SMP-friendly and -nonfriendly medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureSurgical

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I will be applying next cycle to MD and SMP schools, I was wondering, if I do go the SMP route, what schools like to see that I am reinventing myself by taking med school courses alongside medical students and taking the same exams (like U Cincinnati). Lets assume I make a 4.0 in an SMP program. Would it also be easier if I just ask which medical schools don't see SMPs as a good enough determinant to being ready for medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Some suggestions: if you apply the year after the an SMP program, Wayne State will use your SMP GPA as your science GPA. Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine seems to take a lot of SMP students. I've heard that University of Kentucky takes a lot of nontraditional students, although I'm not sure if SMP students are the kind of nontrads that they want.

It kind of depends on which SMP you're in, though.

Reactions: 1 users
truthfully, nothing beats your home institution.

I would say focus on your state school and then lower ranked/unranked private schools when making your school list to apply. Also depends on the reputation of the SMP. For instance, my state medical school favors Georgetown SMPers since it is well known to be a challenging program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
+1 to your home institution

We take like 5-10 of our SMP students every year. We also see a lot of Drexel and Georgetown kids at our school - it's mostly a geography thing I think. Going to an SMP in the mid-Atlantic helps you in that area, as does if you want to go to school in the north-east I'm sure the Boston area helps you.

+1 to your home institution

We take like 5-10 of our SMP students every year. We also see a lot of Drexel and Georgetown kids at our school - it's mostly a geography thing I think. Going to an SMP in the mid-Atlantic helps you in that area, as does if you want to go to school in the north-east I'm sure the Boston area helps you.
H
Hmmm you mind if I ask what school is this?

A person who has completed an SMP should include their state schools and every school that has an SMP.

Reactions: 1 user
Per UM website:

"My cumulative GPA is only 3.0. Is there still a chance I can get a secondary application from the Miller School of Medicine?
Yes, if you have subsequently completed a post-bac or graduate work (at least 15 credits of either must appear on your AMCAS application) and have a GPA of at least 3.5. Post-bac and graduate work is not considered when sending secondary applications to non-Floridians."

Why does UM not consider graduate work for non-Floridians? Do other private schools do this?

Per UM website:

"My cumulative GPA is only 3.0. Is there still a chance I can get a secondary application from the Miller School of Medicine?
Yes, if you have subsequently completed a post-bac or graduate work (at least 15 credits of either must appear on your AMCAS application) and have a GPA of at least 3.5. Post-bac and graduate work is not considered when sending secondary applications to non-Floridians."

Why does UM not consider graduate work for non-Floridians? Do other private schools do this?
I think it's a state funding thing. Unless Miami is private (I'm really not sure,) they depend a lot on state funding and about every state (unless you're on the east or west coast, or Texas) you need your state schools to have about 90% of the students to stay in the state post graduation. I heard this from an ADCOM a few weeks ago when I asked about this sort of thing. However, these state schools will also help you get residency if you show you've been living there for a year at least, have voter registration, pay taxes for the state, etc. If you go the SMP route (like I will in a year after I save money,) you will be in the state for at least two years anyway. Thus, it won't be too hard or nerve wracking to get residency.

My $0.02 and my understanding on the subject.

I think it's a state funding thing. Unless Miami is private (I'm really not sure,) they depend a lot on state funding and about every state (unless you're on the east or west coast, or Texas) you need your state schools to have about 90% of the students to stay in the state post graduation. I heard this from an ADCOM a few weeks ago when I asked about this sort of thing. However, these state schools will also help you get residency if you show you've been living there for a year at least, have voter registration, pay taxes for the state, etc. If you go the SMP route (like I will in a year after I save money,) you will be in the state for at least two years anyway. Thus, it won't be too hard or nerve wracking to get residency.

My $0.02 and my understanding on the subject.

The thing is that UM is private! I would understand if UM were to be a state school, but it's not.

Miami gets substantial funding from the state to turn the kids of Floridian taxpayers into doctors.

Baylor's the same in TX.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Per UM website:

Also, where did you find this quote?

Miami gets substantial funding from the state to turn the kids of Floridian taxpayers into doctors.

Baylor's the same in TX.

Per UM website:

Is preference given to residents of the State of Florida?
We no longer give preference to Florida residents because the Miller School of Medicine is a private medical school and we no longer receive funding from the State of Florida legislature.

You can't go by their websites all the time. Fortunately for southern applicants, the southern states are very in state friendly in regards to churning out doctors from their home state. So I would be careful applying to places like florida or texas because they are know to love only their own

truthfully, nothing beats your home institution.

I would say focus on your state school and then lower ranked/unranked private schools when making your school list to apply. Also depends on the reputation of the SMP. For instance, my state medical school favors Georgetown SMPers since it is well known to be a challenging program.

Just wondering, which state are you from?