SN2'd first day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: This was supposed to be a thread about the first day of SN2. However as with all intelligent life, things evolve. This thread has now become a support page for people following the SN2 plan. You can think of it as Alcoholics Anonymous for people studying to take the MCAT using the SN2 plan.

EDIT July 1, 2014:
If you are interested in @mehc012's Anki Deck, DO NOT SEND A PM. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7if6wgaif98rkoa/mehc012 SN2edCh4s.apkg
**A NOTE: @mehc012 and several others (myself included) want to tell you guys that studying from another person's deck will probably not be as beneficial to you as creating your own cards. Yes you can take advantage of @mehc012's generosity, but you won't get the same advantage. Study the material. Create cards as you go along. You will find it more helpful to your studying. **

EDIT July 22, 2014:
The following is @TBRBiosadist's official MCAT Verbal Reasoning Strategy:
@TBRBiosadist's strategy that got [him] from a 7 average to scoring 13-15 average..

Spend the bulk of your time reading. Up to 3 minutes per passage.
  • Read the first and last paragraph thoroughly to begin with. Understand what the authors main point will be because 90% of questions require nothing more than a general idea.
  • After this, read the entire passage slowly enough where you dont feel like you need to reread sentences for understanding.
Next is just answer questions, there is a few tricks here that work about 90% of the time
  • Unless the passage is asking you about a specific detail, dont look back. READ EVERY ANSWER THOROUGLY AND THEN Answer what makes sense from the general point of the passage. Its very easy to prove a wrong answer to be somewhat correct if you dig hard enough, dont. Answer what your gut says and move onto the next question, dont contemplate to much. With that being said...
  • Answer like you were dropped on the head as a child. Alot of times if Im arguing between two answers, there is the answer that is 100% correct, and one that is 90% correct. Be an idoit and choose the one that seems like it is correct. However.....
  • "Always" is a word to avoid. If an answer uses this word, or definites like it, it is something to avoid. I would say 80% of the time the wishy washy answer is more correct then the highly affirmative one. This leads to my final point....
  • 100% of the time you are not actually looking for the "right" answer in verbal, this isnt PS or BS where 1+1 almost always equals 2 (unless we are talking about the different sedimentation values for Ribosomes). In verbal you are looking for the answer that isnt wrong. Often times an answer will seem very "right" but one aspect of it is clearly wrong, as compared to an answer that isnt wrong, but doesnt seem as right as that answer, these are meant to fool you. Choose the answer that isnt wrong.
I understand that I few of these tips may be at odds with each other. Ultimately you must adjust slightly for each passage, but it comes down to one thing. Read thoroughly. Read every sentence in the passage. Read every question. Read every answer. Then the correct answer will be fairly obvious. This may seem like it takes longer, but it takes much less time than skimming, and then trying to find the correct information later.

Or to summarize in one sentence

Understand what the hell the author is arguing

EDIT July 26, 2014:

@DoctorInASaree uploaded a guide to Verbal Reasoning. If you're interested, it's worth a look. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2byivymmqwlvjms/MCAT VR Primer DRSAREE.pdf

EDIT 2, July 26, 2014: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sn2d-first-day.1074344/page-52#post-15510851

The first day is BR physics chapter (translational motion) + 1/3 of the passages. I felt like I wasn't able to apply the stuff I read into the stuff I was tested on.

Has anyone felt this way when following the schedule? It just seems like the contents of the chapter didn't really stick in my head when I took the practice passages. Will this improve over time?

EDIT 3, March 4, 2015:

For verbal, if you are feeling lost and confused, I highly highly recommend you to look into the MCAT Strategy Course by @Jack Westin. I've been working with him, and nothing comes close to his course and teaching. It's a strategy course, so it will cover everything, not just the VR/CARS section.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
BR passages are pretty difficult. Make sure you understand the basic concepts, though. Don't worry if you aren't getting all the ridiculously tricky problems right.
If you get confused, supplement with Khan Academy/Youtube about the subject.

It's also helpful to make a list of formulas and stuff to review periodically so you don't forget them by the end of the summer.

And yes, Sn2's study plan is exhausting, but lots of people have done it and so can you! :)

Just remember it's a marathon, not a race. One bad day doesn't mean anything.

