Sigh....Depressing day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stevephhs016

Zug Zug
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So today was our annual interview day for the upcoming 2009 graduates with the retail chains etc. I interviewed at 4 major chains and all of them had the same phrase being repeated, "we are all fully staffed/saturated at this area (Northeast area)etc."

It's actually kinda depressing because I was talking to my classmates and mentioning how couple years ago, retail chain was, our "backup..etc" and how great the signing bonuses are, what hourly rate we would negotiate.

Times have changed. I'm just hoping, not even hoping for bonuses or great hourly rates, I'm just hoping for a location close to my home...

Yeah, I know, I should suck it up and move to the midwest, etc. It just...sucks graduating at this time. If only I didn't have to waste 2 years of pre-pharmacy school :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't worry, I'm sure you will find a job somewhere (you may have to look at NJ or Delaware but hey your still in the Delaware Valley). I wish you luck in your search. (P.S. LOL at WVU Avatar- I miss Chappelle Show)

Members don't see this ad :)
What is so depressing about not finding a job in New Jersey? Hell I'd be looking for any excuse to get out of there. Look at this as a golden opportunity!

Damn, that's scary. Why are they coming for interview day if they're fully staffed anyway, to bring people to the Midwest?
And isn't USP supposed to be about a great alumni base that'll be able to hire you?

I'm scared...

I bet most other professions are feeling overstaffed nowadays, not just pharmacy, since large corporations are trying to cut down staff more and more.

By the way, what were some interesting, maybe non-traditional, companies that came to interview day? Or is it just retail chains and you have to search yourself for something else?

Move to Delaware? We still need pharmacists.

Our interview day is in February. I hope they don't tell me California is saturated! Oh well, maybe I'll stay here in Phoenix....

Damn, that's scary. Why are they coming for interview day if they're fully staffed anyway, to bring people to the Midwest?
And isn't USP supposed to be about a great alumni base that'll be able to hire you?

I'm scared...

I bet most other professions are feeling overstaffed nowadays, not just pharmacy, since large corporations are trying to cut down staff more and more.

By the way, what were some interesting, maybe non-traditional, companies that came to interview day? Or is it just retail chains and you have to search yourself for something else?

Move to Delaware? We still need pharmacists.

Yeah, its scary. Actually, some interviewers are alumnis from the school, but it still doesn't matter. The phrase keeps getting repeated over and over, "fully staffed/saturated."

Well, delaware was also fully staffed for one major retail chain ><

There WERE some independents, small hospitals, mail delivery companies that came.

What is so depressing about not finding a job in New Jersey? Hell I'd be looking for any excuse to get out of there. Look at this as a golden opportunity!

Yeah, but I love the Jersey area. Especially North Jersey life style etc. And family is close by.

that was the same message I received when I talked to people in our career fair...

Our interview day is in February. I hope they don't tell me California is saturated! Oh well, maybe I'll stay here in Phoenix....
It depends where in California. They still have a significant need in places like Palm Springs, but there is no need in places like Orange County. You can go to the Walgreens website and see what areas in California they are pushing.

You can always temp for a while if you can't find anything in your area.

So today was our annual interview day for the upcoming 2009 graduates with the retail chains etc. I interviewed at 4 major chains and all of them had the same phrase being repeated, "we are all fully staffed/saturated at this area (Northeast area)etc."

It's actually kinda depressing because I was talking to my classmates and mentioning how couple years ago, retail chain was, our "backup..etc" and how great the signing bonuses are, what hourly rate we would negotiate.

Times have changed. I'm just hoping, not even hoping for bonuses or great hourly rates, I'm just hoping for a location close to my home...

Yeah, I know, I should suck it up and move to the midwest, etc. It just...sucks graduating at this time. If only I didn't have to waste 2 years of pre-pharmacy school :(

Sucks. I heard they are opening a few more pharmacy mills in PA bringing up the school's total to 8 or 9? We have like 7 in NYS now and 3 in NYC. Its fustrating explaining to potential students why it is important not to go into pharmacy mills. All I can say is they got to learn the hard way for themselves.

