Smart Gun is Here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

What do you think of this high tech gun? It's $1500 but comes with a laser and a light. Is this something for people with kids or those who are afraid of dangerous pistols in their homes?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
But what’s ultimately concerning is the looming threat that politicians may advocate for the mandatory adoption of smart guns at the expense of traditional firearms. This is a scenario that no 2A advocate would welcome, whether they’re pro or anti-smart gun.

Smart guns don’t sell well because for many people a gun is insurance against an unlikely home invasion. So even if the gun is unlikely to malfunction in that key moment, that risk is unacceptable. They also don’t sell well to people that think they’ll need to have a gun to defend against government tyranny for obvious reasons.

It’s a cool idea from a technology standpoint, but in practice it seems gun owners aren’t and won’t come around to them.

Reactions: 1 user
Smart guns don’t sell well because for many people a gun is insurance against an unlikely home invasion. So even if the gun is unlikely to malfunction in that key moment, that risk is unacceptable. They also don’t sell well to people that think they’ll need to have a gun to defend against government tyranny for obvious reasons.

It’s a cool idea from a technology standpoint, but in practice it seems gun owners aren’t and won’t come around to them.
I don't know when it will occur but I suspect more firearms will offer smart technology. I keep a simple 5 shot revolver readily available but a gun with "smart tech" seems like a good home defense weapon for those with children.

I don't know when it will occur but I suspect more firearms will offer smart technology. I keep a simple 5 shot revolver readily available but a gun with "smart tech" seems like a good home defense weapon for those with children.
Until your Wi-Fi connection is down and the gun doesn't activate. 🤣

Or this will become like drone technology where you need to inputs FAA clearance codes to let your drone fly, otherwise it won't

Brian Brinkley is a good example of what can happen when Biden’s zero-tolerance policy pushes ATF agents into revoking the licenses of small retailers. Brinkley, owner of SCB Guns and Ammo in Thomasville, N.C., recently had his license revoked over an infraction that he firmly believes would have previously been handled by an agent simply suggesting how to fix the situation and warning him to not make the same error again.

“Basically, I got screwed over by zero tolerance,” Brinkley told America’s 1st Freedom. “They took my license, my Class III, everything.

“I’ve built this business for 15 years now, and they basically ripped it out from me for one thing. I don’t know what I’m going to do. I’m going to have to figure out how to make money because I’ve still got bills to pay.”

Brinkley said he’s sure that the actions taken against him would have been much different if it had occurred before the president’s policy change.

“I will tell you, behind the scenes, the FFL-to-ATF relationship is strained.”—Tyler Oberley

“There is no doubt this all came from Biden’s zero-tolerance policy,” he said. “They’re closing down every FFL they can. He’s saying, ‘If I can’t keep you from buying guns, I’ll keep them from selling you guns.’

“I’ve never sold a gun to a person who shouldn’t have it. I’ve never lost a gun. But they can walk in and say, ‘Zero tolerance. That’s it, you’re done.’”

It's idiotic.

There isn't a police or military or other government agency on the planet that would consider using these things for even a second. If it's not reliable enough for them, don't listen to arguments that it's reliable enough for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Brian Brinkley is a good example of what can happen when Biden’s zero-tolerance policy pushes ATF agents into revoking the licenses of small retailers. Brinkley, owner of SCB Guns and Ammo in Thomasville, N.C., recently had his license revoked over an infraction that he firmly believes would have previously been handled by an agent simply suggesting how to fix the situation and warning him to not make the same error again.

“Basically, I got screwed over by zero tolerance,” Brinkley told America’s 1st Freedom. “They took my license, my Class III, everything.

“I’ve built this business for 15 years now, and they basically ripped it out from me for one thing. I don’t know what I’m going to do. I’m going to have to figure out how to make money because I’ve still got bills to pay.”

Brinkley said he’s sure that the actions taken against him would have been much different if it had occurred before the president’s policy change.

“I will tell you, behind the scenes, the FFL-to-ATF relationship is strained.”—Tyler Oberley

“There is no doubt this all came from Biden’s zero-tolerance policy,” he said. “They’re closing down every FFL they can. He’s saying, ‘If I can’t keep you from buying guns, I’ll keep them from selling you guns.’

