Silly Parents in the App. Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StringTheorist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just spent god knows how long reading this thread in the premed group
(http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=41935)
I was amused for a very long time. Do you Pre-Pharms have any stories of your own?

Let me see if I can dig one up...
I remember my dad asking me what the PCAT was and why I had to take it. I told him it was a standardized test so colleges could compare students from different undergrad universities. He said "didn't you take that already?" "No, what are you talking about?" "You took it and we paid a lot." "No, dad, those were SATs, that was for undergrad admissions." "oh."

and then there's my mom, who is a nurse and has a ton of coworker's kids who are also pre-pharm. Once she found out I got in, she would start casual conversations with her friends and then drop that I had gotten into UF (which is where all the other pre-pharm kids want to go as well, but many were rejected or what not...). I swear, a good percentage of her happiness of me getting in was so that she could gloat a little. lol. oh, mom :D

Members don't see this ad.

For one reason or another, many people in the same community with my ethnicity (Vietnamese) like to gossip and compare their children like trophies or something. The most annoying thing from my parents was my dad getting disappointed and criticizing me about my shift from medicine to pharmacy. When talking to other parents, he tried so hard to downplay the popular "doesn't pharmacy school only require two years of undergrad" sentiment and backtrack from his past proclamation that I would be a medical student.

The second most annoying thing is how parents act like they are experts in the admissions process when in reality they make incorrect, inaccurate, and arrogant statements.

One time I had just finished a final late at night and driven back home 2.5 hours. I tried to sleep in the next day when my mom kept coming into the room with these weird questions. "I made breakfast. Do you want bacon?" "OK, maybe later." And then a few minutes passed. "Do you want the cat in the room? I'll go get her." "Alright" Then I fell asleep again and she woke me up with something like. "You have any clothes that you want to give away? I'm going to the Salvation Army today." "Uhhhhhh, noooooo" Then I finally asked her why she kept coming in and she said, "You got a letter from a pharmacy school and I want you to wake up and go open it." I knew it was a rejection because they send e-mails out first to the acceptees. So I opened it and it was a rejection and we were both like ,"Oh, ok so what." Then I went back to bed. :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think my dad just likes to tell people in my hometown,aka hillbilly land, that I am training to be a drug dealer.

Not so much with parents, but generally with everyone else:

Person X: So what are you majoring in?

Me: Biochem, and then I plan to go to pharmacy school?

Person X: Ohhh, so you want to be a pharmacist, that's great.

Me: Yep.

Person X: So hey, you'll give me medicine for free right, since we're cool and everything, you know...

lol....

2 weeks before I graduate with my BA in Marketing: (my rents are happily divorced)

"I think Im going to go back and get into Pharmacy school"

Mom: Sounds like a great idea!
Dad: :horrified look: Im not paying for it!

:D

When talking to other parents, he tried so hard to downplay the popular "doesn't pharmacy school only require two years of undergrad" sentiment and backtrack from his past proclamation that I would be a medical student.

If I remember correctly, it wasn't all that long ago that you could get into medical school with only two years undergrad. I think some schools still technically allow it, but the competition is too fierce.

If pharmacy keeps it up, it won't be too long before pharmacists are required to do 4+4.

my mother has the same hanit bragging to people that she has not seen in a while to her kids
Mom: ya My older son is in Law school
My daughter is doing pharmacy

only problem is i am not any where near in pharmacy school yet. so i told her not to tell people that anymore or they are going to think i was in pharmacy school for ten years!