Smart phones and tablets/Ipads for medical school???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedGrl@2022

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do current medical students recommend for medical school? Should I invest $200 in iPhone 5S with 16GB (or other smart phone) or stick with my current iPhone 4 with 8GB (it does run out of space but I could probably delete the music and pictures) or upgrade to an iPhone 4S with 8GB for free? I imagine that I would be using my iPhone for all the necessary medical school apps, like Netter's flashcards and I am not sure what else. I imagine that I will keep that phone all 4 years of medical school unless there is a free upgrade. I don't want to spend money unnecessarily, especially in medical school.

Also, my medical school requires that we purchase a certain laptop but should I also invest in an iPad or tablet for studying? If so, what do you recommend?

Thank you for all your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an undergraduate now and while I love my iPad for studying, I know a lot of people who haven't found it to be as useful in their workflow. What I might suggest is buying one ~1-2 weeks before medical school, taking a few days to get used to it and configure it to your preferences, and then returning it within the 30-day window if you find that it doesn't work so well for your study habits.

I should also add - it's fairly common that the iOS app store has a stronger offering of medical applications than Google's .. If you're planning to make use of your phone for EHR use and the like during clinicals, consider that?

Reactions: 1 user
You should upgrade to the one that has Siri so that she could use the search function for you as you are clearly too lazy and decided that a question that has already been discussed deserves a new thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should upgrade to the one that has Siri so that she could use the search function for you as you are clearly too lazy and decided that a question that has already been discussed deserves a new thread.
A little harshly put... But lol

OP: search the forums, there are a ton of threads on the subject.

I am curious if the 16GB for a phone is overkill and worth the $200 or if staying with or upgrading to a free 8GB older model for 4-8 years is worth it. What do people think for medical school/life purposes? I don't typically download a lot or any music (I have one music CD downloaded and EK Audio Osmosis which I expect to delete). I take pictures but I can always upload those to my laptops. I am concerned mostly about having enough room for all the medical school apps, like Netter's flashcards and whatever else is helpful/necessary. My iPhone contents are pretty boring. I have GPS, Facebook, and the predownloaded apps that come with your phone. I don't download games or any unnecessary apps to avoid becoming addicted and wasting my time.

Currently my iPhone memory is almost maxed out, but I anticipate having some more room once I remove EK Audio Osmosis and my photos.

So is it worth it to get a newer model for $200 or maybe I could wait a bit after medical school and purchase a iPhone 5S (either 8 or 16GB) when the iPhone 6 comes out, I expect the price would be a lot less?

Sorry for creating another thread about this. I know there are tons.

Thanks again!