SJSU over SFSU for cost of living?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adradr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had decided for sure that I would attend SFSU starting in Fall 2006. Now I've changed my mind based on the cost of living difference between San Francisco and San Jose and the logic that the two programs will be essentially equal otherwise, and I think I'll attend SJSU. SFSU has gotten much better press in this forum, though - and I do value this group's collective wisdom. Does anyone think that choosing SJSU is a bad idea? (I'm fine in terms of GPA and research experience and can be self-directed, so I just need classes.)

(Besides, they've been trying to redevelop downtown San Jose for like the last 10 years and haven't gotten their predicted influx of people yet. I could be ahead of the crowd. :))

Thanks so much for your perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

Adradr said:
I had decided for sure that I would attend SFSU starting in Fall 2006. Now I've changed my mind based on the cost of living difference between San Francisco and San Jose and the logic that the two programs will be essentially equal otherwise, and I think I'll attend SJSU. SFSU has gotten much better press in this forum, though - and I do value this group's collective wisdom. Does anyone think that choosing SJSU is a bad idea? (I'm fine in terms of GPA and research experience and can be self-directed, so I just need classes.)

(Besides, they've been trying to redevelop downtown San Jose for like the last 10 years and haven't gotten their predicted influx of people yet. I could be ahead of the crowd. :))

Thanks so much for your perspective.

Well going to any school should depend on happiness rather than prestiege. So since you just need classes, SJSU and SFSU are both perfectly fine schools (in fact any CSU, UC is fine in my book). Quality of education shouldn't be an issue, as these are both accredited universities. Just take upper div classes SJSU. If its any consolation, my aunt did 4-years at SJSU, and got into dental school at UCSF. Although dental isn't med school, its still relatively competative to get into UCSF for dental anyway.