Sigma Xi on med school apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supergirl7561

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there-
My PI just nominated me for the Sigma Xi research society and I was very flattered that she would do so and plan on joining. However, I will be applying to MD schools this coming year, should I include my membership in Sigma Xi? Should it be its own EC or maybe just a short blurb in the discussion of my research? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there-
My PI just nominated me for the Sigma Xi research society and I was very flattered that she would do so and plan on joining. However, I will be applying to MD schools this coming year, should I include my membership in Sigma Xi? Should it be its own EC or maybe just a short blurb in the discussion of my research? Thanks! :)

A good LOR from your PI will be worth much more than any Sigma Xi designation. I think lots of premeds who have done any research are in Sigma Xi. Also, unless you're an active/contributing member to the honor society, I don't think it's worth its own EC category. I basically just get their emails and the Scientific American Magazine :laugh:

In case you haven't seen yet, it's commonplace to put all of one's honors, scholarships, awards, etc. into one EC slot. And as spf said, unless it's really added something to your application, don't waste a spot on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.