SMU or MUA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medhope4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had an interview with Saint Matthews University and I'm thinking I will probably be accepted. Atleast we hope right. I also got into MUA-nevis. I was rejected from Ross, and I am still waiting to hear back from St. Georges. Chances are, at best I'll get into the foundation program at St. Georges, in which case I'd have more to deal with. But in most likelihood I'll get rejected.

So I wanted to know what school was better, SMU or MUAnevis. I see alot of people say to go with nevis, but when I look at the residency match list at SMU, I see more students matching in things like anesthesiology, OBGYN, general surgery, rads, and I even saw neurological surgery. I didn't see as much with nevis.

I also had a family member who went to SMU, and is now doing Anesthesiology residency. Another friend of mine is went to SMU and is doing family practice.

So basically I just wanted to get some ideas. I don't care much about the Cali thing because I plan on practicing on the east coast.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're a US citizen, the answer is neither. Stay in the States, work on studying for the MCAT, shadow, volunteer, ect. Complete a post-bacc if you need to be more competitive. Then apply to SMP programs and DO schools. If you get into both, attend DO school over an SMP. If you get into an SMP, work hard, and you'll find yourself in a US MD school sooner than you think. This is a far easier path then trying to land a US residency as a SMU or MUA grad in the coming years. We are expecting tougher legislation against Caribbean grads, and to make matters worse, we are also expecting a big residency crunch in the very near future. If you want to be a Doctor of Medicine, you need to work hard, starting now. There's no easy way to become a doctor.