Program-Specific Info / Q's SJSU 2019-2020 MSOT Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sure! I was time stamped October 10th

University of California San Diego
Major: BS in Public Health/ business minor
GPA: 3.62 overall, 3.8 prereq
GRE: 159v 155q 4.5 AWA
Shadowing: 150 hours in 3 settings
Extracurriculars: VP of service for my schools pre OT club, research internship at an exercise physio lab at my school, 2 years in respite care, current job as an RBT

That is so funny! I thought I was the only one who had a Public Health Major and Minor in Accounting/Business. Your stats are amazing! Good to know they are currently on 10/10. Just got to be patient. Mine was time-stamped 11/4. :( The waiting game is hard for sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations! May I asked when did you turn in your application last year? I’m a late applicant so I have very little hope :(
Thank you. Last year I turned in my application at the end of Nov.

For everyone accepted or enrolled, do you mind explaining the financial aid/cost of attendance? Are you only offered loans? Can you pay tuition monthly?

Hi, for the past 4 semesters (Fall 2018, Spring 2019, Fall 2019, and Spring 2020) it was roughly $4700 each semester ($18,800 total). The required international experience is anywhere from $2000-3000 depending on the class you take and the country you go to (this doesn't include flight, transportation, food and drink, staying longer in the country or around there since you get the whole summer off!). Also, the "required international experience" isn't required, but if you forgo it you have to do 40 hours of community service and take an extra 1 unit mindfulness class. Some say that takes up more time than is worth the money you save plus having a reason to visit a new country is always super fun!. FWII will be 6 units which I think it part time and there are two FWII. I don't know the price but I don't think it's the same as $4700 (but someone correct me if I'm wrong). So, if I had to guess, the entire academic portion if under $25,000.

I didn't have to take out loans myself but I believe you can get unsubsidized loans no matter what as long as you applied for FAFSA on time. I think those are the ones that accrue interest right away instead of being deferred until after graduation because we're grad students. There are scholarships out there within the department and within SJSU that you could always apply to as well. I've seen them range from $500-2000. A lot of the students also get part-time jobs on campus or off if you have a special skill.

I don't believe you can pay tuition monthly, but I could be wrong on that as well! If you get unsubsidized loans, I think you are required to pay it before the semester starts.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, for the past 4 semesters (Fall 2018, Spring 2019, Fall 2019, and Spring 2020) it was roughly $4700 each semester ($18,800 total). The required international experience is anywhere from $2000-3000 depending on the class you take and the country you go to (this doesn't include flight, transportation, food and drink, staying longer in the country or around there since you get the whole summer off!). Also, the "required international experience" isn't required, but if you forgo it you have to do 40 hours of community service and take an extra 1 unit mindfulness class. Some say that takes up more time than is worth the money you save plus having a reason to visit a new country is always super fun!. FWII will be 6 units which I think it part time and there are two FWII. I don't know the price but I don't think it's the same as $4700 (but someone correct me if I'm wrong). So, if I had to guess, the entire academic portion if under $25,000.

I didn't have to take out loans myself but I believe you can get unsubsidized loans no matter what as long as you applied for FAFSA on time. I think those are the ones that accrue interest right away instead of being deferred until after graduation because we're grad students. There are scholarships out there within the department and within SJSU that you could always apply to as well. I've seen them range from $500-2000. A lot of the students also get part-time jobs on campus or off if you have a special skill.

I don't believe you can pay tuition monthly, but I could be wrong on that as well! If you get unsubsidized loans, I think you are required to pay it before the semester starts.

Hope that helps.

MrTL: Do the OT students have an anatomy lab section? I reviewed the degree roadmap and didn't see a class for that. Perhaps it is titled something else and I missed it. Thanks!

MrTL: Do the OT students have an anatomy lab section? I reviewed the degree roadmap and didn't see a class for that. Perhaps it is titled something else and I missed it. Thanks!

I believe there is still a cadaver anatomy lab required for entry into the program so there is no anatomy lab section within the program itself. There is a kinesiology course but no specific lab portions.

I believe there is still a cadaver anatomy lab required for entry into the program so there is no anatomy lab section within the program itself. There is a kinesiology course but no specific lab portions.

Ah gotcha! Thank you. :)

I was just accepted into SJSU's program! I turned my application in on December 16th and thought that I had no chance, considering how late I was. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 3 users
I was just accepted into SJSU's program! I turned my application in on December 16th and thought that I had no chance, considering how late I was. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? :)

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? :)
Thank you!

