SIU MEDPREP 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am currently apartment hunting and i would appreciate it if someone who lives around SIU or has lived there recently could answer a few questions. Can anyone please let me know of the best places to live near SIU if you are a student? How far away from grocery stores are these locations and how does transportation work in that particular area? Furthermore, how is the environment of the apartment complex (es) you chose and what is the price? Thank you very much.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently apartment hunting and i would appreciate it if someone who lives around SIU or has lived there recently could answer a few questions. Can anyone please let me know of the best places to live near SIU if you are a student? How far away from grocery stores are these locations and how does transportation work in that particular area? Furthermore, how is the environment of the apartment complex (es) you chose and what is the price? Thank you very much.

Congrats on those who got in already! I am a first year at MEDPREP a.k.a will be one of your second years next year! I am glad to give advice to anyone on anything! Just let me know!

For Apartments:

First and foremost! Maybe wait until the whole class of 2018 is made, make a groupme chat for your class, then see who all wants to room with each other (if you decide that you want to room with other people). It is always convenient to room with MEDPREPers since we help each other out with groceries, getting to wheeler, etc. But its depends on who you are....Also look out for an email our second years (class of 2016) will be sending out notifications for subletting. So potential class of 2018 students can take over the outgoing class's apartments starting in the summer. For grocery shopping and other services, all stores are driving distance away from close to campus housing so I would definitely recommend a car in carbondale.

Evolve: http://www.evolveatsiu.com/
I currently live at a brand new complex called Evolve in the center of town. It is a 5 minute walk from Wheeler and a 7 minute walk from the library which is SUPER convenient and I barely use my car. Both of those locations you will there probably 90% of your time during your first year of MEDPREP. Evolve is very student centered so they give you all the basics which include nice living room, tv, granite surfaces in the kitchen and bathroom, stainless steel appliances, hardwood floors, etc. No one gets their own bathroom. In a 4 bedroom unit there would be max of 2 bathrooms to share. The downside about evolve is that the walls are pretty thin and A LOT of undergrads live there so you will definitely hear partying starting on thursdays till the weekend is over but not all the time....It is also by the train tracks and trains pass through all the time almost every night but your body will get use to it. It is more expensive than other places (around 650/month for a 4 bedroom). Also its payed parking (depending on where you want to park)

The Reserve at Saluki Pointe: http://www.reserveatsalukipointe.com/
I lived here in the summer since Evolve wasnt open yet and a lot of Medprepers live here. This apartment complex is about 2 miles south of campus, however, there is a bus that goes from the complex and drops off right on campus so getting to class wont be a problem without a car. The units are spacious and each room comes with its own bathroom which is definitely a great plus. It does not come with a tv which is the only thing you'll need to bring in addition to clothes and stuff if you choose to live there. But in MEDPREP theres little time for tv anyways :D you will be working HARD! (Around $450 for a 4 bedroom with FREE parking for residents and guests)

The Pointe: http://www.pointe-siu.com/
I know a handful of Medprepers here. It is similar to the reserves in terms of unit style especially with getting your own bathroom in each room. However, I did hear a lot of negative things about management. But if management is not a big deal then maybe look into it. It is walking distance but like a 15 minute walk. I would have a car while living here if needed.

The University Village: http://www.universityvillage-siu.com/
A good amount of MEDPREPers live here too. This place is similar to townhomes. You will have to share bathrooms with whom you room with.

Those 4 are the ones I would look into. The majority of MEDPREP students live in these complexes. Overall I would suggest the Reserve or Evolve. Reserve is nicely priced, free parking, spacious, and each person gets their own bathroom. Evolve is extremely close to campus, very nice, and convenient.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on those who got in already! I am a first year at MEDPREP a.k.a will be one of your second years next year! I am glad to give advice to anyone on anything! Just let me know!

For Apartments:

First and foremost! Maybe wait until the whole class of 2018 is made, make a groupme chat for your class, then see who all wants to room with each other (if you decide that you want to room with other people). It is always convenient to room with MEDPREPers since we help each other out with groceries, getting to wheeler, etc. But its depends on who you are....Also look out for an email our second years (class of 2016) will be sending out notifications for subletting. So potential class of 2018 students can take over the outgoing class's apartments starting in the summer. For grocery shopping and other services, all stores are driving distance away from close to campus housing so I would definitely recommend a car in carbondale.

