sialendoscopy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

earboy

pluggin away
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any of you doing it in your region? If so, how do you code for it? I've been hearing to use 42699 (unlisted procedure). If so, how well does that get reimbursed?

I'd like to find out so I can take some numbers to the hospital in hopes of them buying some equipment. No one here does it and I do.

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

That's great info. My old attending who did about 120 procedures last year will charge 10 RVU's for a diagnostic scope or 15 RVU's for an interventional one. I've petitioned the hospital to buy the set so we will see what happens.

If I want to rent it, would the hospital have to do it for a case? I like that strategy too - make em realize it's better to outright buy the stuff. A set would be ~ $30K.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck. Things are tight at a lot of places. Most of the time we play second fiddle to the more operatively heavy fields like ortho. Getting 30,000 bucks worth of equipment is hard to pull off. How many do you think you would do?

Don't really know but hopefully at least 20 or 30 in my first year. Gotta hit up the internists and pediatricians for the stones/sialadenitis patients, the rheum guys for their salivary folks, and the rad oncs for the radiation sialadenitis patients. Hopefully, ENTs that don't do it would refer their patients too. Why not? I'm trained in it and it's an unmet need in this region.

I'm not saying don't go for it. Just curious what you anticipate your numbers being. The hospital will probably want to know too. Depending on the size community you are in, those patients may not come around as often as you may think. It's great you are thinking, we've always got to stay a step ahead of the man :)

Good point. Probably around 1.5 million people in the metro and surrounding area here. Incidence of symptomatic stones (which is the main cause of salivary problems, but not all) is ~ 0.5% which is 7500 people. I'd hope that's going to be enough people with issues that would want some help.

Great size area. Good luck with it. Let us know how it goes with the hospital folks.