Should we be concerned about ADCOMs and the use of AI Detectors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AvsPearTree

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stemming off other posts I've seen here, it made me curious about my own essays, so I put some of my essays from the 2022-2023 cycle (before chatgpt was a thing) into various AI detectors, and almost all of them say some portion of my essays are written by AI. Three sites I tried even said one essay I wrote about why I didn't have a pre-health committee packet, which has very specific details, was 100% AI-generated.

I know there are no fully accurate AI detectors right now, but should we possibly be concerned about some ADCOMs implementing these AI detectors anyways? Or some ADCOM member that may just be looking for a reason to screen an applicant decides to check and see some response is claimed to be AI-generated and then just automatically screens that application?

I feel that this may be a particular concern for those of us with not-so-stellar applications who need to do everything practically perfectly for even a chance at an II at this point. A person with a 528 and a 4.0, maybe they let some mistakes fly or overlook some of the "Your Text contains mixed signals, with some parts generated by AI/GPT." For a person who had to do some serious reinvention (like me), I'm sure one mistake could sink them.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
We already know that tons of people buy their essays from professional writers. I wouldn't sweat it.
Out of curiosity, what do you do if you suspect an applicant's essay was written a 3rd party author rather than the applicant?

If you put the US Constitution through those detector algorithms it comes out as fully or partially written by AI.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Out of curiosity, what do you do if you suspect an applicant's essay was written a 3rd party author rather than the applicant?
You don't do anything.... but maybe decide not to interview them... usually it would be a case of a really good personal statement and a secondary that was very, very rough by comparison. So the applicant gets marked down for the quality of the secondary and might not make the cut for an interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, that is not my concern as a screener. Sometimes we focus on just one or two essays. Other processes, we look at the entire set of essays holistically looking for information that makes us want to interview the applicant. After reading a few thousand essays, you see the favorite strategies that applicants use to stand out (and often fail).

I have always told people that application essay writing reflects the degree others have helped the applicant. There is enough open information and advice about writing essays that I think it is silly to buy an essay from someone else (this isn't a homework assignment).

Usually an essay that doesn't adequately answer the question gets crossed off my list to recommend (yes, it can take one or two of the entire set of essays you submit). Remember the standard for me is to keep 1 out of 10 applications for interview, and many who pay others to write their essays for them don't usually get my vote.

I can create AI-generated essays too. They establish a baseline against which I can compare to an applicant's writing. If you rely solely on AI, you likely won't stand out against other AI- generated essays. But the arms race is only beginning.

Everyone strives to win the gold meal at essay writing. Again, that's not how we look at your essays.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users