Slave to a GPR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeremy1928

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at 1 GPR program which happens to participate in the Match. I ranked it #1/1. In the past week I have decided I do not want to attend the program for various reasons. However, I just read this on the match website which scares me:

"If you are matched with a program, you must accept the position with which you are matched, as described in the Applicant Agreement that you signed to register for the Match. If you do not accept your Match result, the sponsoring organizations of the Match will review your situation and may impose penalties on you as outlined in the Terms of Applicant Agreement, which may include sanctions, letters of admonishment, reporting your actions to your dental school, and/or other penalties as appropriate."

What if I am matched to this school and don't commit? What is the worst they can do? I would appreciate the input.

JG

Members don't see this ad.

Worst case scenerio: You can't participate in match again...not a big deal if you're going into private practice as a GP.

Thanks; by the way they word it, it sounds like you won't be able to touch a handpiece unless you bend over and and do what they mandate... :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know... I'd be scared spitless over that "letter of admonishment". :laugh:

I know; that's what really made me shat my pants. :D I read somewhere else that my ASDA membership might be revoked. What could be worse than that?

12YearOldKid said:
I don't know... I'd be scared spitless over that "letter of admonishment". :laugh:

If I match to this particular school and turn it down, would this preclude me from enrolling in any of the other of the programs with unfilled positions? Thanks a lot.

I will cut a check of $25 to whoever correctly answers the above stated question.

Jeremy1928 said:
I will cut a check of $25 to whoever correctly answers the above stated question.

Dude, just make sure you're not matched. Call them and tell them you made a mistake, and that they shouldn't even rank you. Say that its a location or money issue to make it nice. They don't care; if anything they'll be happy to hear from you so it simplifies their selection process. I feel like you're thinking waaay too hard about this one. Good luck. :luck:

delicious said:
Dude, just make sure you're not matched. Call them and tell them you made a mistake, and that they shouldn't even rank you. Say that its a location or money issue to make it nice. They don't care; if anything they'll be happy to hear from you so it simplifies their selection process. I feel like you're thinking waaay too hard about this one. Good luck. :luck:

The only downside to doing this though is if you don't get into any other GPR programs. Then, you might be like "oh, damn, I might've gotten into that school that matches." But I don't know much about this: are GPR programs tough to get into (I've heard not), and Jeremy, are you a competetive applicant? From what you said, you don't really want to go to this school, so I would just write them a quicky email telling them you changed your mind and wasn't interested.

PEACE!!! SNOWSTORMER!!! oigh!~

I appreciate the advice, Delicious. Unfortunately, the schools already submitted their results a week ago, and now it is too late to withdraw.

Jeremy1928 said:
I appreciate the advice, Delicious. Unfortunately, the schools already submitted their results a week ago, and now it is too late to withdraw.

Oh, sorry, I didn't know that. Still, really man, I wouldn't worry about this too much. There are programs that match and programs that don't match - I'm sure this has happened before. You may not even match there ( :luck: ) - start thinking about it when the results come in.