I can see the difference from last year. When I interviewed last year, there were plenty of opportunities. Now it seems to be much less although they are still there if you have the right experience. I recently resigned from my position at Target so maybe there's an extra spot now for 2009 graduate. :D

I can see the difference from last year. When I interviewed last year, there were plenty of opportunities. Now it seems to be much less although they are still there if you have the right experience. I recently resigned from my position at Target so maybe there's an extra spot now for 2009 graduate. :D

Where ya going?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd love for all the mindless "there will be a bajillion pharmacy jobs for MEEEEE" idiots to read this thread.

It depends where in California. They still have a significant need in places like Palm Springs, but there is no need in places like Orange County. You can go to the Walgreens website and see what areas in California they are pushing.

You can always temp for a while if you can't find anything in your area.

Hey you're almost done! Are you planning on staying in Chicago?

i don't understand why new jersey is the subject of all of these jokes. Everything is within 2 hours or less (atlantic city for gambling, beaches in the summer, and NYC)

its not fair to judge the state just by going through certain parts of the turnpike;
yeah, the whole newark/surrounding areas look like a wreck, but there are plenty of nice places as well

it really pisses me off that a lot of people i know who have been living in NJ for years have been trashing their own state... im not saying its the best place in the world to be, but some of the trashing just bothers me

nothing personal btw

oh yeah, going back to the main point, times are tough but its not going to last forever. It's estimated that the amount of prescriptions written out will double in 10 years so this "saturation" will not likely last for long

Last edited:
i'd love for all the mindless "there will be a bajillion pharmacy jobs for MEEEEE" idiots to read this thread.

at the end of my 2nd year of residency I have job opportunites all over the country....i feel like lebron james hittin the free agency market

Hey you're almost done! Are you planning on staying in Chicago?
Milwaukee for me. I was having trouble finding jobs in the north suburbs. The only open jobs tend to be in the far south side or Elgin/Rockford districts. It is quicker for me to go to Milwaukee than to the south suburbs. There is a huge shortage in Milwaukee. Walgreens alone has 25 store openings.

at the end of my 2nd year of residency I have job opportunites all over the country....i feel like lebron james hittin the free agency market

haha nice... but yeah it irks me when people say that retail is pretty much going to be the same crazy gravy train that it has been for the past 10 years. No it isn't! Pay attention!

I guess meister is right, they can work in barrow, alaska or anywhere else that gets -40 degree winter blasts from canada.

no, wait, what irks me more are those fools going, "i can make $200k in overtime not floating to ghetto stores while working in orange county, california just counting pills and verifying scripts and not talking to anybody after i graduate in 3-4 years! and i'll be a baller like a rap star!!" haha, can't wait for the nasty reality check they're in for!

The point being is a shortage is considered when prime spots are still open. That is simply not true. Just because there are spots in places where nobody wants to work at does not mean that we have a shortage.

You know what else annoys me? People quoting articles from 3-6 years back when there was actually a shortage. I always have to explain to them carefully why they cant use those articles anymore.

i don't understand why new jersey is the subject of all of these jokes. Everything is within 2 hours or less (atlantic city for gambling, beaches in the summer, and NYC)

I wouldn't be surprized if a lot of people making NJ jokes have never really been to New Jersey. :D I bet they would be in for quite a surprize if dropped off somewhere in the western Hunterdon county, for example... or even here in central Jersey there are plenty of really nice places. My only complaints about NJ are that there are no real mountains and that locals don't freaking know how to drive. :rolleyes: And that it's not Europe, of course, but then it's a common downfall on this side of Atlantic. :D

oh yeah, going back to the main point, times are tough but its not going to last forever. It's estimated that the amount of prescriptions written out will double in 10 years so this "saturation" will not likely last for long

Hopefully so, especially with the cost of tuition this past six years ugh...

Jumping to another point, would recruiters be something to think about at this time period?

I have been looking for a job in southern California for 3 months and everybody tells me that they are fully staffed. I am very desperate at this time. Any suggestion?

I have been looking for a job in southern California for 3 months and everybody tells me that they are fully staffed. I am very desperate at this time. Any suggestion?

mmmm... get a job elsewhere?