some, like acupuncture, I think hold merit.

Now, to my question: I have the opportunity to work as a patient care coordinator in a naturopathic clinic for my two gap years. I think that it could be a very interesting opportunity to learn about medicine from a new perspective, and especially to learn about conceptions and traditions of medicine in other cultures, particularly Eastern cultures. However, I am nervous about doing this because every time that I have brought up naturopathic medicine to a medical student or MD/DO physician, they have laughed and told me that I would absolutely be shooting myself in the foot by associating myself with naturopathic medicine prior to applying to med school. My other options would be to either work in clinical research, or to continue my current job as an EMT. I would greatly appreciate advice on these three options, particularly in regards to working in the naturopathic clinic.

Thank you so much!

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

I am very curious about what ADCOMs have to say about this. First, is the only reason you are doing a gap year to gain more EC experience? We always say work on activities that you enjoy and can talk about, so in that regard, it sounds like you would be able to speak a lot about this. On the other hand, there ARE old-school docs that may see this as a negative. I am not sure as to what impact that would have on your application (hopefully not much), but there is always that chance. I would see what others have to say on here for sure.

This is a terrible idea.

Clinical research or EMT all the way. There is absolutely no need to do something ridiculous like naturopathic medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well there ya go hahaha.
Like... I'm not totally opposed to alternative approaches, including acupuncture. I just think there is little to no benefit to actively choosing an experience in one of those field when you can do something "normal" and not need to answer those sorts of questions.

Like... I'm not totally opposed to alternative approaches, including acupuncture. I just think there is little to no benefit to actively choosing an experience in one of those field when you can do something "normal" and not need to answer those sorts of questions.
That’s kinda what I was thinking. If there is a chance it could be looked at as a negative from anyone, I would just avoid.

n: I have the opportunity to work as a patient care coordinator in a naturopathic clinic for my two gap years. I think that it could be a very interesting opportunity to learn about medicine from a new perspective, and especially to learn about conceptions and traditions of medicine in other cultures, particularly Eastern cultures. However, I am nervous about doing this because every time that I have brought up naturopathic medicine to a medical student or MD/DO physician, they have laughed and told me that I would absolutely be shooting myself in the foot by associating myself with naturopathic medicine prior to applying to med school. My other options would be to either work in clinical research, or to continue my current job as an EMT. I would greatly appreciate advice on these three options, particularly in regards to working in the naturopathic clinic.

Well, do you want to be a traditional doctor or alternative doctor?

Yeah, as much as I can be open-minded, that activity would raise all types of red flags and fireworks for those who will question your real dedication to a career in medicine. Let's only have one Dr. Oz.

Reactions: 1 user
Adcom member here.

Naturopathic medicine is quackery and pseudoscience, period. End of discussion. Our Adcom would have a difficult time treating someone as a serious candidate with this type of background.

Reactions: 2 users
Clinical research.

You'll have enough time to read up on what works and what doesn't. Clinical coordinating for that type of office - you will shoot yourself in the foot.

Sounds like you already have been doing the EMT thing. Scope is limited, and you have that experience. If you don't have research, now seems the time. Plus if you get published, that is beneficial later for residency apps.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.