SMP's take B's, C's, D's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedChic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading up on SMP's and they sound pretty darn good to me right now. To any or all who have applied:

Did you happen to have less then stellar grades in your sciences, such as B-'s or C's in particular?

Also, how the heck does this application cycle work? Apparently in the Gtown program you can get into med school after the first semester and then matriculate the following year. Does this mean you apply to med schools at the same time you apply to SMP's....so what if you get rejections? Does the SMP then send a letter to the schools that rejected you to reconsider? Or do you apply to med schools after the SMP?

Do all SMP's take MCAT and GRE scores?

Thanks to those who replied to my first post also.

Members don't see this ad.

MedChic,

I am currently at the G-town SMP and will try to answer your questions as far as our program is concerned.

You asked about less than stellar grades. I can't speak for certainty about what the adcom here would and wouldn't take, but I can share my experience and what I have seen. I graduated with a 2.95 - and that included many C's, several D's and even a couple F's.

The important thing to my application was that I did a post-bac after that where I showed definitively that I was a good student (3.9) and had an MCAT score that demonstrated that I was better than my GPA indicated.

Ultimately, this is what the adcom is trying to figure out with each application: 1. Is this student someone who would be successful in med school despite whatever flaw their application has. 2. Would this person, because of a year in our program, be able to successfully apply to a medical school. If the answer to both questions is yes, they will take that student, regardless of grades.

The application cycle is pretty straightforward. For instance, I am currently enrolled. I applied for this program in January of 2005. I was accepted in February. In July, 2005, I did my AMCAS. I started getting secondaries in early August and filled them out as quickly as I could. Middle August I started the program. God-willing, I will be accepted somewhere during this interview cycle and will begin medical school a couple months after completing this program (Aug, 2006.)

If you get rejected from a medical school (as I have already had happen.) That is *usually* it. Very few schools will reconsider once they have turned someone down. Normally, you would need to know someone on the board who has a LOT of influence, or have a relative who would be able to donate a sizeable building on your behalf. This year, many of us who applied to Georgetown medical school for next year were turned down by mistake (we are not supposed to have our files looked at until well into next semester, so they can see our SMP performance.) Dr. Myers, Mulroney and Sherman explained the situation to the adcom for G-town med and they relented. This, however, was a very special situation.

I can't speak for other SMP's, but I know ours will consider GRE's in lieu of MCAT's. However, since you need the MCAT for your med school application anyway, and since it is exceedingly difficult to take the MCAT while trying to also do this program, your best bet is to go ahead and take the MCAT before you apply here, if it is at all possible.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any other questions you have.

MedChic said:
I have been reading up on SMP's and they sound pretty darn good to me right now. To any or all who have applied:

Did you happen to have less then stellar grades in your sciences, such as B-'s or C's in particular?

Also, how the heck does this application cycle work? Apparently in the Gtown program you can get into med school after the first semester and then matriculate the following year. Does this mean you apply to med schools at the same time you apply to SMP's....so what if you get rejections? Does the SMP then send a letter to the schools that rejected you to reconsider? Or do you apply to med schools after the SMP?

imrep1972 said:
MedChic,

I am currently at the G-town SMP and will try to answer your questions as far as our program is concerned.

You asked about less than stellar grades. I can't speak for certainty about what the adcom here would and wouldn't take, but I can share my experience and what I have seen. I graduated with a 2.95 - and that included many C's, several D's and even a couple F's.

The important thing to my application was that I did a post-bac after that where I showed definitively that I was a good student (3.9) and had an MCAT score that demonstrated that I was better than my GPA indicated.

Ultimately, this is what the adcom is trying to figure out with each application: 1. Is this student someone who would be successful in med school despite whatever flaw their application has. 2. Would this person, because of a year in our program, be able to successfully apply to a medical school. If the answer to both questions is yes, they will take that student, regardless of grades.

The application cycle is pretty straightforward. For instance, I am currently enrolled. I applied for this program in January of 2005. I was accepted in February. In July, 2005, I did my AMCAS. I started getting secondaries in early August and filled them out as quickly as I could. Middle August I started the program. God-willing, I will be accepted somewhere during this interview cycle and will begin medical school a couple months after completing this program (Aug, 2006.)

