SMP Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future psychiatrist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in going through a SMP, but i'm not quite sure how GPA for those admissions work. I plan on retaking classes soon, when graduate schools look at your GPA do they take into account these retakes as a replacement like DO schools or do they average it out like MD schools? Does it vary between SMP programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in going through a SMP, but i'm not quite sure how GPA for those admissions work. I plan on retaking classes soon, when graduate schools look at your GPA do they take into account these retakes as a replacement like DO schools or do they average it out like MD schools? Does it vary between SMP programs?

It depends on the program. Some schools will ask for the gpa that your school lists you as graduating with (which presumably accounts for grade replacements per your school's policy). Most programs that I applied to averaged retakes, though. But, SMP's know why you are applying to the program, and whether they do grade replacement or not for their own admission process, they will definitely value an upward trend or academic turnaround very highly.

Reactions: 1 user
I know that all the MD SMPs that I applied to averaged grades just like AMCAS. DO SMPs might do grade replacement, but youll have to do your research on that.