Similar study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The2abraxis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I am back with another question that hopefully you guys can help me out on :D

I am looking for a good study that shows something like a "first impression bias". What I have found so far is Asch's study on the Primacy Effect, and how that related to first impressions. That is a very good one that is strongly related to what I am looking for, so I was wondering:

Are there any studies that you know of that are similar to this?

Members don't see this ad.

Not my area so I can't point you towards anything offhand.

Don't want to seem insulting, but just to make sure - did you try "Find citing articles" and "Find similar" in PsycInfo? That's what I usually try when the situation you described comes up and it usually works out pretty well.

Being the undergraduate I am, I have not used PsycInfo so much (a few times to help out a grad student for a lit search and for an english project), and until now, I did not know there was a similar results button! So that really helps, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there, I am back with another question that hopefully you guys can help me out on :D

I am looking for a good study that shows something like a "first impression bias". What I have found so far is Asch's study on the Primacy Effect, and how that related to first impressions. That is a very good one that is strongly related to what I am looking for, so I was wondering:

Are there any studies that you know of that are similar to this?

I think the stereotyping literature has stuff on the sort of thing you're looking at.

what about looking up the studies that M Gladwell calls 'thin slicing'?

i don't know if the stereotying lit is where you'd want to look...accurate first impression based on a short exposure isn't necessarily stereotyping.

wasn't there a study where students rated an instructor's effectiveness (or something like that) based on clips only a few seconds long? Sorry, that's pretty vague...

what about looking up the studies that M Gladwell calls 'thin slicing'?

i don't know if the stereotying lit is where you'd want to look...accurate first impression based on a short exposure isn't necessarily stereotyping.

wasn't there a study where students rated an instructor's effectiveness (or something like that) based on clips only a few seconds long? Sorry, that's pretty vague...

I remember reading about this (or a similar topic) when I was looking at
traits of effective professors and a few other things.

There is alot of research on how jurors react to lawyers and their clients in court room situations. They (like most of us ) choose up sides from the start. Interesting reading if you are are willing to look outside of Psychology or read the The Law and Psychology Journal.:)

just in general-does your college or uni have an online tutorial or, even better, a real live librarian one for doing lit search and research? it way seem like a lot of extra effort, but when i went from using the pubmed platform to ovid when i started grad school, doing one of those 1 hr. seminars was awesome--i learned so many great tricks that i never would have figured out on my own and really upped the productivity of my searches.

thanks for all your responses :-D. The juror research does seem interesting; that does go in line with what I am looking for.

And our school does help out with lit search and stuff. There is an undergrad showcase soon, and they have seminars on various topics; ill be going to a few :-D. Also, in my Research Methods class we are learning more about lit search and such, so that is helping as well.

Thanks again!