SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kendrick lamar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated pharmacy school and am looking into possibly applying to medical school maybe in 3-4 years (I need more shadowing and time to clearly decide if medicine is right for me or not). Unfortunately, I graduated with a considerably low GPA (I wasn't lazy, but I was losing a lot of focus and motivation secondary to burning out/becoming progressively disinterested with pharmacy practice). That's why I would like to take a 3-4 year gap to work, shadow/volunteer and evaluate whether medical school is right for me or not. After calculating my GPA, I had a 3.5 cumulative from 2 years of undergrad, 3.34 science GPA, with introductory biology, calculus credits not included as they were transferred from AP courses. I also have yet to take physics courses. My cumulative GPA at the end of the six year pharmacy program was a 3.25.

If say I intend to apply to medical school in a few years (leaning towards MD but considering DO as well), would an SMP be the most beneficial option in my case? Any insights from non-trads, preferably those who applied to med school in 27+ age range would be helpful to hear as well (I would be 27-28 when I think I would feel like a good applicant for medical school.)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
SMP wouldn't make sense because you need to complete your pre-reqs (assuming you decide medicine is for you).

I'd recommend shadowing/clinical volunteering to figure out if being a physician is what you really want, then enrolling in a roll-your-own post-bacc at a 4-year university where you can take the required coursework (bio, physics, inorganic chem, ochem, English, +/- biochem, sociology). AP courses do not count.

If you get A's in the courses you lack, your GPA should come up to ~3.5 which would save you the time/money/risk of a SMP. Along with a good MCAT score, you'd be ready to apply.

As far as being 27: don't sweat it. I was in a similar spot and while you'll be a little older than the average MS1, you certainly won't be the odd man (or woman) out. There will almost certainly be someone older than you in your class.