I don't think I had a bad day, I mean I can understand the concepts, but there's stuff they use like the shortcuts on knowing values of sine, cosine, multiplying certain values that correspond to a time an object falls, etc. that I didn't pick up immediately, and still haven't fully gotten used to. They especially seem to emphasize "Turbo Solutions" where they use their tricks to pull the answer really fast, and I don't have as good a grasp on that stuff.

I'll be making the list shortly haha. I have yet to review the passages (SN2 says to review the day after) so I'll find out more tomorrow. I guess this is why SN2 says to reread all the chapters every week? Maybe that'll help?

Members don't see this ad :)
For stuff like sine, cosine, tangent values, I took a blank piece of paper and wrote them all down.

I just kept doing that until I could do it right every time. It takes like 15 minutes of doing this the first day, then just write them down and check your numbers once every day after that...takes like 1 minute.
This works for formulas and stuff, too. I think it pays dividends.
What about those tables they put on how distances change as time increases and etc?

I just started on Monday and am feeling the same way so youre not alone on this. Day 2 was even worse for me since it's been 3 years since I took gen chem. The commonly used equations obviously just need to be memorized, which is a pain in the ass, but I'm hoping everything else will become more consolidated in my memory on the re-read days and when doing the 2nd 1/3 of passages. Good luck!

I just started on Monday and am feeling the same way so youre not alone on this. Day 2 was even worse for me since it's been 3 years since I took gen chem. The commonly used equations obviously just need to be memorized, which is a pain in the ass, but I'm hoping everything else will become more consolidated in my memory on the re-read days and when doing the 2nd 1/3 of passages. Good luck!

Same here!

What about those tables they put on how distances change as time increases and etc?
Anki.
I memorized the non-double intervals (1, 3, 5, 7) and the rest I can extrapolate from the 'double time = quadruple distance' rule.
My chapters are going pretty slowly because I am Anki'ing each one as I go through it, but it's making the later days go more quickly! The only problem I am having is finding time for review given that I don't study everyday.

Anki.
I memorized the non-double intervals (1, 3, 5, 7) and the rest I can extrapolate from the 'double time = quadruple distance' rule.
My chapters are going pretty slowly because I am Anki'ing each one as I go through it, but it's making the later days go more quickly! The only problem I am having is finding time for review given that I don't study everyday.
Yeah I Anki'd the sine/cosine values. I'm gonna Anki the rest of the stuff today

How long does it usually take you guys to finish everything each day? For me it was like 7-8 hrs
Really depends on the block...for a single chapter, the passages take 20min or so, + 30min review time. Reading the chapter takes 20-30min, but making cards can take a few hours if I want them done well.
Reread + passages days are quicker, since I read TPRH instead of TBR and only Anki facts which weren't in TBR.
Most of my time is eaten up procrastinating, though, so I can't really say. Plus, I try to do 2-3 blocks (what SN2ed calls days) per day when I have a day off, and only 0.5-1 if I worked that day.

Same dilemma kinda. My cousin scored his target score and he was using this schedule. But I feel like I MAY need to take a kaplan course? Idk why but I feel as if TBR is good but my passage scores suck and I'm already feeling bogged down. Should I stick it out or should I just make the jump to Kaplan?

Same dilemma kinda. My cousin scored his target score and he was using this schedule. But I feel like I MAY need to take a kaplan course? Idk why but I feel as if TBR is good but my passage scores suck and I'm already feeling bogged down. Should I stick it out or should I just make the jump to Kaplan?
I'm planning to stick it out until I do a few AAMC FLs. Several of my past teachers have had the philosophy "make the practice incredibly difficult so that the test feels easy" and I wonder if that is what TBR is doing. If I get to the FLs and am still not doing as well as I'd like, I'll delay my test and try something else. However, until then I figure the harder the practice, the better it is preparing me!

Reactions: 1 users
Appreciate the quick reply mehc,

Another question- what do we do with the practice problems in the text of TBR? Do you guys make notes out of those or just the factual info presented but then actually try the problems? I have been making notes in a separate notebook but figured that most of my writing goes into the actual TBR book itself. Also, WHY ARE THERE SO MANY DAMN EQUATIONS?!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Appreciate the quick reply mehc,

Another question- what do we do with the practice problems in the text of TBR? Do you guys make notes out of those or just the factual info presented but then actually try the problems? I have been making notes in a separate notebook but figured that most of my writing goes into the actual TBR book itself. Also, WHY ARE THERE SO MANY DAMN EQUATIONS?!!!
I just do those as I get to them in the reading. I don't do notes, I Anki, so I can't help you there.

