Program-Specific Info / Q's SJSU fall 2021 MSOT Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I am not super familiar with all the details of rolling admission, but is that ever the case that an application just isn't even reviewed? I mean even if the class is full wouldn't they at least review it to then decide if you should be on the waitlist or not accepted?
no they actually stop reviewing once the cohort is full.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Here is what I found on the application checklist: "Note that a rolling admission policy applies (we may accept applications and fill the class before Feb. 1st; in that event, we will close the application process." So I believe whenever the OT dept. fills the cohort, they will stop reviewing apps.

So I am not super familiar with all the details of rolling admission, but is that ever the case that an application just isn't even reviewed? I mean even if the class is full wouldn't they at least review it to then decide if you should be on the waitlist or not accepted?
That’s what I was told. “We were unable to review your application.”

Members don't see this ad :)
That is weird I still have not received anything!
The graduate advisor told me via email that final decisions will be sent out this week so I am thinking we should hear back in the next few days! 🤞

I had mine submitted by 12/03, which now comparing it to everyone's date it is pretty late.
I submitted mine 1/21, so maybe it’s a good thing since I got rejected? Maybe there is a reason they are holding onto it?

I had mine time stamped end of october and I STILL haven't heard anything either!

I submitted mine 1/21, so maybe it’s a good thing since I got rejected? Maybe there is a reason they are holding onto it?
That is what I keep telling myself, maybe just maybe I am on the "waitlist"

I had mine time stamped end of october and I STILL haven't heard anything either!
Mine was time stamped in early October, so I have lost hope that I'll get in this year... but yes that's true, maybe they do have a waitlist. I keep checking my email throughout the day, every day, especially now that I know we should be hearing from them soon! Hopefully we will find out very soon!

Well folks its the end of the week and I still haven't heard anything. The payment for neuroanatomy is coming up and its a hefty one, I absolutely cannot afford to pay for this class if I am not even admitted. I have sent another email pleading with Katlyn, but most of my emails about the status of my application get no response. In fact, two weeks ago I emailed asking about neuroanatomy AND the status of my app, and my neuro question was answered while my app question was just ignored. Sorry for the rant, I am just so frustrated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well folks its the end of the week and I still haven't heard anything. The payment for neuroanatomy is coming up and its a hefty one, I absolutely cannot afford to pay for this class if I am not even admitted. I have sent another email pleading with Katlyn, but most of my emails about the status of my application get no response. In fact, two weeks ago I emailed asking about neuroanatomy AND the status of my app, and my neuro question was answered while my app question was just ignored. Sorry for the rant, I am just so frustrated!
I can definitely understand why you're frustrated. I am hoping we will hear something later tonight or at least by next week at the latest :(

Reactions: 1 users
I can definitely understand why you're frustrated. I am hoping we will hear something later tonight or at least by next week at the latest :(
Keep us updated! I really hope you guys hear something!

I got in...a lil speechless right now
That's really great news! Congratulations!! 🎉 I am still waiting to hear back, but I am planning to reapply this fall if I don't get in this time. Do you mind sharing your stats? I am hoping to strengthen my application for the next application cycle 🙂

How were you able to sign up for the neuroanatomy course if you haven't been accepted yet?

That's really great news! Congratulations!! 🎉 I am still waiting to hear back, but I am planning to reapply this fall if I don't get in this time. Do you mind sharing your stats? I am hoping to strengthen my application for the next application cycle 🙂
Thank you! Still very much in shock. I am definitely one of those candidates that wasn't the strongest academically, but I wrote my heart out in that personal statement and had great letters of rec!
major: ex phys (science heavy major, chem hurt my gpa lol)
cum: 3.02 (literally by the hair of my chin)
pre req: 3.52

I’m sorry to hear that, I was told to just apply as early as possible, but not given anymore specifics pertaining to my application, although I asked if it was even reviewed haha..I mean it would be nice to know if it’s just the time and not our app 😆
Sounds like you have an awesome, varied background in the field and I don’t think that would be a cause for rejection. I honestly think we just have to apply as early as possible. I too, have work experience, volunteer experience, and years of observing my daughter in occupational therapy, so honestly I think we just have to apply earlier. I plan on reapplying, I hope you do too! And if you do, we should link up and maybe see what areas to strengthen in the meantime!

