SLU med scholars vs.UMKC 6 year program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kuralia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I been selected to SLU med scholars program.I am waiting for UMKC 6 year program.What are your opinions.Economically UNKC is way better.I have 32 on ACT and 3.96 with lots of college credits.What are my chances to UMKC.I was interviewed in Dec.Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

it really depends on what experience you want to go through

do you wanna go thru undergrad with typical undergrad courses and then do medschool... then go for slu. if your pretty much decided on medicine then umkc. also... umkc would be 6 years, if you go the slu route, it would end up being 8 years. it really depends on what you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
patelakshar said:
If you are tottally devoted to medicine, then UMKC is an excellent program.
http://www.umkc.edu/med
If you choose not to go the UMKC route, you need to think about the advantages/disadvantages of the SLU med scholars route. I assume that the program does not allow applicants to apply to other medical schools while in it. What you must weigh is, is it worth not having to apply to med school in 3-4 years, not having to shoot for a near 4.0 or prepare for the MCAT or log EC's to loose the opportunity to apply to other schools. Other schools would provide to opportunity to find a cheaper medical school or a better research school, or one in a better location, etc. If you would want to attend SLU anyway in 4 years, ok, but if not do you really want to lock yourself into that as you will most likely have the ability to get into med schools via the traditional route.

YzIa said:
If you choose not to go the UMKC route, you need to think about the advantages/disadvantages of the SLU med scholars route. I assume that the program does not allow applicants to apply to other medical schools while in it.
I had quite a few friends that went through the program. If you maintain a 3.5 cume, 3.5 science, you're automatically accepted into SLU's medical school. You don't even have to take the MCAT. If you apply anywhere else, you turn down your guaranteed acceptance. However, you can still get accepted to SLU. There are actually a lot of programs like this (most are listed in the MSAR).
YzIa said:
What you must weigh is, is it worth not having to apply to med school in 3-4 years, not having to shoot for a near 4.0 or prepare for the MCAT or log EC's to loose the opportunity to apply to other schools. Other schools would provide to opportunity to find a cheaper medical school or a better research school, or one in a better location, etc. If you would want to attend SLU anyway in 4 years, ok, but if not do you really want to lock yourself into that as you will most likely have the ability to get into med schools via the traditional route.
Well here's what a lot of the SLU Med Scholars do...If some of them are just above a 3.5 cume / 3.5 science, they tend not to apply anywhere else (especially if they take the April MCAT and get around a 27-30). Two of my friends in the program had excellent ECs, high MCATs, and 4.0s. They elected to turn down their guaranteed acceptances and shoot for other med schools. Both got into top med schools. Now these guys were special cases (both were on free-rides at SLU), but the point is you don't have to go into med scholars thinking that you're stuck with SLU. If you have the applicant profile to shoot for other schools that you'd rather go to and you're willing to turn down the guaranteed acceptance to do so, by all means apply elsewhere. Most of the students decide after they see the results of their April MCAT scores. When I was considering the program, you could get any BA or BS degree as long as it was in the College of Arts and Sciences. I don't know if that's still the case. There are required courses for med scholars (beyond the traditional prereqs), but some med scholars pursue all sorts of different areas within the Arts and Sciences.

I know much less about UMKC's program, but I do remember sending for their brochure for the 6-yr BS/MD program (this was a loooong time ago). Actually I think UMKC also has a 6-year dental program too (can't remember). But I digress. I had some friends from Kansas City high schools (Rockhurst I think) that were considering the program. They said that even though the program is supposed to be 6 years, many of the students end up stretching it out longer (7-8). However, I can't corroborate that. You also have to spend a summer or two taking classes if you're in the six year program, don't you? That's what I remember, but I could be wrong. Like I said, this was many years ago when I looked at this stuff. And yes, if you're a Missouri resident, UMKC would be much, MUCH cheaper than SLU.

I've got nothing against combined BS/MD programs, but I couldn't imagine doing an accelerated program (6-7 yrs). It works out for many I'm sure, but it wouldn't be for me. College is too much fun to rush through, in my opinion.

thanks for the quick replies and for all of the help guys :)