I currently live at a brand new complex called Evolve in the center of town. It is a 5 minute walk from Wheeler and a 7 minute walk from the library which is SUPER convenient and I barely use my car. Both of those locations you will there probably 90% of your time during your first year of MEDPREP. Evolve is very student centered so they give you all the basics which include nice living room, tv, granite surfaces in the kitchen and bathroom, stainless steel appliances, hardwood floors, etc. No one gets their own bathroom. In a 4 bedroom unit there would be max of 2 bathrooms to share. The downside about evolve is that the walls are pretty thin and A LOT of undergrads live there so you will definitely hear partying starting on thursdays till the weekend is over but not all the time....It is also by the train tracks and trains pass through all the time almost every night but your body will get use to it. It is more expensive than other places (around 650/month for a 4 bedroom). Also its payed parking (depending on where you want to park)

I lived here in the summer since Evolve wasnt open yet and a lot of Medprepers live here. This apartment complex is about 2 miles south of campus, however, there is a bus that goes from the complex and drops off right on campus so getting to class wont be a problem without a car. The units are spacious and each room comes with its own bathroom which is definitely a great plus. It does not come with a tv which is the only thing you'll need to bring in addition to clothes and stuff if you choose to live there. But in MEDPREP theres little time for tv anyways :D you will be working HARD! (Around $450 for a 4 bedroom with FREE parking for residents and guests)

I know a handful of Medprepers here. It is similar to the reserves in terms of unit style especially with getting your own bathroom in each room. However, I did hear a lot of negative things about management. But if management is not a big deal then maybe look into it. It is walking distance but like a 15 minute walk. I would have a car while living here if needed.

A good amount of MEDPREPers live here too. This place is similar to townhomes. You will have to share bathrooms with whom you room with.

Those 4 are the ones I would look into. The majority of MEDPREP students live in these complexes. Overall I would suggest the Reserve or Evolve. Reserve is nicely priced, free parking, spacious, and each person gets their own bathroom. Evolve is extremely close to campus, very nice, and convenient.
Thank you so much for helping us out!! The links are really helpful. Do you know of any efficiency apartments, something a little less expensive. I'm out of state and do not have a car so walking will be a huge thing to consider, especially when it rains/snows :/ Thanks again!! Hope your semester is going well :)

Thank you so much for helping us out!! The links are really helpful. Do you know of any efficiency apartments, something a little less expensive. I'm out of state and do not have a car so walking will be a huge thing to consider, especially when it rains/snows :/ Thanks again!! Hope your semester is going well :)

If you do not mind community housing then ambassador is somewhere to consider too! Check it out here http://www.ambassadorhousing.com/

There are also apartments by the rec center which is not too far from campus. I do not know anyone who lives there but they look nice. It also seems like it is owned by SIU itself called Wall and Grand apartments http://housing.siu.edu/apartments/areas/wall-grand

No worries at all! For those already accepted to MEDPREP inbox me and I can add you on facebook!

No worries at all! For those already accepted to MEDPREP inbox me and I can add you on facebook!
Hey @UMVoyager I am going to Carbondale tomorrow for the Admissions Day being held this Friday. Any last minute advice to best prepare for the eventful day? Im a bit nervous about the interviews, can you tell me a bit about that process? Thank you in advance!!!

Hey cycle 2 applicants! When is your admissions day?
Hey @kaymellow im attending admissions day this friday, feb 26th. I will ask you the same, any last minute advice about the interview? Any questions that threw you off guard. And how is the essay portion of the exams, what did they ask?

Thank you in advance!!!!! Truly appreciated

Hey @UMVoyager I am going to Carbondale tomorrow for the Admissions Day being held this Friday. Any last minute advice to best prepare for the eventful day? Im a bit nervous about the interviews, can you tell me a bit about that process? Thank you in advance!!!

The best advice I have is BE YOURSELF! Show them what you have to offer and why you deserve this opportunity. Also, DO NOT WORRY about the exams. Those scores just provide a basis of your application. Some people below the average still get in but that means others aspect of your application should be good also! I would suggest looking at the mission statement the day before and applying it to your interview. Hopefully this helps! See you on admissions day!

Thanks this was super helpful! I toured Evolve, the Reserve, and the Pointe this past weekend. Debating between Evolve and Reserve.

Hello Kaymellow, how did you set up a touring day for Evolve, the Reserve and the Pointe. I wanted to do the same in the next couple of weeks. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those accepted: Have you all submitted FAFSA yet? I know we were told in an email that all of that would be taken care of after Cycle 2 applicant were accepted but it seems so weird waiting so long since they still have 1 more admission day. Thoughts?
Hey kaymellow, I submitted my FAFSA late January just to knock it out. I've also received my SAR but probably won't hear from SIU until later this month. I would go ahead and fill it out that way you'll at least know what you're working with. The last thing any of us needs is to have to worry about finances while studying :/

I agree. I am currently working on mine.
Hey kaymellow, I submitted my FAFSA late January just to knock it out. I've also received my SAR but probably won't hear from SIU until later this month. I would go ahead and fill it out that way you'll at least know what you're working with. The last thing any of us needs is to have to worry about finances while studying :/[/QUOTE

For Apartments:

Hi there, thank you so much for all off your advice, it's truly appreciated! Just a quick question, how are you able to pay monthly for Evolve? Is it through loans or through savings? I'm not sure I will be able to work to pay for rent. Thanks!