“I’ve never sold a gun to a person who shouldn’t have it. I’ve never lost a gun. But they can walk in and say, ‘Zero tolerance. That’s it, you’re done.’”

Why is a zero tolerance policy necessarily bad when it comes to handling/selling guns? If I'm at the range and somebody points their gun at me you better believe I hope that range has a zero tolerance policy. I share a similar view if they sell to someone the government has a reasonable suspicion will commit a future crime. (I think red flag laws and similar prohibitions are probably saving lives.)

It's tough to find exact research on this, but from what I've seen it doesn't seem like mom and pop gun stores are suffering under Biden. There might be a slight (<5%) decrease in FFL type 1 or 2 licenses, but that could potentially be offset by an increase in 3-8 licenses? I'm not sure. In any case, here is some research that claims FFL licenses have increased between 2015 and 2022 by about 5%.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is a zero tolerance policy necessarily bad when it comes to handling/selling guns? If I'm at the range and somebody points their gun at me you better believe I hope that range has a zero tolerance policy. I share a similar view if they sell to someone the government has a reasonable suspicion will commit a future crime. (I think red flag laws and similar prohibitions are probably saving lives.)

It's tough to find exact research on this, but from what I've seen it doesn't seem like mom and pop gun stores are suffering under Biden. There might be a slight (<5%) decrease in FFL type 1 or 2 licenses, but that could potentially be offset by an increase in 3-8 licenses? I'm not sure. In any case, here is some research that claims FFL licenses have increased between 2015 and 2022 by about 5%.

Most likely used for a firearm purchase is a type 1 and 2, which include “mom and pop” stores.

Most other FFL types deal with manufacturing or importing.

It’s also pretty easy to find research. Twice as money ffls inspected last year, 500% increase in revocation.

Last edited:
Might prevent some accidental shootings so that is progress but the Jacksonville shooter could have bought this gun and gone to town. Young American men in particular have proven themselves to be incapable of handling firearms. They are too immature, emotional, and unstable. Ramaswamy wants to raise the voting age to 25. Maybe women should be allowed to purchase firearms at age 21 but men need to wait until 25-30.

Last edited:
Here is my answer to those who don't recognize the second amendment:

It’s a good song and he’s very talented, thoughtful, and real. But I like folk and Americana. The dobro and the dogs are nice too.

“It was funny seeing my song at that presidential debate. Because I wrote that song about those people, you know, so for them to have to sit there and listen to that, that cracks me up. It was funny kind of seeing the response to it,” the Virginian said in a statement on Friday.”

Last edited:
Most likely used for a firearm purchase is a type 1 and 2, which include “mom and pop” stores.

Most other FFL types deal with manufacturing or importing.

It’s also pretty easy to find research. Twice as money ffls inspected last year, 500% increase in revocation.

I meant its more challenging than I thought to track the total number of FFL licenses over time across all license type. It would be interesting to see if that number had increased or decreased over time during the Biden admin. If it increased, or even decreased by 5%, should we really care? If you have a good source for that, please share.

Your 500% increase is literally 93 shops out of >50,000... c'mon man. They revoked more licenses in 2006 than in 2022.

I have no problems with the laws as written being applied, do you?

Last edited:
I meant its more challenging than I thought to track the total number of FFL licenses over time across all license type. It would be interesting to see if that number had increased or decreased over time during the Biden admin. If it increased, or even decreased by 5%, should we really care? If you have a good source for that, please share.

Your 500% increase is literally 93 shops out of >50,000... c'mon man. They revoked more licenses in 2006 than in 2022.

I have no problems with the laws as written being applied, do you?

As of 2022, there are roughly 130,000 total active FFLs. Data goes back as far as 1975 and peaked in 1992 at over 280,000, when dealers accounted for almost 90%. That number is currently around 40%

So yes, regardless of your stance it is more than fair to say there has been a steady decline over time. Cause debatable.

The atf has a searchable database for all FFLs by state.