How long does it usually take you guys to finish everything each day? For me it was like 7-8 hrs

I think I'm on the slower side - it took me about 8-9 hours for an average chapter + passages. It definitely gets better as you get along. I think the first week was definitely the toughest as you're still finding your groove.

I think I'm on the slower side - it took me about 8-9 hours for an average chapter + passages. It definitely gets better as you get along. I think the first week was definitely the toughest as you're still finding your groove.

Yeah it should smooth out over the next week or so

Really depends on the block...for a single chapter, the passages take 20min or so, + 30min review time. Reading the chapter takes 20-30min, but making cards can take a few hours if I want them done well.
Reread + passages days are quicker, since I read TPRH instead of TBR and only Anki facts which weren't in TBR.
Most of my time is eaten up procrastinating, though, so I can't really say. Plus, I try to do 2-3 blocks (what SN2ed calls days) per day when I have a day off, and only 0.5-1 if I worked that day.

You took only 20-30 minutes to read a single chapter?!

Could you elaborate a bit more on your approach? What things do you add in Anki?

How far into SN2 are you? I'm on my second day. Don't let the weight of the stuff get to you. My first day (yesterday) took me like 10 hours (a bit of procrastination). Each day you'll learn to adjust better, and in about a week you'll get the hang of it. I wouldn't waste the $ on a course. SN2 is basically a course in itself.

How far into SN2 are you? I'm on my second day. Don't let the weight of the stuff get to you. My first day (yesterday) took me like 10 hours (a bit of procrastination). Each day you'll learn to adjust better, and in about a week you'll get the hang of it. I wouldn't waste the $ on a course. SN2 is basically a course in itself.

thanks for the reassurance. I'm currently on day 3 with o-chem but have fell behind already lol I need to correct some passages from yesterday and things aren't looking good. Pretty much got maybe half or less than half the first time I did them. Relooking at them I am just like WTF was I thinking. I think the re-read days will be the most important!

I just don't know the proper way to get around physics? Maybe it's the time element. But I'm hoping that once I can practice the material and get a solid grasp that things will change.

Last edited:
thanks for the reassurance. I'm currently on day 3 with o-chem but have fell behind already lol I need to correct some passages from yesterday and things aren't looking good. Pretty much got maybe half or less than half the first time I did them. Relooking at them I am just like WTF was I thinking. I think the re-read days will be the most important!

I just don't know the proper way to get around physics? Maybe it's the time element. But I'm hoping that once I can practice the material and get a solid grasp that things will change.

Ah, I'm on Day 2. Gen chem is such a drag. I missed about 2 questions per physics passage from Day 1's 1/3. But I realized when reviewing that every single mistake was pure careless. It's most likely because I took the passages at 1:30 AM and I was really tired. So I'll review them again on my "Free" day after I've read all the chapters. Hopefully it'll work out

Honestly, I think most premeds find physics the most challenging. I know that BR passages are hard so I'm happy with being trained harder than it may be, but I would pay close attention to that first page that has all the formulas and concepts. All the other equations are derived from those four.

The first week or two is just adjusting yourself for the schedule and problems that will come up (i.e. crap how do I approach memorizing this chart for OChem or things like when should i review my passages). So you will eat up way more time than you will like. It is time consuming but it is doable. Don't freak out if you wasting more time than the average of "6-8 hours" After you get the hang of it, you will be wasting around that time. HOWEVER, don't always assume you will only need 6 hours, some chapters are longer than other chapters or the chapter is going over material that you are unfamiliar with or have trouble grasping, so you will spend more time than the average.

TL; DR Stick to the plan. You will be doing ****** in the beginning and you will gradually improve as the days pass on.