Hi there, thank you so much for all off your advice, it's truly appreciated! Just a quick question, how are you able to pay monthly for Evolve? Is it through loans or through savings? I'm not sure I will be able to work to pay for rent. Thanks!

No problem! Fortunately my parents are helping me out with rent. However, if you do one of the masters programs then you will able to have access to more financial aid to take out. Otherwise if you're traditional MEDPREP I would say do private loans (I do Sallie Mae -_-) if you have maxed out for undergrad.

No problem! Fortunately my parents are helping me out with rent. However, if you do one of the masters programs then you will able to have access to more financial aid to take out. Otherwise if you're traditional MEDPREP I would say do private loans (I do Sallie Mae -_-) if you have maxed out for undergrad.
Thanks for responding, I appreciate it!

How did admissions day go?

For Apartments:

For Apartments:

Hello UMVoyager,

I was in the process of looking for roommates. Can you please instruct me on how to make a groupme chat? Thank you.

To those accepted: Have you all submitted FAFSA yet? I know we were told in an email that all of that would be taken care of after Cycle 2 applicant were accepted but it seems so weird waiting so long since they still have 1 more admission day. Thoughts?

Hi Kaymellow,

I am currently looking for roommates. Are you interested in getting a roommate? If so, we could talk more on a groupme chat. I am not sure how to create one though, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Has anyone in cycle 2 heard anything yet???

Offering housing options on campus, dorms and such. Which admissions day did you attend?

Hey I apologize for the late response, as I am sure you already know, it was a heck of a long day. Have you heard back with a decision from them yet?

They pushed it back to April 22nd.

Hey sorry for the lack of response! It has been busy. Yes make a Groupme so your class will be able to get in touch and yes get roomates together. Just tell everyone to download the app then everyone should be able to add one another.

Quick Note: Once you hear from MEDPREP about your application status get your paperwork done and get FINANCIAL AID TOGETHER ASAP! Figuring things out for financial aid can take a while!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! I have just been accepted from cycle 2. Now I'm just trying to make connections and figure out this housing this. Did we try to start the group me yet?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I have just been accepted from cycle 2. Now I'm just trying to make connections and figure out this housing this. Did we try to start the group me yet?
Congratulations. Please message me so I can start a groupme.

Hi Kaymellow,

I am currently looking for roommates. Are you interested in getting a roommate? If so, we could talk more on a groupme chat. I am not sure how to create one though, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi, I am too. I'm hoping to live in the reserve at Saluki Pointe. Please message me your name so I can add you to the groupme.

Hey! I've been accepted for Cycle One. How about you?
Congrats! Hi, please Message me so I can add you to the Groupme. Also, are you looking to stay in the a reserve at Saluki Pointe? I'm looking for roommates.

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone got housing taken care of? We've been getting a lot of emails lately. How's it coming?

Hey everyone. First of all congratulations in getting into MEDPREP! I am a MEDPREP Alumna that just finished the program this year and I will be moving out of state for medical school in 12 days. If anyone is still looking for a place to stay, I am subleasing my apartment. My apartment is a two bedroom at the Reserves at Saluki Pointe. The sublease is from June 13th to July 31st, with the possibility of you being able to renew a lease if you like it there. I will be paying for June's rent ($610) and the transfer fee ($200). All you need to pay for is your application fee ($50), July's Rent ($610), and electricity (varies). My roommate will be in and out of the apartment, but mostly out because she will be out of town for a summer program. So you will have the apartment to yourself, majority of the time. Please PM me if interested!

*Each bedroom comes with it's own bathroom and walk-in closet

Last edited:
Hello everyone and congratulations on your acceptance to MEDPREP!!! Did someone create a Facebook page or Groupme for the class of 2018, if so can you message me or send me a link? Also, I am looking for roommates who want to live at the Reserves for the summer.

For Illinois residents, how much was tuition for you?

Those who are in there second year, did you apply to med school after your first year or wait until you finished the program?

Those who are in there second year, did you apply to med school after your first year or wait until you finished the program?

Since the first year of MEDPREP is aimed primarily for the MCAT you are expected to take it by the end of the school year (May/June). MEDPREP takes care of having your primary application done while going through out the year so you should be ready to submit right after you get your MCAT or even before if you are confident with how it went