Skipping Chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kramer101

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the AP Chemistry test last year and got a 5. I want to actually take the credit (skip chemistry freshman year and take organic sophomore year). If I periodically review my old textbook (say, a chapter every two weeks), will I lose too much information? Has anyone tried this before?

Members don't see this ad.

If you were pretty good at chemistry (and you probably were since you got a 5) then you'll be fine. I took AP chem junior year in high school and then orgo my freshman year in college and i did fine. And if you're going to review your textbook periodically you'll difninitely be alright.

hlchess said:
If you were pretty good at chemistry (and you probably were since you got a 5) then you'll be fine. I took AP chem junior year in high school and then orgo my freshman year in college and i did fine. And if you're going to review your textbook periodically you'll difninitely be alright.

Are you taking higher-level chemistry classes to fulfill the requirement? I've heard many medical schools don't accept AP Credit.

Kramer101 said:
Are you taking higher-level chemistry classes to fulfill the requirement? I've heard many medical schools don't accept AP Credit.

this is true, i had a problem at a couple of schools because I had AP credit for english and so I skipped it in college.... these schools never sent me a secondary because i "failed to meet the english requirement"

AP credit is great but it can bite you in the ass for med school apps if you use it towards the required pre-reqs like english, chem, physics, bio, etc... it all depends on the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Arsenic810 said:
this is true, i had a problem at a couple of schools because I had AP credit for english and so I skipped it in college.... these schools never sent me a secondary because i "failed to meet the english requirement"

AP credit is great but it can bite you in the ass for med school apps if you use it towards the required pre-reqs like english, chem, physics, bio, etc... it all depends on the school.

That just means taking higher level courses, such as Analytic Chem or PChem instead of basic chem?

Kramer101 said:
That just means taking higher level courses, such as Analytic Chem or PChem instead of basic chem?

yeah, i think most schools would be ok with that. for example, if you got AP credit for freshman english but then took a creative writing class. or if you got credit AP credit for the 2 semesters of gen chem and then took Analytical Chem or Biochem in college on top of organic.

Does anyone know which schools do not accept AP credit? I have credit for AP Physics, and I asked several schools about it, and they all said they accept the AP credit.

In general, if you aren't sure, it's better to take the actual class. Some schools accept the AP credit, some rather you take it at your university.

With regards to gchem, there is VERY little that carries over to ochem. If you understand electronegativity and resonance, you are basically good to go. But as others have been saying, you would be wise to supplement your education with some more advanced chemistry if you are planning on skipping the introductory chemistry since not all schools will take the AP credit.

Mister Pie said:
In general, if you aren't sure, it's better to take the actual class. Some schools accept the AP credit, some rather you take it at your university.

With regards to gchem, there is VERY little that carries over to ochem. If you understand electronegativity and resonance, you are basically good to go. But as others have been saying, you would be wise to supplement your education with some more advanced chemistry if you are planning on skipping the introductory chemistry since not all schools will take the AP credit.

I also got a 5 but took freshman chem. Personally I'd retake It'll be an easy grade and you can treat as a year long review. That way you won't have to worry about not meeting the requirements of a few med schools. I think Harvard doesn't accept AP. So if you're considering applying then choose accordingly.

I want to apply to an early assurance program, and I was just told that AP credit for general chem is accepted, and as long as organic chemistry is completed by the end of sophomore year (when I plan to apply). However, can you take biochem instead of Analytical Chem of PChem and meet the requirement? Or does it depend on the school?

Kramer101 said:
I want to apply to an early assurance program, and I was just told that AP credit for general chem is accepted, and as long as organic chemistry is completed by the end of sophomore year (when I plan to apply). However, can you take biochem instead of Analytical Chem of PChem and meet the requirement? Or does it depend on the school?

Some schools have a separate biochemistry requirement, I believe.