Undergrad: SJSU, Kinesiology, 2019
Cumulative GPA: 3.57
Pre-Req Gpa: 3.56
GRE: v 154, q 148, AW 5.0
Volunteer/Work:
-40 hours shadow inpatient hospital
-40 hours shadow outpatient peds
-250+ hours work as hand therapy tech
-100+ hours work as a special needs camp counselor
-50 hours work as an adapted aquatics instructor

Wow you’re amazing to have gotten accepted this early!! May I ask if your personal statement stuck to SJSU’s 500 words limit or no?

Wow you’re amazing to have gotten accepted this early!! May I ask if your personal statement stuck to SJSU’s 500 words limit or no?
Thank you! I took my general personal statement and reduced it down to 523 words. I'm happy to answer any other questions! :)

Just out of curiosity. For those accepted already, has there been a FB group created yet? If so, how many people are already in the group? I am a little nervous as March is approaching. ><

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity. For those accepted already, has there been a FB group created yet? If so, how many people are already in the group? I am a little nervous as March is approaching. ><
There is, and as of right now there are 33 members.

Just a heads up, it's hard to rely on the FB group numbers since current students may be added to it as well to help out. My cohorts FB group has like 130 people but only ~80 are actually in my year. The other 50 were from the year before us.

Hi guys I’ve been following the forums for years since my undergrad and just got my acceptance!! Still in shock and really thought I wouldn’t get in this cycle and was okay with the idea of reapplying because I turned in everything so late in the game on Jan 28! (I’ve taken the GRE literally five times since last June and kept scoring a 152 in verbal and finally got a 155 that morning of the 28th and turned in everything in person right after!)

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys I’ve been following the forums for years since my undergrad and just got my acceptance!! Still in shock and really thought I wouldn’t get in this cycle and was okay with the idea of reapplying because I turned in everything so late in the game on Jan 28! (I’ve taken the GRE literally five times since last June and kept scoring a 152 in verbal and finally got a 155 that morning of the 28th and turned in everything in person right after!)

Congratulations!!! Way to persevere!

Hello all, I just received my acceptance letter yesterday morning!! I emailed back accepting my spot at SJSU. Does anyone know what the next step is? Will they email me with more information?

Hello all, I just received my acceptance letter yesterday morning!! I emailed back accepting my spot at SJSU. Does anyone know what the next step is? Will they email me with more information?
Congrats! May I ask what are your stats and when you turned in your packet? :)

Congrats! May I ask what are your stats and when you turned in your packet? :)

I turned it in on Christmas :)

Bachelor of Science: Elementary Education.
-OTCAS Calculated my GPA as a 3.7.
-GRE: 155-V 149-Q 4.5-AW
-I have worked as a teacher for 4 years
-150 hrs shadowing an OT at an OP Peds
-325 hrs working as a rehab tech/shadowing OTs there
-20 shadowing a school OT
-4000+ hrs working under a community agency person (Principal)
-4 LORs: 2 from professors, 1 from an OT and 1 from my Vice Principal

I also met with Gigi Smith in Sept or so for an advising appointment.

I believe I’ve covered everything. Please let me know if you have any more questions. This thread has helped me a ton and I would love to return the favor!

I turned it in on Christmas :)

Bachelor of Science: Elementary Education.
-OTCAS Calculated my GPA as a 3.7.
-GRE: 155-V 149-Q 4.5-AW
-I have worked as a teacher for 4 years
-150 hrs shadowing an OT at an OP Peds
-325 hrs working as a rehab tech/shadowing OTs there
-20 shadowing a school OT
-4000+ hrs working under a community agency person (Principal)
-4 LORs: 2 from professors, 1 from an OT and 1 from my Vice Principal

I also met with Gigi Smith in Sept or so for an advising appointment.

I believe I’ve covered everything. Please let me know if you have any more questions. This thread has helped me a ton and I would love to return the favor!

Wow your stats are amazing! Thank you. I am patiently waiting and hoping for the best. Still really anxious though. Love this forum it has helped me through lots haha. :)

Wow your stats are amazing! Thank you. I am patiently waiting and hoping for the best. Still really anxious though. Love this forum it has helped me through lots haha. :)
Thank you so much! Stay positive, it will all work out at the end of the day. Good luck:)

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats and when you submitted your application packet? Did you just get it today? :0 If so thats cool that they do send out notices on weekends as well.
Yes I just got it last night! And I believe I submitted it in October/November.
University: Cal Poly SLO
Major: Child Development
GPA: 3.86
GRE: V- 153 Q-146 W-5.0
Hours: 504 Pediatric OT hours, 348 ABA hours, 2060 Respite hours, lots of extra curriculars

