SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kendrick lamar

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently graduated pharmacy school and am looking into possibly applying to medical school maybe in 3-4 years (I need more shadowing and time to clearly decide if medicine is right for me or not). Unfortunately, I graduated with a considerably low GPA (I wasn't lazy, but I was losing a lot of focus and motivation secondary to burning out/becoming progressively disinterested with pharmacy practice). That's why I would like to take a 3-4 year gap to work, shadow/volunteer and evaluate whether medical school is right for me or not. After calculating my GPA, I had a 3.5 cumulative from 2 years of undergrad, 3.34 science GPA, with introductory biology, calculus credits not included as they were transferred from AP courses. I also have yet to take physics courses. My cumulative GPA at the end of the six year pharmacy program was a 3.25.

If say I intend to apply to medical school in a few years (leaning towards MD but considering DO as well), would an SMP be the most beneficial option in my case? Any insights from non-trads, preferably those who applied to med school in 27+ age range would be helpful to hear as well (I would be 27-28 when I think I would feel like a good applicant for medical school.)

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
SMP wouldn't make sense because you need to complete your pre-reqs (assuming you decide medicine is for you).

I'd recommend shadowing/clinical volunteering to figure out if being a physician is what you really want, then enrolling in a roll-your-own post-bacc at a 4-year university where you can take the required coursework (bio, physics, inorganic chem, ochem, English, +/- biochem, sociology). AP courses do not count.

If you get A's in the courses you lack, your GPA should come up to ~3.5 which would save you the time/money/risk of a SMP. Along with a good MCAT score, you'd be ready to apply.

As far as being 27: don't sweat it. I was in a similar spot and while you'll be a little older than the average MS1, you certainly won't be the odd man (or woman) out. There will almost certainly be someone older than you in your class.