I was gonna say, I met an SJSU OT student at my current job, who advised to apply as early as possible (Oct 1st). She applied 10/1 and was accepted.
I submitted my OTCAS online app right on 10/1 first thing in the AM.
BUT my physical application packet didn't arrive to the department until 10/6. I still was accepted... But I'd say next year just apply right on 10/1, and maybe submit your physical application one week early so it arrives on or around 10/1. I think that truly makes a big difference!!

Realized I didn't include any of the volunteer experiences. For those who might be curious: I did a semester long program called kids play that worked one on one with a child with disabilities on getting them active and interacting with other children, I talked about how that solidified my decision to become an OT in my essay. My child was nonverbal and I worked each week with parents and their goals. We would swim, play soccer, and try to get him to be part of the group! I had my boss right a letter (I am a childcare director), the peds OT who I spent a lot of time with asking lots of questions, and my physiology professor who was just incredible. My major also helped me get hours volunteering at events like "adapted physical education day" or "Family fun knight" (carnival event to raise money for autism). That's what I feel helped my app the most!

Reactions: 2 users
Realized I didn't include any of the volunteer experiences. For those who might be curious: I did a semester long program called kids play that worked one on one with a child with disabilities on getting them active and interacting with other children, I talked about how that solidified my decision to become an OT in my essay. My child was nonverbal and I worked each week with parents and their goals. We would swim, play soccer, and try to get him to be part of the group! I had my boss right a letter (I am a childcare director), the peds OT who I spent a lot of time with asking lots of questions, and my physiology professor who was just incredible. My major also helped me get hours volunteering at events like "adapted physical education day" or "Family fun knight" (carnival event to raise money for autism). That's what I feel helped my app the most!
Thank you for sharing your volunteer experience! :giggle:

Hi everyone! I got my acceptance and I'm still very much in shock. My application was timestamp 10/7, so hang in there everyone! They are coming back around it looks like. I wish you guys will hear good news soon!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone! I got my acceptance and I'm still very much in shock. My application was timestamp 10/7, so hang in there everyone! They are coming back around it looks like. I wish you guys will hear good news soon!
congrats! im still in shock as well lol.

• Care
Hi all!!! Phew, that waiting game was rough.... but I just found out on Thursday night, I GOT IN!!! :)

However here is the tricky part- I work fulltime, so getting my prerequisites done has been slow. I still need to take 3 classes this summer (neuroscience, physiology and abnormal psyc).

Does anyone know if they defer enrollment? Or else I can quit my job, take out a loan and knock them out... however they are pretty tough courses from the sounds of it. And as we know I would need to get at least a B in all of them. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I hope to talk to admissions this week and get their thoughts.

Best of luck to you all.... hang in there!!!

Sally
Congrats! I’m taking neuroanatomy right now and it’s a lot so I can’t imagine abnormal psych and physiology on top of it. Physiology was a lot too.
They don’t defer enrollment though :/ that’s a hard decision

Thank you.
They said they filled the cohort before they even “reached my application”. So I didn’t even know if it was reviewed.
:/
I’m sorry :( Dr Smith said they filled the cohort by January so it likely wasn’t reviewed. It seems like people getting acceptance letters now are from people who declined spots. I highly recommend mailing your application to the department at the end of September so it arrives October 1st. Ditto with OTCAS, submit everything weeks in advance so it’s verified October 1st. That’s what I did. Katlyn confirmed they received my application materials October 6th I believe. Good luck in the next cycle! Hope to see you in 2022 :)

Is anyone still waitlisted for the neuroanatomy course starting in June? I am worried that I won't be able to take the course and therefore will not be allowed to start the program.

Did you guys take neuroanatomy before you got accepted or after you got accepted? I am planning to take it at SJSU through open university but I don’t know if the cost is worth it since I have not been accepted yet

Did you guys take neuroanatomy before you got accepted or after you got accepted? I am planning to take it at SJSU through open university but I don’t know if the cost is worth it since I have not been accepted yet
After, b/c no other program I applied too needed neuroanatomy so I didn’t want to take it if I didn’t have too.