Thanks for the tips! I'll keep pushing through this then haha. I'm actually noticing some improvements already, and I like seeing myself get better at stuff so I can tell it's working :D

Started improving on verbal which is a good thing. As for my gen-chem passages... got a 2/7 on one, a 3/6 on another, a 2/7 on another and I think I got 4/6 on the last passage. Feeling really ****ty right now from all this uneven performance. Physics was filled with crappy passage scores as well. The time factor is pretty stressful as well (and I'm giving myself 10 minutes per section for science). Need some advice. Cannot see the light from where I'm at and I'm actually strongly considering purchasing other prep books like TPR or even go through with a kaplan course but idk. :((

Instead of abandoning BR, if you're really feeling like you understand it, why don't you pick up a copy of TPRH Science Workbook to work through as well. There are a lot of great passages, especially in Gen Chem and Bio. (Physics has about one per topic, so it's not quite as helpful.)

Started improving on verbal which is a good thing. As for my gen-chem passages... got a 2/7 on one, a 3/6 on another, a 2/7 on another and I think I got 4/6 on the last passage. Feeling really ****ty right now from all this uneven performance. Physics was filled with crappy passage scores as well. The time factor is pretty stressful as well (and I'm giving myself 10 minutes per section for science). Need some advice. Cannot see the light from where I'm at and I'm actually strongly considering purchasing other prep books like TPR or even go through with a kaplan course but idk. :((

The first gen chem day (day 2) killed me haha. I haven't reviewed my passages yet but I'm sure they will be just as bad. On physics, all my mistakes were careless, and I hope that that is the same for the gen chem passages. But I wouldn't give up man /(girl?). Just review very well and find out where you need to review. Idk for you, but for me, a lot of the issues are from not memorizing the formulas/missing small details. That'll definitely get better with time. A friend of mine told me yesterday that the MCAT is less about knowing the information and more about learning how to take the test. Idk if you've noticed, but you can eliminate a lot of choices just by using some common sense (BR points this out a lot).

Instead of abandoning BR, if you're really feeling like you understand it, why don't you pick up a copy of TPRH Science Workbook to work through as well. There are a lot of great passages, especially in Gen Chem and Bio. (Physics has about one per topic, so it's not quite as helpful.)

I will probably get the book. Honestly, each SN2 day is taking me a super long time with the review and new day's work, etc.

I haven't even started verbal prep yet, since I'm first reading through the BR front part of the verbal book first. So much information.

I'm planning to stick it out until I do a few AAMC FLs. Several of my past teachers have had the philosophy "make the practice incredibly difficult so that the test feels easy" and I wonder if that is what TBR is doing. If I get to the FLs and am still not doing as well as I'd like, I'll delay my test and try something else. However, until then I figure the harder the practice, the better it is preparing me!

The first gen chem day (day 2) killed me haha. I haven't reviewed my passages yet but I'm sure they will be just as bad. On physics, all my mistakes were careless, and I hope that that is the same for the gen chem passages. But I wouldn't give up man /(girl?). Just review very well and find out where you need to review. Idk for you, but for me, a lot of the issues are from not memorizing the formulas/missing small details. That'll definitely get better with time. A friend of mine told me yesterday that the MCAT is less about knowing the information and more about learning how to take the test. Idk if you've noticed, but you can eliminate a lot of choices just by using some common sense (BR points this out a lot).

I will probably get the book. Honestly, each SN2 day is taking me a super long time with the review and new day's work, etc.

I haven't even started verbal prep yet, since I'm first reading through the BR front part of the verbal book first. So much information.

Thanks guys. I honestly really appreciate the advice and support. I do have TPR science workbook and will definitely give it a try then. I will also try making a new set of notes and doing the EK 1001 tonight. And as Texas said, I didn't memorize the formulas either so that made some stuff tricky. I also think it's the fact that I have a timer which I constantly get worried after but that feeling of rushing and fear is starting to go away. We should definitely keep this thread updated if we find any trouble. I love the support!

Thanks guys. I honestly really appreciate the advice and support. I do have TPR science workbook and will definitely give it a try then. I will also try making a new set of notes and doing the EK 1001 tonight. And as Texas said, I didn't memorize the formulas either so that made some stuff tricky. I also think it's the fact that I have a timer which I constantly get worried after but that feeling of rushing and fear is starting to go away. We should definitely keep this thread updated if we find any trouble. I love the support!

Lets definitely keep the thread going! I was planning on making a thread as a progress journal for myself and others, and I guess this will be it haha.

I'm on Day 3 right now. About to start the Orgo stuff, but I'm feeling tired today. Once Orgo is done I'll do the 1/3 passages, finish reading the intro BR verbal section, and then I'm going to write out formulas and concepts from the first 3 days in one of those infamous composition books. It's just covering the chapters takes hours for me...