If you get rejected from a medical school (as I have already had happen.) That is *usually* it. Very few schools will reconsider once they have turned someone down. Normally, you would need to know someone on the board who has a LOT of influence, or have a relative who would be able to donate a sizeable building on your behalf. This year, many of us who applied to Georgetown medical school for next year were turned down by mistake (we are not supposed to have our files looked at until well into next semester, so they can see our SMP performance.) Dr. Myers, Mulroney and Sherman explained the situation to the adcom for G-town med and they relented. This, however, was a very special situation.

I can't speak for other SMP's, but I know ours will consider GRE's in lieu of MCAT's. However, since you need the MCAT for your med school application anyway, and since it is exceedingly difficult to take the MCAT while trying to also do this program, your best bet is to go ahead and take the MCAT before you apply here, if it is at all possible.

Wow, thank you for that info. Very, very helpful. That is also very encouraging to know that one does not need to be perfect in order to be admitted.

Specifically though, you mentioned you filled out the AMCAS in the summer after the winter you were admitted and you filled out secondaries in August. Therefore, despite any flaws in the GPA, med schools did not reject you pre-secondary? So basically, when you filled out your secondary, did you attach a note or letter stating you are in the Georgetown SMP? This means that med schools are willing to wait for the first semester transcript from Georgetown?

Members don't see this ad :)
My pleasure. Always glad to help.

A few schools did reject me pre-secondary. Most didn't. I did include a little info about the SMP and what it was in my AMCAS. That helped. Also, there are a number of schools that are fairly familiar with the SMP (George Washington, NYMC and Drexel are a few) so they know to hold on to your application until after your Fall grades.

Also, when you begin the program, Dr. Myers sends a letter to all the schools you have applied to. The letter basically describes the program, lets them know what you are doing and tells them that they will be receiving a letter of recommendation later which will include some of your grades. It basically advises them to not fully consider your app until they have at least received that letter. Many schools will also, on their own, decide to wait for the full semester grades.

MedChic, I'm glad you are encouraged. There is nothing in anyone's past that cannot be overcome if they are willing to put in the effort. I hope you will be applying to G-town and/or other programs like it.

If you are planning to apply, I would encourage you to do it as early as possible. This program is on a rolling-admissions process (as are the others, I think) so it is in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.

Good luck!

MedChic said:
Wow, thank you for that info. Very, very helpful. That is also very encouraging to know that one does not need to be perfect in order to be admitted.

Specifically though, you mentioned you filled out the AMCAS in the summer after the winter you were admitted and you filled out secondaries in August. Therefore, despite any flaws in the GPA, med schools did not reject you pre-secondary? So basically, when you filled out your secondary, did you attach a note or letter stating you are in the Georgetown SMP? This means that med schools are willing to wait for the first semester transcript from Georgetown?

imrep1972 said:
My pleasure. Always glad to help.

A few schools did reject me pre-secondary. Most didn't. I did include a little info about the SMP and what it was in my AMCAS. That helped. Also, there are a number of schools that are fairly familiar with the SMP (George Washington, NYMC and Drexel are a few) so they know to hold on to your application until after your Fall grades.

Also, when you begin the program, Dr. Myers sends a letter to all the schools you have applied to. The letter basically describes the program, lets them know what you are doing and tells them that they will be receiving a letter of recommendation later which will include some of your grades. It basically advises them to not fully consider your app until they have at least received that letter. Many schools will also, on their own, decide to wait for the full semester grades.

MedChic, I'm glad you are encouraged. There is nothing in anyone's past that cannot be overcome if they are willing to put in the effort. I hope you will be applying to G-town and/or other programs like it.

If you are planning to apply, I would encourage you to do it as early as possible. This program is on a rolling-admissions process (as are the others, I think) so it is in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.

Good luck!

My question is what is the cost of this program? Sounds great - but it also sounds like a full-time deal...

It is a full time deal. You are earning a Masters Degree in Physiology in one year. This is something to be done if you are reasonably sure that you want to go to med school and you believe this is what will aid the weak points in your transcript.

