smdep pre-dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UOP123321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellas, I'm planning to apply to SMDEP for the dental one i have couples of questions, and hope someone helps me.

I know i need to write two essays one about diversity, and another one is a personal statement. I don't understand, which topic should i wrote about can someone explain to me more about both of them, and how can i start the essay, and what the admission commit want to see when you read your essay. And how many characters for each essay

i'm still an incoming freshman, and my professor only know my name, but no one know me personalty. How can i ask them for a letter of recommendation ?

and which programs should i apply to. I mean i know university of Washington dental school is in-state school, so if i apply my chances will be slim to none as i'm not WA resident ? am i right ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi fellas, I'm planning to apply to SMDEP for the dental one i have couples of questions, and hope someone helps me.

I know i need to write two essays one about diversity, and another one is a personal statement. I don't understand, which topic should i wrote about can someone explain to me more about both of them, and how can i start the essay, and what the admission commit want to see when you read your essay. And how many characters for each essay

i'm still an incoming freshman, and my professor only know my name, but no one know me personalty. How can i ask them for a letter of recommendation ?

and which programs should i apply to. I mean i know university of Washington dental school is in-state school, so if i apply my chances will be slim to none as i'm not WA resident ? am i right ?

Can't attest to SMDEP as I have never done it, but personal statements are generally 3500-5000 characters long. Admission committees want to see REAL snippets about your life, your reason for pursuing dentistry, your interest in it, your goals, etc. Don't try to sugarcoat anything, just be yourself in that essay. Maybe if you experienced any struggles in your life, add that, but it isn't necessary and only really fitting if it has to do with your motivations for going into dentistry. The one about diversity, I honestly have no idea about, so I can't help you there.

To get professors to know you better, it's usually best to go to their office hours if they're not very busy. Talk to them generally about the class, what you like about it, things you need help on in the class, etc.

Just apply to as many dental schools as you see fit. Don't apply if you don't like the school. Do some shadowing (~100 hours is a good number, higher than that is better for your app, shows them you really like dentistry and won't bail on them during dental school, making them lose potential tuition from you. Maybe if you are interested in research (biomedical or something like that, heck, even psychology research) try to talk to professors who deal with that type of research, express your interest, they might ask you to come in for a small talk and you might get a research assistant position if you are interested in that type of research.

About applying to schools, general rule is:

If it's a state school, they will generally favor people who live in that state.
If it's a private school, they don't care if you're in their state or not, they will choose the best people.