I use my iPhone stopwatch as my timer. I've been able to finish between 6-7 minutes for physics passages, but gen chem killed me. I think for gen chem, dive into the questions first and use the passages as a way to guide yourself (at least in BR passages)

Nnnn, if you think the first few chapters in the schedule are bad... While you do get the hang of things after a couple of days, there are some chapters that I felt like should've been split up into 2 days just for how long they were. I've had to use up Break Days to compensate for burning out and cutting a study session short because a chapter was like 50+ pages. Thankfully, you'll also find that some of the upcoming chapters are relatively shorter (maybe 10 -15 pages of review) or just easier to read and interpret.

Nnnn, if you think the first few chapters in the schedule are bad... While you do get the hang of things after a couple of days, there are some chapters that I felt like should've been split up into 2 days just for how long they were. I've had to use up Break Days to compensate for burning out and cutting a study session short because a chapter was like 50+ pages. Thankfully, you'll also find that some of the upcoming chapters are relatively shorter (maybe 10 -15 pages of review) or just easier to read and interpret.
Yeah I agree, I just finished 50+ pages with Gen Chem Lecture TBR. A lot of it though was easy to get through. Going to do the passages in a bit.

OP keep your chin up man, it gets better.

Yeah I agree, I just finished 50+ pages with Gen Chem Lecture TBR. A lot of it though was easy to get through. Going to do the passages in a bit.

OP keep your chin up man, it gets better.
I think BR Gen chem is the toughest. Maybe it's because the passages or something, but the number of formulas and stuff is throwing me off. But it's been 3 years since I took gen chem so it's coming back slowly. How long does it take you to read the 50+ pages?

Thanks swole, hoping to improve all around in a few weeks

I think BR Gen chem is the toughest. Maybe it's because the passages or something, but the number of formulas and stuff is throwing me off. But it's been 3 years since I took gen chem so it's coming back slowly. How long does it take you to read the 50+ pages?

Thanks swole, hoping to improve all around in a few weeks
It took me ~4 hours to finish reading all of the lecture material, however on the first chapter it took me a bit longer. The 2nd chapter is more concept based, so it might take you a little less as well. I'm going to start the passages in a bit which usually take me 2 hours (including post passage analysis) + I usually do some TPR science and Ek as well.

It took me ~4 hours to finish reading all of the lecture material, however on the first chapter it took me a bit longer. The 2nd chapter is more concept based, so it might take you a little less as well. I'm going to start the passages in a bit which usually take me 2 hours (including post passage analysis) + I usually do some TPR science and Ek as well.

Doing the passages (1/3's) take me about 30-45 minutes. I don't check them on the same day though, since I don't think SN2 recommends it and it helps me to review the material the next day quickly.

I may throw in some TPR science, then. Are you talking about the EK 1001's that you do?

It's good to know the reading will take less. Chapter 1's have taken me the better part of a day to do...

How are guys going about taking notes from each chapter? Are you keeping a separate notebook for each subject or what? I was planning on using a binder with sprial paper and just having notes from each day (like physics 1, chemistry 1, etc.)? I'm kinda stuck on how to actually increase my content review stuff. I figure that will help and then move onto EK 1001. Any advice?

Could you elaborate a bit more on your approach? What things do you add in Anki?
Well, for starters I made thorough Anki decks when I took some of the prereqs (Bio and Physics).
Basically, as I'm going I make very messy notes on the dry-erase portion of my desk. These are either things which I am totally unfamiliar with, things which I figure will be a good, discrete thing to memorize, or simply a notation of where to find a really good Clozable sentence or a table of info.
When I'm done reading the chapter and taking notes (my 'must-haves'), I then go back to the beginning and go through paragraph by paragraph. I try to come up with 1 point for each paragraph, and then determine whether it's information worth keeping. For example, right now I'm on Bio Ch3.
1st paragraph is always a throwaway
2nd paragraph: The food we eat has a diverse composition with many components which need to be degraded and absorbed. SO not worth memorizing.
3rd paragraph: Starch is broken down into glucose by amylase. Cellulose is broken down into glucose by cellulase.
- I make a summary sentence and just Cloze out the key points (note: same color = same cloze deletion). More basic things just get Front/Back cards.
4th paragraph: Humans do not make cellulase, so they cannot utilize cellulose.
- I need to update/add a note on the Cellulose card (note that, since I've already read through this once, I already know this and it gets done ahead of time). I can either put it as a part of the card, or in this case, since it's so simple, I just add it as 'Extra' so that it shows up whenever the card is reviewed as a reminder.