It is expensive. It is roughly 30K for a year of tuition at Georgetown and probably another 20K (or more - depending on you) for living expenses in DC (a VERY expensive city.) The way I approach it is this - I realistically expect to be anywhere from 100K - 200K in debt after med school. What's another 50K on top of that? I want to be a doctor. I believe with my stats I would not have made it into a US school without this help. To me, the choice was a no-brainer.

dukboki said:
My question is what is the cost of this program? Sounds great - but it also sounds like a full-time deal...

MedChic said:

i think most people who pursue the georgetown program (and i'm guessing the other smp's out there) do so because they have these types of grades in their science courses. i certainly had my fair share of B-'s and C+'s in science courses from undergrad. i worked my tail off and did well in the physio program and it's certainly paying off - i have 5 m.d. interviews already this year. like imrep mentioned, there are a handful of schools out there that really understand what it means for an applicant to be able to do well in a special masters program (of course, i'd guess most schools would be understanding - it's just that some schools are less familiar with the programs). i'm not saying getting an A in histology or neuroscience is going to prompt the adcoms to forget about your undergrad grades. but, it certainly does allow them to see that you do have the drive and capability to do just as well in medicine as the successful applicants out there. i'd say maintaining a 3.5 in a special masters program and a good solid interview (obviously an essential element, especially since you'll have lots of explaining!) will do you wonders in the application process.

feel free to pm me with more specific questions. i'm always willing to share my experiences/advice with current or prospective physios.

imrep1972 said:
MedChic,

When you say have already been rejected do you mean that year or the previous year. Right now I am applying to post-bac programs and plan to reapply to med school in june/july (whenever the 1st day is). If I got rejected from a school in 2005 does that mean I have lower (or no) chances of getting into that school in 2006?

I also have a question about the georgetown program itself. From my understanding, in the SMP program you are taking a few classes with the med students. If you were to get accepted into g-town med the following year do the classes you took in the SMP program count when you get into the med school or do you have to rekate them? Thanks in advance for your help.

What if you have like a 3.2 overall gpa but like a 3.8 in the prereqs and a nice MCAT, what is the best way to go? Doesn't seem like you'd need to prove yourself in the sciences which seems like what SMPs are for. Just need a higher overall GPA.

My little sister is going to be in that situation after she graduates this spring.
Nothing lower than a B+ in all the sciences (mostly A's) and a 31 MCAT. I told her to apply DO and almost surely get in, she seems stuck on allopathic so any advice?

Amizle, I was specifically referring to being rejected this year to those schools.

I couldn't say for certain if being rejected one year will effect you another. What I have heard said, however, is that reapplying to a school does show interest and determination, which appeal to an adcom.

At Georgetown med, you have the option of retaking or not any class you took as an SMP. Further, those grades will be calculated into your GPA for consideration for AOA (medical honors society.)

Other schools may or may not allow you to skip those courses. You would need to address that with them specifically.

amizle said:
When you say have already been rejected do you mean that year or the previous year. Right now I am applying to post-bac programs and plan to reapply to med school in june/july (whenever the 1st day is). If I got rejected from a school in 2005 does that mean I have lower (or no) chances of getting into that school in 2006?

I also have a question about the georgetown program itself. From my understanding, in the SMP program you are taking a few classes with the med students. If you were to get accepted into g-town med the following year do the classes you took in the SMP program count when you get into the med school or do you have to rekate them? Thanks in advance for your help.

letsrun4it said:
What if you have like a 3.2 overall gpa but like a 3.8 in the prereqs and a nice MCAT, what is the best way to go? Doesn't seem like you'd need to prove yourself in the sciences which seems like what SMPs are for. Just need a higher overall GPA.

My little sister is going to be in that situation after she graduates this spring.
Nothing lower than a B+ in all the sciences (mostly A's) and a 31 MCAT. I told her to apply DO and almost surely get in, she seems stuck on allopathic so any advice?

it seems like she should try to apply to some allo schools, anyway...you never know what they want, and if she has good extras and LOR's she might make it. Tell her to apply to some lower tier allo schools. Honestly though, a 3.8 in the sciences proves her interest! Good luck