Sleep conflict

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaf004

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, first off, I have always been a productive night time individual. I guess procrastinating in college has made me this way, because I would wait till like 5 or 6 PM and then study till like 3 AM and then still do fine. (There were even 2 lab practicals in advanced anatomy that I got a perfect 100 on and I studied till like 4 AM)

But I just signed up for the DAT on the 22nd and its at 8 AM. My last one was at 1 pm and I felt fine for that. I guess I am just looking for advice about how to get on a good sleep schedule now, so when the test gets here I will be fine. I am also worried that starting to get up earlier will hurt my productivity while studying.....

Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Yea you can schedule your test for later in the day like 1 pm, or 3pm, etc. Or the way I fixed my sleep cycle was by going to bed early. I was studying pretty late. I would start at 12-2 pmish and would go til 4 am. And that was awful because I would go to bed when normally it should be (approximately) the time to actually start your day. So, I said I gotta live a normal life. I set my curfew to turn everything off by 12:30-1 am latest. Most of the time its midnight. It took a few days to fix this because its hard to go to bed early. Just make sure you get up early in the morning ~7-8 or even 9 am to fix the cycle. After a few days you will be able to start to fall asleep at the right time and wake up at the right time.

Reactions: 1 user
Try to study around that time if you can. I am by no means a morning person and I had my test at 8AM (only available time.) I didn't necessarily wake up around 7 or whatever to study, I just woke up and studied when I felt mentally prepared. The day of the test I looked over stuff before hand to prep myself and I was already wide awake/nervous from driving and eating before the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea you can schedule your test for later in the day like 1 pm, or 3pm, etc. Or the way I fixed my sleep cycle was by going to bed early. I was studying pretty late. I would start at 12-2 pmish and would go til 4 am. And that was awful because I would go to bed when normally it should be (approximately) the time to actually start your day. So, I said I gotta live a normal life. I set my curfew to turn everything off by 12:30-1 am latest. Most of the time its midnight. It took a few days to fix this because its hard to go to bed early. Just make sure you get up early in the morning ~7-8 or even 9 am to fix the cycle. After a few days you will be able to start to fall asleep at the right time and wake up at the right time.
this is exactly the situation I am in so I will definitely start turning the alarm back slowly. I don't want to change test dates, so I am going to have to get back to a normal schedule

this is exactly the situation I am in so I will definitely start turning the alarm back slowly. I don't want to change test dates, so I am going to have to get back to a normal schedule

There's no doubt in my mind that you'll be awake for the test from all that adrenaline.