SLU vs. Long SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CashBag

Reaction score
Hi all! I am seeking assistance in breaking down my decision between 2 seemingly similar schools. Some background: Most of my family lives relatively close to St. Louis and my brother is planning on moving to St. Louis in January. I am interested in pursuing a competitive specialty. I am also a huge warm-weather fan.

SLU
Pros:
- Could live with my brother and see family more easily
- Have friends who will be incoming MS1s as well
- Perfect curriculum for me (1.5 year pre-clinical, Pass/Fail)
- Nice facilities overall
- Access to undergrad gym/facilities
- Solid match list
- Faculty seem friendly and eager to help

Cons:
- Not a warm weather location, can be very cold, rainy, windy, etc.
- Could be much more expensive than Long, depending on financial aid
- Arguably not as exciting of a location

Long SOM
Pros:
- Love the weather and the vibe of Texas in general
- Will be receiving Texas in-state tuition which is very cheap
- Faculty and students seem super friendly and overall good vibes from the school
- Solid match list
- Access to med student gym
- Nice facilities overall
- 20-month preclinical curriculum
- Dead weeks before exams during M1 to allow for studying
- More prestigious?? (I genuinely don't know)

Cons:
- Far from friends and family
- Not a Pass/Fail curriculum (don't know how impactful this would really be but I always hear students rave about P/F curriculums)
- May face a language barrier as I do not currently speak Spanish

Thank you all for any advice or assistance!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought St. Louis University SOM has 2 years of preclinical and is only pass/fail for preclinical?
Their MSAR page has it listed as an 18-month preclinical and yes, correct the clinical phase is graded as honors, near-honors, pass, fail. I was under the impression most schools have some sort of grading scheme during the clinical phase but I may be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are both really good schools but I would probably go with Long based on the tuition difference. Although if you highly value being near family and friends SLU is a great option too.

Reactions: 1 user
Hard to justify spending close to three times more to go to SLU. Based on your pros/cons list Long seems like a better fit.

Reactions: 1 users
Their website says 2, as does the MSAR. Can you cite where it says 1.5?
I think I see what you are talking about on MSAR, but if you look under the "Education & Research" tab on MSAR where it says "About the Curriculum" it reads:
"Our pre-clerkship experience uses an active learning-based curriculum rooted in instructional methods that includes team-based learning, peer instruction, simulation, and other small-group active learning. The content is delivered over 18 months through organ-based module systems, where students receive all normal structure and function before moving to abnormal pathology. Prior to entering the clerkship curriculum in January of Year 2....."

Reactions: 1 user