Size of Procedure Suite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lonelobo

PAIN DOC
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My new partner and I are in planning stages of Build out of new office .
Wondering what you guys thought might be appropriate size of Procedure room
Using Pulsera C-arm with adjustable Oakworks table.
My initial thought was 18x12, we have total of 2500 sq ft.
any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If it is simply an injection procedure suite, that should be adequate. Make sure you check with the state radiation safety dept before beginning to build to make sure shielding is not required. Use extrawide doors that will accept a standard stretcher width (just in case of emergency). Also, if you anticipate using the suite as part of an ASC in the future, the size is determined by the type of anesthesia that will be delivered.... For full general anesthesia in an ASC, a 20x20 room is required...check latest regs if you are contemplating an ASC in the future...

I was 11x12 until a few months ago, now 22x12.
ASC in Georgia as single specialty (LNR) can be 15x15. But regs require a ton of other things- separate waiting room, recovery rooms, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Won't convert to ASC,
Will strictly be office based procedures.
Part of strip mall office space

depends on your state...

if you are planning on providing ANY office-based sedation, your state may require a certain size to the room...

if you are planning on radiation w/ fluoroscopy, your state may require a certain size room, certain wall thickness and what kind of things can be done in adjacent rooms

check out your regs before expensive buildout renovations...

The rule of thumb is that the minimum width of the room should be at least twice the length of the longest needle used...

Reactions: 5 users
Would a 16'1" x 10'7" room be sufficient for a Philips Pulsera, office based proceeders, no ASC plans, no or minimal IV sedation?

How much does shielding generally cost per unit size?

i have never worked in a room that was large enough. always compromises. another recurrent problem is air conditioning.
sweating is not a good thing in a sterile field. + those super - C's are bigger than the old fluoro units. + where does the computer work station go?

Reactions: 1 user
My 2c. Definitely tight but I think it's do able. If the table is 7 feet, that leaves 3 feet at the head in one configuration. You could also put the table diagonally?

I don't believe there are any room shielding requirements for portable c-arms. Some/all? states require a medical physicist to come to take measurements in the neighboring rooms to certify the machine is safe to use. A person at our state DOH told me he has never heard of lead lining being required, at least in my state. When I lived in Florida, it was basically the same protocol.

18'8"X 13'4". I wish that I had made the room a little wider. 10'7" is a bit tight for table. I have my monitor tower angled at the head of the bed.

Would a 16'1" x 10'7" room be sufficient for a Philips Pulsera, office based proceeders, no ASC plans, no or minimal IV sedation?

Friends,

About to pull the trigger on moving a c-arm (Philips Pulsera 9" II) and fluoro table into my office. I'd like to gather some more opinions on whether this will work with measurements before I make an expensive mistake. I'm poor at visualizing this so could use some help. I realize the room is not an ideal size, but it is what I have to work with currently. Steve was kind enough to help me out a while ago on this but could use some more opinions.

Room: 16'1" x 10'7" (490.2cm x 322.6cm) (Square Footage = 170.22 ft², Square Yards = 18.91 yd², Square Meters = 15.81 m²)
C-arm: 6'5" x 2'8" (196.1cm x 81.5cm) Longitudinal travel 7.9" (20cm)
Table: 6'8" x 2'0" (203cm x 61cm) Longitudinal travel 10 in. (25cm)

Is there an online architecture / room planning design program whereby I could plug in all these dimensions to visualize the space?
Is there an online service where I could hire somebody to do a 3D mockup of this in some sort of architectural design program?

PulseraInstructionsforUse.jpg

PulseraInstructionsforUseb.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I like graph paper.

Ot will work but will be a right squeeze walking around the head of the table. Foot of the table must go on long wall.

Reactions: 1 users
Width of the table (short axis) + long axis of C-arm.

Room for you on one side of the table, plus x-ray tech on the other side (although he/she can stand parallel to it).

Consider worst case scenario: room for a wheel chair or a stretcher alongside the table

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using SDN mobile

many thanks, all.

here is a draft I came up with. It is to scale, with c-arm and table reflecting their maximally extended dimensions.

Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 4.32.51 PM.png

Last edited:
pretty tight space, but doable. my c-arm suite is about this size.

11'8" x 15'6" is my room size. I had table on the long axis and c-arm on the short. worked out just fine. if I had a choice, I'd go with 16x16

Take the counter away, if u can

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using SDN mobile

11'8" x 15'6" is my room size. I had table on the long axis and c-arm on the short. worked out just fine. if I had a choice, I'd go with 16x16

I calculate your room has:
Square Footage = 180.83 ft²
Square Yards = 20.09 yd²
Square Meters = 16.80 m²

I calculate my room as:
Square Footage = 170.22 ft²
Square Yards = 18.91 yd²
Square Meters = 15.81 m²

Not much difference, hopefully will work. Thanks!

Doing this as well.

What are some opinions on ideal dimensions using full sized Phillips Pulsera?

I'd like to be able to provide moderate sedation if desired, and step away from the table for laterals.

16' x 16'?

Doing this as well.

What are some opinions on ideal dimensions using full sized Phillips Pulsera?

I'd like to be able to provide moderate sedation if desired, and step away from the table for laterals.

16' x 16'?