A 500 percent increase is a 500 percent increase. Especially considering many of these are small business owners and almost all of them are trying to do the right thing

Maybe we shouldn’t care about any of the above. What I DO STRONGLY care about are the laws being applied AS WRITTEN.

I do give dems kudos for finding unique ways to achieve their agenda, but pushing the rule making capacity of the ATF to the max is likely going to come back to bite them. See MOCK v GARLAND, VANDERSTOK v GARLAND, and get your popcorn ready for the challenge to the Chevron deference later this year.

A 500 percent increase is a 500 percent increase.

I dont want you as my epidemiologist. I would be ok with a 500% increase from 100 to 500, not a 500% increase from 10000 to 50000. Don't be disingenuous.

I would venture to say the Trump admin was underenforcing.

Edit: thanks for the source though!

Last edited:
I dont want you as my epidemiologist. I would be ok with a 500% increase from 100 to 500, not a 500% increase from 10000 to 50000. Don't be disingenuous.

I would venture to say the Trump admin was underenforcing.
Meh, numbers are numbers and depends on the study. I personally would be more concerned in say a drug that had a 500% increase in reaction resulting in death (rare event) in a statistically significant larger sample size Than an drug that has a 500% increase in a clinically insignificant effect in a smaller sample size. Unless you are arguing the 93 isn’t statistically significant? Or, I guess the effect doesn’t matter?

Again, went from a may revoke to a shall revoke policy effecting many small business owners trying to do the right thing for essentially not dotting the right “I” on a piece of paper. These weren’t criminals arming the cartels.

Then the Obama administration was too? the only difference seems to be the zero tolerance policy. I gave several other instances via law cases where that appears to be the MO of the Biden policy utilization is the rule making capacity of the ATF. Which, again A effort, but might backfire hugely.

Last edited:
Unless you are arguing the 93 isn’t statistically significant

That's exactly what I'm arguing when the total number of potential gun shops is >50k and the previous number of licenses revoked was around 20.

essentially not dotting the right “I” on a piece of paper

Bold claim. I don't know why the majority of licenses were revoked and I suspect you don't either. If they were in any way selling to someone they legally shouldn't have been, then I'm 100% fine with revoking.

Then the Obama administration was too? the only difference seems to be the zero tolerance policy. I gave several other instances via law cases where that appears to be the MO of the Biden policy utilization is the rule making capacity of the ATF. Which, again A effort, but might backfire hugely.

Sure. Obama administration wasn't perfect. Could have been underenforcing too.

Edit: You want to point out that with the current SCOTUS in place the administrative state will be weakened. I agree, that's been a long time conservative goal. I just hope we see that turned around eventually either through congressional action enshrining something akin to Chevron or SCOTUS reform. All of Alito and Thomas' extravagant gifts and vacations are hurting the brand, SCOTUS reform is gaining ground in public consciousness if you look at the polling.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I'm arguing when the total number of potential gun shops is >50k and the previous number of licenses revoked was around 20.

Bold claim. I don't know why the majority of licenses were revoked and I suspect you don't either. If they were in any way selling to someone they legally shouldn't have been, then I'm 100% fine with revoking.

Sure. Obama administration wasn't perfect. Could have been underenforcing too.
Still not sure what you are saying. The 20 to 90 isn’t significant? That is a huge increase in a “rare event” despite the sample size. Do we agree is likely do to the Biden administration increased emphasis on FFL compliance or is it just by chance?

The top reasons for the ATF to cite are clerical errors. Straight from ATF website.

Oh and this doesn’t sound vindictive at all. revoked for “clerical errors” and selling a firearm to Georgia residents who could legally own a firearm in either state, but FFL made a mistake and didn’t follow proper procedure. You are for 100 percent revoking in a case like this?

Dream on SCOTUS is untouchable because congress is broken, probably forever since the Constitution can't be amended. The american fascist party loves the idea of 6 robed high priests dictating the law of the land.

This whole thread is nonsense--what cable news channel ran the piece that spawned this fear mongering gibberish? The article posted earlier drumming up terror tactics of FFLs being closed en masse is comical--one of the most biased pieces I have read in a long time. The sob story of the mom and pop FFL losing his license--what "small infraction" caused him to lose its license? We dont know because facts like that are apparently not relevant. Can we find someone who wasn't able to buy a gun because there was no FFL nearby anymore? No?