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone share what the schedule of classes is like? Are classes held every week day? I live in the East Bay and want to know if I should commute for the first six months of school or look for an apartment closer to campus. Thank you in advance:)

Yes I just got it last night! And I believe I submitted it in October/November.
University: Cal Poly SLO
Major: Child Development
GPA: 3.86
GRE: V- 153 Q-146 W-5.0
Hours: 504 Pediatric OT hours, 348 ABA hours, 2060 Respite hours, lots of extra curriculars

Wow thank you! Amazing Stats. :)

Can anyone share what the schedule of classes is like? Are classes held every week day? I live in the East Bay and want to know if I should commute for the first six months of school or look for an apartment closer to campus. Thank you in advance:)

Are you in the Facebook group? Elaine posted a sample schedule there.

Has anyone heard back recently? From those accepted, how long do you have to accept or decline your seat?

Has anyone heard back recently? From those accepted, how long do you have to accept or decline your seat?
Hey there! In my acceptance email there was no set date. Just a note to reply ASAP.

Just got my conditional acceptance just now and I have accepted! Excited to meet the rest of you guys in August! Below are my stats if it is helpful. Good luck to the rest who are waiting! Don't give up hope. :)

Application time stamped: 11/4
Major: Public Health Sciences
GPA: 3.70
GRE: 155V, 149 Q, 4.0 AWA
Volunteer:
-80 Research Lab (Shadowing OT)
-100 Neurofeedback Tech (During Undergrad Practicum)
-121 Pediatric Clinic
-25 Animal Assisted Therapy
-112 Hand Therapy Clinic

Reactions: 1 users
After reaching out to the graduate admissions assistant, admissions advisor ,and the chair of the department on April 12th about my application status I received my conditional acceptance! This is a huge deal for me and also for others who may have a GRE score that falls slightly below the minimum. I attended the info session in 2018 and was told that applications will not be considered if the GRE verbal score is below 153. In my email I was notified that the committee "re-reviewed your application and took several things into consideration that will offset the minimum GRE score in the verbal section not being met by one point." It probably helped that I attached my acceptance letters from U of Puget Sound and USC.

Wishing everyone luck who die hard wants to attend SJSU! Don't be discouraged and be an advocate for yourself !! Follow-up on your application (I was sure I didn't get in this late in the game) I submitted my application in mid-December.

Here are my stats:

UCLA
Fine arts major, Arts education minor
undergrad GPA: 3.6
prereq GPA: all As
GRE: 152V 151Q 4W
83 hrs at VA
23 hrs at Peds clinic
I work part time as a PE and Art/fashion teacher for elementary kids

Reactions: 2 users
After reaching out to the graduate admissions assistant, admissions advisor ,and the chair of the department on April 12th about my application status I received my conditional acceptance! This is a huge deal for me and also for others who may have a GRE score that falls slightly below the minimum. I attended the info session in 2018 and was told that applications will not be considered if the GRE verbal score is below 153. In my email I was notified that the committee "re-reviewed your application and took several things into consideration that will offset the minimum GRE score in the verbal section not being met by one point." It probably helped that I attached my acceptance letters from U of Puget Sound and USC.

Wishing everyone luck who die hard wants to attend SJSU! Don't be discouraged and be an advocate for yourself !! Follow-up on your application (I was sure I didn't get in this late in the game) I submitted my application in mid-December.

Here are my stats:

UCLA
83 hrs at VA
23 hrs at Peds clinic
Congratulations! That's so amazing and awesome for people to know! I could never reach their GRE verbal standard (151) so I didn't apply. I'm happy to hear that they really do try and look holistically at an applicant (even if they set criteria).

Here are my stats:

UCLA
83 hrs at VA
23 hrs at Peds clinic
Congrats!! Thats amazing! Can I ask why you pursued SJSU even after getting accepted by USC? I'm on the same boat, but I had been questioning my decision and have been giving myself a hard time about it. Maybe hearing your perspective could help me validate my decision of prioritizing finances over prestige.

for future applicants: SJSU is putting in some wiggle room for GRE requirements this coming application cycle because of COVID19

FOR ACCEPTED STUDENTS: how can I get access to the Facebook group? I have not heard back from Gigi or Elaine and am excited to meet everyone!!

Congrats!! Thats amazing! Can I ask why you pursued SJSU even after getting accepted by USC? I'm on the same boat, but I had been questioning my decision and have been giving myself a hard time about it. Maybe hearing your perspective could help me validate my decision of prioritizing finances over prestige.
Just sent you a message.