I'd go for 20x20' More room is always better. Also look into the state regs for california to see what minimum size room must be for MAC.

we just moved out of a space that was similar to your mock up, the counter behind always got in the way and wasnt truely used well. I would turn table if you could and use side table/counter to give you some descent room behind. Our new procedure room (also using pulsera) in office is 17x17. with some built in area on opposite side by rad tech, then side counter along wall that is at foot of the bed. we also use monitor for image mounter on wall so you dont have to worry about the cart, rad tech place where ever they need it. With built in area create space to put RF cart out of the way, other items no rack easily accessible and not taking up space in procedure room so it is actual quite roomy and tidy.

Don't you need a counter and sink??

If just doing bread and butter injections without sedation or just PO Valium/Xanax, could someone get away with 14 X 9 for an office fluoro suite? Seems a little tight but all that's available for a potential build out at this point.

If just doing bread and butter injections without sedation or just PO Valium/Xanax, could someone get away with 14 X 9 for an office fluoro suite? Seems a little tight but all that's available for a potential build out at this point.
Yes. You could also get a mini which would save some space

The 9 ft. dimension is potentially too small. You or your staff won’t be able to walk around the table. Inadequate space may slow you down to the point that it is a hassle to do the procedures in-office.

The 9 ft. dimension is potentially too small. You or your staff won’t be able to walk around the table. Inadequate space may slow you down to the point that it is a hassle to do the procedures in-office.

Chatted with the my group's CEO and looked at floor plans. A 13 X 10.5 space may also be an option. Would this be better you think? Still tight but more length for table and still adequate room for C arm. Thanks for your input!

Update on my situation, my room size is just sufficient for all interventional pain procedures. I would not recommend anything smaller. Also, have placed the table diagonally in the room instead of perpendicular to wall. Thanks everybody for the advise.

I did some research online about procedure suite room size before committing to an office space. The dimensions of a room to comfortably fit a c-arm and table with good maneuverability is 12' x 12'. You could get away with less, but it'll be tight.

Update on my situation, my room size is just sufficient for all interventional pain procedures. I would not recommend anything smaller. Also, have placed the table diagonally in the room instead of perpendicular to wall. Thanks everybody for the advise.

i was going to say use the corner of the room for the c-arm....really opens up the room.

If you can, avoid perfectly symmetrical room dimensions due to possibility of slap echo. Make one wall dimension a few inches longer. My procedure room has really high ceiling and I had to spend $ on acoustic treatments.

I do get a lot of questions from patients when they see them as to whether it is to muffle the screams. Fortunately, no.

Chatted with the my group's CEO and looked at floor plans. A 13 X 10.5 space may also be an option. Would this be better you think? Still tight but more length for table and still adequate room for C arm. Thanks for your input!

That’s probably workable, just maybe a little uncomfortable.

Necrobump

I have a room that is 10 x 20’ that could potentially be turned into a small procedure suite. Would not do trials or kypho in this space. The hallway and doorway is big enough that EMS can roll nursing home patients in stretchers to this exam room, I am not sure if that is about the same width and depth needed to get a small C arm into the space. I’m wondering if the 10’ would be too small to be worth pursuing for a build out?

Necrobump

I have a room that is 10 x 20’ that could potentially be turned into a small procedure suite. Would not do trials or kypho in this space. The hallway and doorway is big enough that EMS can roll nursing home patients in stretchers to this exam room, I am not sure if that is about the same width and depth needed to get a small C arm into the space. I’m wondering if the 10’ would be too small to be worth pursuing for a build out?
I think you could do it with a well thought out layout and a compact c-arm. The table would go in the middle, across the 10 ft distance. The procedure tables are about 7 ft long, which leaves just enough for someone to squeeze around the head of the bed. The c arm on one side of the bed - about 9 ft on that side should leave enough space to pull it back out of the way. Plenty of space on the other side for a counter for lead rack, meds, sink, mayo stand, and enough room to stand back from the fluoro.

The orientation above is the best way to go. That said, I think the 20 is fine, but the 10 is a little tight. Think about if you leave 1' clearance on the feet side (so RT can go back and forth), you'll have 2" clearance at the head. If you do cervical and need cephalocaudal tilt, you might be hitting the wall. Also, if you're doing cervical, you have to have clearance for lat view so the monitor, since it can't fit in 2', has to be far to the side or on the other side of the table but by the legs, so you're constantly turning your head to look. Think about where RFA generator would be too.

Diagonal orientation of table might fix these issues, but leaves more dead space.

The orientation above is the best way to go. That said, I think the 20 is fine, but the 10 is a little tight. Think about if you leave 1' clearance on the feet side (so RT can go back and forth), you'll have 2" clearance at the head. If you do cervical and need cephalocaudal tilt, you might be hitting the wall. Also, if you're doing cervical, you have to have clearance for lat view so the monitor, since it can't fit in 2', has to be far to the side or on the other side of the table but by the legs, so you're constantly turning your head to look. Think about where RFA generator would be too.

Diagonal orientation of table might fix these issues, but leaves more dead space.
Mount a big flatscreen on the wall, and hook the c-arm output up. That’s what we have - it’s great. Then you don’t need to worry about where the little screen is.
RFA generator by the foot of the table, on a rolling cart. Can be pushed back into the corner when not in use.

it's NOT built out yet? You might have less than 10' after it is built. Get a 1 piece and/or display on wall.....build out the electric for that. Tape it out on the floor with the exact dimensions of your c-arm and table. I have a narrow table that i wouldnt trade for anything. Get one.

Sadly I don’t think my patients would fit on a narrow table…

Dumb question. If the room has windows, are you supposed to put up the lead lining over it?