And so on...

Some paragraphs are very dense, so I simply read them until I get my first factoid, then keep going until I get another, and so on. I make tons of cards and I always update/fiddle with phrasing on review.

For the "must-knows" that I pull out in my initial read-through, I tend to make up my own thought or trick question cards in addition to the basic memorization of factoid cards. This is more applicable in subjects like Physics.
Sometimes my "must-knows" are the little tricks that TBR gives...in those cases I make up a question which is hard to answer normally and easy to answer with their tricks, or I make up several questions which require memorization of their shortcut values table, as well as pulling out the key values in their table (usually the primes; all others can be extrapolated from those).

Hey guys, hope all is well, I officially finished my first week of Sn2 and let me tell you it was rough, just don't give up it will get better trust me I'm doing this schedule with 4 hrs a day hospital rotation since I'm med lab and let me tell you Gen chem and Bio passages were killing me at first, Gen chem it gets better with practice just don't really stress out on the score of the passage as long as your learn from them after all that is what they are there for. I managed to get a Gen Chem passage all right today and it felt good to finally see some progress, my only draw back is time per passage which seems to be working out as well.

Concerning reading Physics is the easiest, Orgo is a time killer, I'm reading Ek bio which I'm finding easy to get done with.

I highlight important stuff and equations so rereading is more like skimming the useless jabber and more like focusing on the things that need to be done plus jotting down notes and scribbling on the book itself.

I am bookmarking passages that I find hard and are crushing me so I tend to review them when I have time and make use of them.

Careless mistakes are kinda acceptable the first week I guess since the whole thing is new, BR will guide you with tips and tricks use them to minimize those mistakes later.

I am currently solving the second 1/3 of the passages and will keep you updated on how the second week goes.

I've been visiting this thread a couple times a day just to remind myself that I'm not the only person studying like a maniac for the MCAT. Even though were struggling now I think it'll pay off by the end of the summer.

Well, for starters I made thorough Anki decks when I took some of the prereqs (Bio and Physics).
Basically, as I'm going I make very messy notes on the dry-erase portion of my desk. These are either things which I am totally unfamiliar with, things which I figure will be a good, discrete thing to memorize, or simply a notation of where to find a really good Clozable sentence or a table of info.
When I'm done reading the chapter and taking notes (my 'must-haves'), I then go back to the beginning and go through paragraph by paragraph. I try to come up with 1 point for each paragraph, and then determine whether it's information worth keeping. For example, right now I'm on Bio Ch3.
1st paragraph is always a throwaway
2nd paragraph: The food we eat has a diverse composition with many components which need to be degraded and absorbed. SO not worth memorizing.
3rd paragraph: Starch is broken down into glucose by amylase. Cellulose is broken down into glucose by cellulase.
- I make a summary sentence and just Cloze out the key points (note: same color = same cloze deletion). More basic things just get Front/Back cards.
4th paragraph: Humans do not make cellulase, so they cannot utilize cellulose.
- I need to update/add a note on the Cellulose card (note that, since I've already read through this once, I already know this and it gets done ahead of time). I can either put it as a part of the card, or in this case, since it's so simple, I just add it as 'Extra' so that it shows up whenever the card is reviewed as a reminder.

And so on...

Some paragraphs are very dense, so I simply read them until I get my first factoid, then keep going until I get another, and so on. I make tons of cards and I always update/fiddle with phrasing on review.

For the "must-knows" that I pull out in my initial read-through, I tend to make up my own thought or trick question cards in addition to the basic memorization of factoid cards. This is more applicable in subjects like Physics.
Sometimes my "must-knows" are the little tricks that TBR gives...in those cases I make up a question which is hard to answer normally and easy to answer with their tricks, or I make up several questions which require memorization of their shortcut values table, as well as pulling out the key values in their table (usually the primes; all others can be extrapolated from those).

