Sleep Medicine from Family Medicine residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leukocyte

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are Family Medicine graduates eligible for ALL the accredited Sleep Medicine programs out there? Are they treated differently than Neurology, Psychiatry, or .... applicants? Are they less prefered than those with Neurology, Psychiatry...

If FM docs can get CAQ in Sleep Medicine, why is it not listed as an official fellowship in the AAFM website?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Are Family Medicine graduates eligible for ALL the accredited Sleep Medicine programs out there? Are they treated differently than Neurology, Psychiatry, or .... applicants? Are they less prefered than those with Neurology, Psychiatry...

If FM docs can get CAQ in Sleep Medicine, why is it not listed as an official fellowship in the AAFM website?

Thanks.

they are elgible for all the fellowships, but many of the fellowships, depending on what dept they are based in, prefer a particular specialty. In general, FM grads are less preferred than other applicants.

Medicines are not always good for health. But when they are prescribed by the doctors alone we must intake it. Especially the sleeping medicine are not good for health and if once we use we become addict to these sleeping medicines. So be aware of sleeping medicines.This is my kind advice.

Sreevysh Corp

:thumbdown:nono:

What does this have to do with the thread?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure what the poster was referring to. Pharmacotherapy has its place in sleep disorders.

they are elgible for all the fellowships, but many of the fellowships, depending on what dept they are based in, prefer a particular specialty. In general, FM grads are less preferred than other applicants.

Just getting a feel for things- How do "most" programs prefer applicants based on specialty?

For example:
(Most preferred) Pulmonary = Neurology > Psych > IM = FM

Thanks for your input.

BW

Just getting a feel for things- How do "most" programs prefer applicants based on specialty?

For example:
(Most preferred) Pulmonary = Neurology > Psych > IM = FM

Thanks for your input.

BW

My understanding was this

CC/Pulm>ENT>Neurology>Psych

I wasn't even aware until recently that IM and Family can apply to sleep fellowships directly

I am a FP and fellowship trained in sleep. Very few FP residents are interested in fellowships ... I think you will be valuable in a FP group as you will be a good resource for other FPs.... I hope you enjoy mental health because sleep apnea is not sleep medicine and vice versa because there is psychopathology in varying degrees in many patients with sleep disorders.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope you enjoy mental health because sleep apnea is not sleep medicine and vice versa because there is psychopathology in varying degrees in many patients with sleep disorders.

Many full-time sleep docs will refer the psychopathology out (or back to the referring primary care doc), even if we have a background in psychiatry. I guess the situation would be different if you were doing sleep as part of a primary care group.