Is anyone still waitlisted for the neuroanatomy course starting in June? I am worried that I won't be able to take the course and therefore will not be allowed to start the
You shouldn’t be waitlisted? They reserve spots for incoming OT students

Are you in the Facebook group? Katlyn posted about adding your name to a Google drive so they know how many need to take the class and you can find out more info on how to register. I believe you get an add code from Dr. Wynn

You shouldn’t be waitlisted? They reserve spots for incoming OT students

Are you in the Facebook group? Katlyn posted about adding your name to a Google drive so they know how many need to take the class and you can find out more info on how to register. I believe you get an add code from Dr. Wynn
I am not in the group yet. I didn't know there was a link. I'll request to join

Sure! Lol also I noticed all the words on this forum have been changed to Easter theme? haha
Here they are:

Grade point Average: 3.82 (last 60 units) Human/Child Development at CSU East Bay
Prerequisites : 4.0
GRE: V: 147 Q: 143 AWA: 4.0 ...... very low in my opinion, was planning on retaking and then COVID happened. But I saw SJSU wasn't taking it into account this year so I applied anyway! And it worked out!

Volunteer: 80 hours at an OT led sensory processing disorder camp
20 hours private social learning/OT clinic
20 hours SF food bank

Work Experience: 1 year front desk at outpatient pediatric sports medicine clinic
3.5 years as the rehab aide at UCSF Oakland Childrens hospital (majority inpatient, but some outpatient)

Certifications: Certified yoga teacher 200 hours
LOR: One from the OT I worked with as inpatient rehab aide, one from my OT manager at UCSF, one from the OT I volunteered with at camp, one from my child development professor
Schools applied to: CSUDH, SJSU.... rejected from CSUDH as my stats weren't high enough

I think my stats looked good but my GRE was so bad. I really thought I wouldn't have a shot. But my experience at Oakland Children's as the rehab aide I think is what helped most, LOTS of experience working with patients and families in an acute inpatient rehab setting. (I started as a volunteer at Oakland Children's) Let me know if you have any questions, happy to answer them!
Hi! How were you able to see that SJSU wasn't taking the GRE into account this year? Was it in one of the info sessions? On their website it's still showing they're requiring a verbal score of 153.

Hi! How were you able to see that SJSU wasn't taking the GRE into account this year? Was it in one of the info sessions? On their website it's still showing they're requiring a verbal score of 153.
It’s in the informational page, it’s still taken into consideration, although you do not need to meet the minimum requirements to apply. They are waiving it this year as well, I heard from the grad advisor.

Thank you! Still very much in shock. I am definitely one of those candidates that wasn't the strongest academically, but I wrote my heart out in that personal statement and had great letters of rec!
major: ex phys (science heavy major, chem hurt my gpa lol)
cum: 3.02 (literally by the hair of my chin)
pre req: 3.52
Did you share your GRE scores on your app? I'm debating whether to retake it or not. Academics has also been my biggest hurdle so hearing that you got in makes me very hopeful! Thank you!

Anybody here that can help me with reapplying? I’m a bit confused about the OTCAS process. Message me!

Hello! I know this forum is from last year, but I'm now applying this year and just wanted to share that this entire thread really helped me feel a bit more prepared for the near future. Hope your cohort is thriving after all the hard work you guys put into getting in!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if we have to send proof to the OT department indicating that our anatomy lab had a human cadaver? I read this on their prerequisite course website "You must provide proof of completion of at least 6 hours of a human cadaver lab. You can supply the course catalog description, certificate of completion, or letter from the professor which must include the hours and content" and wasn't sure if any of these extra supplements are required ONLY if our lab didn't have a cadaver.

Does anyone know if we have to send proof to the OT department indicating that our anatomy lab had a human cadaver? I read this on their prerequisite course website "You must provide proof of completion of at least 6 hours of a human cadaver lab. You can supply the course catalog description, certificate of completion, or letter from the professor which must include the hours and content" and wasn't sure if any of these extra supplements are required ONLY if our lab didn't have a cadaver.
It’s only if your lab didn’t have a cadaver, I believe.