Signing Employment Contracts Early in Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrileDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched SDN a few times and have been unable to come up with threads with many replies about this topic.

I am an incoming intern this year. This is a question that is interesting to me because I know that I will be practicing in the area in which I will do residency. The only thing at this point is not being entirely certain of the practice style I want to do (inpatient only vs. outpatient with inpatient). Is there any wisdom to seeking or considering offers for employment early in residency? One of the considerations would be loan forgiveness and stipends that these types of contracts offer that I have heard from other residents ahead of me. What do you all think?

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

I've searched SDN a few times and have been unable to come up with threads with many replies about this topic.

I am an incoming intern this year. This is a question that is interesting to me because I know that I will be practicing in the area in which I will do residency. The only thing at this point is not being entirely certain of the practice style I want to do (inpatient only vs. outpatient with inpatient). Is there any wisdom to seeking or considering offers for employment early in residency? One of the considerations would be loan forgiveness and stipends that these types of contracts offer that I have heard from other residents ahead of me. What do you all think?

Thanks for your input!
I wouldn't do it. You're not even an intern yet and still KNOW that you won't be leaving the area? That's a recipe for unhappiness in a job.

I wouldn't do it. You're not even an intern yet and still KNOW that you won't be leaving the area? That's a recipe for unhappiness in a job.

I appreciate the response. My situation is a little unusual. Without going into too much detail, I am from the area, went to school in the area, will do residency in the area, and all of my family is in the area. I guess there is always a small chance that I will move, but it is extremely unlikely.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the response. My situation is a little unusual. Without going into too much detail, I am from the area, went to school in the area, will do residency in the area, and all of my family is in the area. I guess there is always a small chance that I will move, but it is extremely unlikely.
Yeah I said the same thing at your stage... now I'm married and half the state away from where I thought I'd be.

Yeah I said the same thing at your stage... now I'm married and half the state away from where I thought I'd be.

Point taken. Though I'm also married with kids and my in-laws are in the same area as well.

I guess another way I can approach it is, how do you know the right time to sign an employment contract?

Point taken. Though I'm also married with kids and my in-laws are in the same area as well.

I guess another way I can approach it is, how do you know the right time to sign an employment contract?
Easy: your last year of residency/fellowship. Start looking at what's available in the later part of 2nd year, try and get a signed contract by end of that calendar year (so middle of 3rd year).

Easy: your last year of residency/fellowship. Start looking at what's available in the later part of 2nd year, try and get a signed contract by end of that calendar year (so middle of 3rd year).

This sounds like good advice. I appreciate you taking the time to give it.

The extra little checks they'll offer you as a resident are tempting. Especially now since you haven't even gotten your first intern paycheck. But you'll be fine when instead they cut you a big huge check at the end of residency when you start working for them... Just wait. I agree with va hopeful doc on the timeline....

Thanks for your input!
I think it would be great to receive loan forgiveness and stipends during residency however this is a HUGE deal and life/career altering choice. I would definitely wait an entire year of residency to make sure you know your options and know what kind of style you like. I would not recommend signing a contract during your intern year. Give it some time and I think you will make a better decision. It is not uncommon to sign an employment contract during your second year of residency if you are 100% certain on what type of practice you are looking for. I hope this helps. ~M.D Author/Editor BoardVitals