This seems to be similar to what I do. I've started Clozing the hell out of EK bio and it's good. But most of the time I write directly into the BR books and then I'll read through them at random points during the day to nail it in.
Hey guys, hope all is well, I officially finished my first week of Sn2 and let me tell you it was rough, just don't give up it will get better trust me I'm doing this schedule with 4 hrs a day hospital rotation since I'm med lab and let me tell you Gen chem and Bio passages were killing me at first, Gen chem it gets better with practice just don't really stress out on the score of the passage as long as your learn from them after all that is what they are there for. I managed to get a Gen Chem passage all right today and it felt good to finally see some progress, my only draw back is time per passage which seems to be working out as well.

Concerning reading Physics is the easiest, Orgo is a time killer, I'm reading Ek bio which I'm finding easy to get done with.

I highlight important stuff and equations so rereading is more like skimming the useless jabber and more like focusing on the things that need to be done plus jotting down notes and scribbling on the book itself.

I am bookmarking passages that I find hard and are crushing me so I tend to review them when I have time and make use of them.

Careless mistakes are kinda acceptable the first week I guess since the whole thing is new, BR will guide you with tips and tricks use them to minimize those mistakes later.

I am currently solving the second 1/3 of the passages and will keep you updated on how the second week goes.

Thanks for the advice! It better get better next week haha.
Question- have you noticed that even though you finish reading for bio days quick, there's a ton of passages to do?! I just looked at the SN2 corresponding passages and the first 1/3 of EK bio chapter 1 is about 12 passages.... O.O

I've been visiting this thread a couple times a day just to remind myself that I'm not the only person studying like a maniac for the MCAT. Even though were struggling now I think it'll pay off by the end of the summer.
It will for sure. My main issue is making careless mistakes, random gaps in content knowledge, and then time.

Question- are you guys finding it challenging to do the VR passages in addition to the day's workload? I am
That's actually the easiest part of my day since VR is the first thing I usually do. For me, it's the 1/3 of passages at the end of the chapters that are challenging because I'm tired of studying by then.

That's actually the easiest part of my day since VR is the first thing I usually do. For me, it's the 1/3 of passages at the end of the chapters that are challenging because I'm tired of studying by then.
Ah okay. That is more than likely to be my schedule after this week as well. I'm just reading through the front part of BR verbal right now which is like 100 pages but after that, my daily routine will be: Verbal, Read + 1/3, review yesterday's 1/3. That whole routine takes me about 10 hours a day or more

Idk about you guys but I experienced some burnout so took the day off. Simply just did some verbal practice and did well and then reviewed yesterday's bio passages. Took rest of the day off. Time to hit physics 2 and passages tomorrow and try to start reviewing all the chapters for the week. No more breaks til next Sunday.

Hopefully. ;)

Idk about you guys but I experienced some burnout so took the day off. Simply just did some verbal practice and did well and then reviewed yesterday's bio passages. Took rest of the day off. Time to hit physics 2 and passages tomorrow and try to start reviewing all the chapters for the week. No more breaks til next Sunday.

Hopefully. ;)
I've taken so many breaks that it's sad. I'm well behind where I'd hoped to be, and almost behind where I need to be.
I need to have some power days where I finish multiple chapters.

Hopefully. ;)

I've taken so many breaks that it's sad. I'm well behind where I'd hoped to be, and almost behind where I need to be.
I need to have some power days where I finish multiple chapters.

You guys are lucky you can do breaks. My MCAT is on Aug. 27 and I started May 27 so I didn't have time to put in the buffer days like SN2 suggests

Went on a cruise a week and a half after I started this program and it really screwed me up. Needless to say, I am going to restart it again next week...

Several of my past teachers have had the philosophy "make the practice incredibly difficult so that the test feels easy" and I wonder if that is what TBR is doing.

Yeah, that's what BR's philosophy is as well. If I remember right, they also believe that you learn best when you struggle and miss a question rather than breezing by it. Missing a question stops and forces you to re-evaluate your knowledge of a topic.

