Skipping residency graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does it matter if you go to your residency graduation?

• Yes you should go regardless if you want to or not.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No one cares if you go

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters

finalpsychyear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So our program has this 3 hour graduation ceremony which i have gone a few times during my time here for those graduating. Granted it is in a nice hotel with dinner provider but i truly have no interest going for my own on a Friday night.

There are around 14 total residents,fellows and maybe 7-8 psychology interns graduating. At the same time i have this fear that this will leave a sour taste. Am I concerned over nothing or does this have the potential to create some backlash that i am too naive to consider?

Members don't see this ad.

I also had no interest initially in going to my general psychiatry graduation, but after a year away at Child fellowship I realized how much I missed my friends in the general psych residency that I had been through so much with. I went, and even one of the attendings that I didn't like during residency was super cool and expressed his pride in me and the other residents. I'm so glad I didn't miss it.
For me, it was a lot like graduating high school or college. At the time, before the ceremony, I had little interest in going after seeing others graduate.
Afterward, in retrospect, I'm very glad I went to my own, because I'll never be in that moment again.
It's only 3 hours.

That said, I doubt there will be any backlash or anything, other than possibly weakening your network of contacts a little if you have any good relations with your attendings and fellow residents. It shows class and professionalism to go and smile and get along for just another moment, and you just might be surprised if it turns out well. It goes a long way toward showing you are a team player. If you haven't been happy, everyone likely already knows or suspects that, but will still appreciate a show of class by your attendance in support of your fellow residents.

No backlash--but it's really the highlight of the year for me: a rare time that most of our core faculty are together (and relaxing with a decent amount of wine), a chance to see several alumni, and an opportunity to recognize residents and faculty for all they've done.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you want to go? Aren't you friends with anyone in your residency? For me, a free dinner with friends I'd been through thick and thin with for 4 years is a no-Brainer. And at mine it seemed like I was one of the people who was least into it. I was the only one with no family there, which some people found weird.

(As an aside, I love it when people register on a forum just to post a specific question and choose a username based on their current situation. Though on SDN at least you can change your name if you donate, so you're not doomed to be posting as "finalpsychyear" 20 years into private practice. )