SIS Factfinder. Platelet counts for ESI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lobelsteve

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
70K. for those that dont want to sift through the article.

thats helpful.

SIS is really the only society that helps.

Reactions: 3 users
70 is nice. 50 is fine as well.
I once did SCS trial on guy with platelets at 22k.
Found out after the fact. Did not get hematoma or go to implant.
Died of ETOH liver Fx before hand.

Members don't see this ad :)
50 here, think about transfusion below but looks like that isn't useful maybe?

Honestly, this factfinder is just another example of why the SIS frustrates me so much. Every one of their factfinders are some variation of this:

"Gee, it sure would be nice to know what to do in this situation, so here's what other people say. That may be reasonable, but you might want to spend a lot of time and money getting consults from other specialties in every individual patient case too just in case. We're definitely not saying what YOU should do, that's your own decision."

Honestly, this factfinder is just another example of why the SIS frustrates me so much. Every one of their factfinders are some variation of this:

"Gee, it sure would be nice to know what to do in this situation, so here's what other people say. That may be reasonable, but you might want to spend a lot of time and money getting consults from other specialties in every individual patient case too just in case. We're definitely not saying what YOU should do, that's your own decision."
Interesting take on it. I have actually found them pretty helpful. Present the best available relevant evidence, and what the limitations on it are.