Navy Signing Bonus Payback Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iMirai23

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does doing 2 years of GMO and then going back for PGY2 and 3 IM residency and then finishing serving 2 years fulfill the 4 year commitment for the sign on bonus. Or does the 4 years need to be served after residency is completed.

Feels like a dumb question but I guess I ask as I was not originally aware that residency accumulates as a 1 for 1. I erroneously thought that doing a 2 year or 1 year GMO (if that’s even a thing) would then only leave 1 or 2 years of payback, respectively, post residency. So I just want to clarify if the GMO at least subtracts from the sign on bonus commitment.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Does doing 2 years of GMO and then going back for PGY2 and 3 IM residency and then finishing serving 2 years fulfill the 4 year commitment for the sign on bonus. Or does the 4 years need to be served after residency is completed.

Feels like a dumb question but I guess I ask as I was not originally aware that residency accumulates as a 1 for 1. I erroneously thought that doing a 2 year or 1 year GMO (if that’s even a thing) would then only leave 1 or 2 years of payback, respectively, post residency. So I just want to clarify if the GMO at least subtracts from the sign on bonus commitment.
Navy, AF, or Army? How many years is your HPSP scholarship 3 or 4? If 3, did you take the $20K bonus?=4year ADSO.
The ADSO for HPSP is generally 4 years. Don't be so sure they won't make you repeat IM PGY1 when you return to residency.

Depending on service, IM is 'straight through' and you will complete PGY1-3 before starting your ADSO.

Reactions: 1 user
I am going for Navy! Still have to go before the board for a 3 year scholarship, so nothing is guaranteed. With that, I’ve been debating if I should take the bonus or not especially since it seems navy is toss up on going straight through IM?

If I didn’t take the bonus and I was able to go straight through then it’d be 3 years post residency and exit right? But on the other hand, GMO is a high possibility and also as you mentioned may have to repeat PGY 1 too?

I am going for Navy! Still have to go before the board for a 3 year scholarship, so nothing is guaranteed. With that, I’ve been debating if I should take the bonus or not especially since it seems navy is toss up on going straight through IM?

If I didn’t take the bonus and I was able to go straight through then it’d be 3 years post residency and exit right? But on the other hand, GMO is a high possibility and also as you mentioned may have to repeat PGY 1 too?
My understanding is the commitment is 3 years for the scenario you describe. However, if your residency is longer your ADSO increases. General Surgery for example.... 6 years at most military residencies so your ADSO would jump to 5 after residency if you go straight through.

Find the recent post about Navy residency changes that are a 'contract' to complete Intern Year, GMO, then return to complete residency rather than have to reapply to residency. It might only apply to some specialties and like many policies can be changed.

Consider taking loans and join the Navy after you are board eligible. Keep your options open.

Reactions: 1 user