Silent Acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like, okay. I know everyone is worried about silent rejections and getting II's and stuff but like, is anyone else just freaking out about silent acceptances? Like, I haven't left my mom's basement in two weeks because I have so much pent up frustration from the paranoia that I'll be accepted to one of the 53 schools I applied to, but that the school that accepted me won't actually alert me that I was accepted so I'll go the entire cycle and not accept the acceptance and then not be accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
53 schools............................................

Allow me to process that first and I might reply to the other content in your post.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 25 users
Pssssssst

*whispers* hey you're in...to all 53 schools

:ninja:

Last edited:
Like, okay. I know everyone is worried about silent rejections and getting II's and stuff but like, is anyone else just freaking out about silent acceptances? Like, I haven't left my mom's basement in two weeks because I have so much pent up frustration from the paranoia that I'll be accepted to one of the 53 schools I applied to, but that the school that accepted me won't actually alert me that I was accepted so I'll go the entire cycle and not accept the acceptance and then not be accepted!

You're missing like, half the schools. Do you want the Dr. title or not?

Reactions: 7 users
Only 53? And you think you're gonna become a dr...?

Reactions: 1 users
Where did you find the money to apply to 53 schools...?

Members don't see this ad :)
53 schools............................................

Allow me to process that first and I might reply to the other content in your post.

I have 49 schools. Maybe I should add 4 more on amcas to catch up

Only 53?? Weak. Your GPA must be like 4.0 or something if you only applied to 53 schools. The average applicant applies to 60-80.

Reactions: 4 users
Only 53?? Weak. Your GPA must be like 4.0 or something if you only applied to 53 schools. The average applicant applies to 60-80.
Given how competitive admissions is getting, I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case in 10-20 years

Given how competitive admissions is getting, I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case in 10-20 years
Could you imagine if it got anywhere near that?? I can't see it happening, but that thought is frightening nonetheless :uhno:

go get some sun please

How else am I going to get into a top 20 school if I don't apply to all 53 of them?
LOL

update: I finally left my mom's basement

Reactions: 1 users
Nobody gets that many interviews.
I have seen an ROL with several hundred combinations for a couple's match, though.

Not for interviews, the most I've heard for that is around 45 (obviously didn't go to all of them), but from what I've heard upper teens to twenties is a good sign going into the match.

I was talking about how many programs they actually rank. Ranking 50 or 60 programs isn't that uncommon. I saw a recent report that surveyed recent grads from 20 different schools. The for people that went into surgery ranked an average of 56 programs within that field. These were also pretty respectable MD schools that were surveyed. Heck, I've heard of a few Carib grads that ranked around 200 programs. So I think that applying to 60 programs is something that will probably be pretty common a few years down the line seeing as it's not all that uncommon now.

Not for interviews, the most I've heard for that is around 45 (obviously didn't go to all of them), but from what I've heard upper teens to twenties is a good sign going into the match.

I was talking about how many programs they actually rank. Ranking 50 or 60 programs isn't that uncommon. I saw a recent report that surveyed recent grads from 20 different schools. The for people that went into surgery ranked an average of 56 programs within that field. These were also pretty respectable MD schools that were surveyed. Heck, I've heard of a few Carib grads that ranked around 200 programs. So I think that applying to 60 programs is something that will probably be pretty common a few years down the line seeing as it's not all that uncommon now.
I suppose if someone just shotgunned every surg pre-lim that didn't require an interview plus the places interviewed, it could go that high...
I have never seen a student do this, though.

I suppose if someone just shotgunned every surg pre-lim that didn't require an interview plus the places interviewed, it could go that high...
I have never seen a student do this, though.

Here's a link to the article I was talking about:http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/ama-wire/post/heres-many-residency-programs-students-really-apply

You'll notice that the average for surgery was 58.2 programs out of ~258 people in the survey that applied for surgery. That would be a lot of people shotgunning pre-lim spots...I've also talked to a few people in person that applied to over 60 spots for internal med. Maybe it's because they were DOs shooting for ACGME positions, but from the way they talked about it, they made it seem like it was pretty typical to do. Idk how common it actually is, but from my experiences 60 programs sounds pretty normal for some people.

Here's a link to the article I was talking about:http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/ama-wire/post/heres-many-residency-programs-students-really-apply

You'll notice that the average for surgery was 58.2 programs out of ~258 people in the survey that applied for surgery. That would be a lot of people shotgunning pre-lim spots...I've also talked to a few people in person that applied to over 60 spots for internal med. Maybe it's because they were DOs shooting for ACGME positions, but from the way they talked about it, they made it seem like it was pretty typical to do. Idk how common it actually is, but from my experiences 60 programs sounds pretty normal for some people.
Yes indeed, they apply for a lot of programs, but they don't rank the ones where they were not granted an interview (except for the prelims that don't interview).

Yes indeed, they apply for a lot of programs, but they don't rank the ones where they were not granted an interview (except for the prelims that don't interview).

I didn't realize there was that big of a difference other than certain fields like ortho where you have basically 0% chance of getting in if you aren't interviewed. That being said, I've still met several people that ranked over 60 programs, and they were not just going into surgery.

I didn't realize there was that big of a difference other than certain fields like ortho where you have basically 0% chance of getting in if you aren't interviewed. That being said, I've still met several people that ranked over 60 programs, and they were not just going into surgery.

You can't rank a program without an interview. as @gyngyn said, unless these are prelim spots that don't require an interview, no one has the time or energy to attend 60 interviews.

You can't rank a program without an interview. as @gyngyn said, unless these are prelim spots that don't require an interview, no one has the time or energy to attend 60 interviews.

Hmmm, sounds different than what I've heard, I know I was specifically told by more than one IM applicant that they "ranked" 60 programs. I'm sure there was probably some kind of miscommunication/misunderstanding if you can't rank places you don't interview at though.

Hmmm, sounds different than what I've heard, I know I was specifically told by more than one IM applicant that they "ranked" 60 programs. I'm sure there was probably some kind of miscommunication/misunderstanding if you can't rank places you don't interview at though.

Well, I think it was because they maybe ranked prelims that don't require an interview. Or, they applied at 60 places, perhaps? Regardless, that's nuts. I was exhausted after the few I had.

Medicine prelims (in contrast to surg) are very competitive. I'd be surprised if any of them did not interview.

Gosh... Even though I'm a non-traditional premed with a shaky history + upward trend, I still doubt I'd apply to over 20 schools... I've already narrowed down where I want to attend and will be just waiting to see how good I can get my grades and MCAT score. Anything over that seems like overkill. I'd assume that schools want to feel that you've done research, have valid reasons for applying, etc. 20 is still a lot in my opinion, but with my background, I'm going to have to apply to enough to maybe get a bite. I really don't want to think that MD is impossible, but alas.