Why should be tolerating any errors when it comes to selling firearms again? If you want to run a FFL why would it not be a requirement to follow laws?

The sob story of the mom and pop FFL losing his license--what "small infraction" caused him to lose its license? We dont know because facts like that are apparently not relevant.
I have about as dim a view of the ATF as it's possible for a person to have. The manner in which they've operated in recent years, bizarrely reinterpreting the law to redefine what guns are, to do an end-run around Congress to regulate "ghost guns" or stupid toys like bump stocks, is plainly wrong.

But I'm going to have to agree here and guess that this Brinkley character was actually negligent and not just innocently mistaken. Else we'd be hearing the details of the ATF's complaint yelled from the mountaintops. Instead he's vague about how he figured he should've been given a mulligan on the "infraction" they nailed him on. It smells of a guy who knew he was doing wrong, and thinks others will be less sympathetic to his protest if they knew what he was doing wrong.

Reactions: 1 users
Still not sure what you are saying. The 20 to 90 isn’t significant? That is a huge increase in a “rare event” despite the sample size. Do we agree is likely do to the Biden administration increased emphasis on FFL compliance or is it just by chance?

The top reasons for the ATF to cite are clerical errors. Straight from ATF website.

Yes. The 20 to 90 is insignificant when compared to the roughly 7000 inspections per your source and the over 50000 total FFL license holders. That small increase could be due to the Biden administration's policy, AND that could be a good thing.

I'm going to assume you're not being disingenuous, but the source you cited showed clerical errors as the most common reason for an inspection. It doesn't show what the most common reason for license revocation was (at least that's my reading). In any case, a "clerical error" can be the difference between a criminal (or red flag individual) from getting a gun and not getting a gun which as I said was absolutely grounds for revoking someone's license.

Oh and this doesn’t sound vindictive at all. revoked for “clerical errors” and selling a firearm to Georgia residents who could legally own a firearm in either state, but FFL made a mistake and didn’t follow proper procedure. You are for 100 percent revoking in a case like this?

Could be vindictive. Would wait to see it play out in court. I don't trust "Buckeye Firearms Association" as a legitimate unbiased news source. Doesn't look like the NRA guy who wrote this even bothered getting the ATF's stance.

Yes. The 20 to 90 is insignificant when compared to the roughly 7000 inspections per your source and the over 50000 total FFL license holders. That small increase could be due to the Biden administration's policy, AND that could be a good thing.

I'm going to assume you're not being disingenuous, but the source you cited showed clerical errors as the most common reason for an inspection. It doesn't show what the most common reason for license revocation was (at least that's my reading). In any case, a "clerical error" can be the difference between a criminal (or red flag individual) from getting a gun and not getting a gun which as I said was absolutely grounds for revoking someone's license.

Could be vindictive. Would wait to see it play out in court. I don't trust "Buckeye Firearms Association" as a legitimate unbiased news source. Doesn't look like the NRA guy who wrote this even bothered getting the ATF's stance.
I actually do agree with you that it could be a good thing… assuming the ATF is going after only the bad actors. Certainly some of these guys are intentionally operating illegally.

BUT, it’s hard to read about the above case (even if its from the Redneck Gun Times), and having followed closely what I perceive to be the overreach of the ATF in the Biden administration, to not be skeptical its all a long game, multipronged, surgical attack on the 2nd amendment. Target everything and chip away at it overtime by completely bypassing the lawmaking body of government.

Target everything and chip away at it overtime by completely bypassing the lawmaking body of government.

This isn't an area of news I follow regularly, but I hardly think increasing the number of FFL revocations from 20 to 90 is bypassing the lawmaking body of government. But you could be referring to things I'm not aware of.

Biden was elected (in part) to address concerns that a majority of the public had on public safety. I'm glad he's doing so as far as I can tell within the realm of the law. I don't think every FFL holder deserves a warning instead of just losing their license. The ATF has a great deal of discretion to operate and I'm largely ok with that.