Yeah, that's what BR's philosophy is as well. If I remember right, they also believe that you learn best when you struggle and miss a question rather than breezing by it. Missing a question stops and forces you to re-evaluate your knowledge of a topic.
@SN2! I have a question: it's been about a week since I started (reading physics ch. 2 right now) and I don't feel like I have as solid a grasp on gen chem or physics as I should. Will this get better over time? Also, most of my day is taken up reading the chapters so I have less time to practice. Any suggestions on this? I spend like 6-7 hours reading and maybe 1 or 2 hrs doing passages (I do finish the 1/3 though)

Lastly, I don't have as much verbal practice yet because I spent this past week reading BR's front verbal strategy part. Should I aim for 5 passages/day now?

Last edited:
I'm strongly thinking of making the switch from TBR physics and chem to both EK physics and chem 7th edition books. These sections are just TOO long for me. I was planning on using TBR strictly for the passages, however.

I'm strongly thinking of making the switch from TBR physics and chem to both EK physics and chem 7th edition books. These sections are just TOO long for me. I was planning on using TBR strictly for the passages, however.

I believe you and I are in the same spot of the SN2 schedule right? I'm beginning to have a rather low opinion of pure content review. I started out the first days taking almost 7-8 hours reading the chapter, now it's about 4-5 and it's getting better. What I did was increase the speed of my reading by moving my pen across the paper fast and then I would do those in chapter problems. The content review helps me refresh my knowledge, but honestly my real learning is coming from taking the passages and missing questions and then thoroughly reviewing them. I've got a composition book where every day I jot down notes on the questions I've missed or guessed on and gotten right. So in this way, I'm slowly building a study book of my weaknesses. Maybe that'll help you?

Additionally important is that I'm making a list in my head of khan academy videos to watch at some point to understand more stuff. Those videos are long those so idk if I'll have the time.

I'm worried about the day where we read all chapters again. Most likely I'll skim through and spend more time on the passages/in chapter problems and flip back to the part of the chapter I was weak on and review like that. You're right that these chapters are really long

I believe you and I are in the same spot of the SN2 schedule right? I'm beginning to have a rather low opinion of pure content review. I started out the first days taking almost 7-8 hours reading the chapter, now it's about 4-5 and it's getting better. What I did was increase the speed of my reading by moving my pen across the paper fast and then I would do those in chapter problems. The content review helps me refresh my knowledge, but honestly my real learning is coming from taking the passages and missing questions and then thoroughly reviewing them. I've got a composition book where every day I jot down notes on the questions I've missed or guessed on and gotten right. So in this way, I'm slowly building a study book of my weaknesses. Maybe that'll help you?

Additionally important is that I'm making a list in my head of khan academy videos to watch at some point to understand more stuff. Those videos are long those so idk if I'll have the time.

I'm worried about the day where we read all chapters again. Most likely I'll skim through and spend more time on the passages/in chapter problems and flip back to the part of the chapter I was weak on and review like that. You're right that these chapters are really long

Hey Texas,

Yes I believe so. I moved my break day to yesterday but I did TBR physics chapter 2 today. I actually decided to correspond with EK in terms of what equations to know but the concepts are explained much better in TBR. As for scores on passages, I am still doing so bad! Got a 3/8, 2/6, 2/5 and 3/5 I think today. Pretty much less than 50 percent. Also, MOST of these were lucky guesses where I was kind of able to eliminate a few choices and then just luckily choose the right answer. I hate physics. :( Pretty sure chem is gonna be just like this for me.

Tomorrow is all the rereading for me and I figure Ima just correspond with EK for all of the subjects and just pretty much try to absorb the info. Physics and chem are being my biggest pains right now. As sick as it sounds I am enjoying the bio and O-chem much more.

Hope everything is well with you.

Hey Texas,

Yes I believe so. I moved my break day to yesterday but I did TBR physics chapter 2 today. I actually decided to correspond with EK in terms of what equations to know but the concepts are explained much better in TBR. As for scores on passages, I am still doing so bad! Got a 3/8, 2/6, 2/5 and 3/5 I think today. Pretty much less than 50 percent. Also, MOST of these were lucky guesses where I was kind of able to eliminate a few choices and then just luckily choose the right answer. I hate physics. :( Pretty sure chem is gonna be just like this for me.

Tomorrow is all the rereading for me and I figure Ima just correspond with EK for all of the subjects and just pretty much try to absorb the info. Physics and chem are being my biggest pains right now. As sick as it sounds I am enjoying the bio and O-chem much more.

Hope everything is well with you.
Yeah now we're on the same page, same day. I just read physics ch. 2 today as well. I don't check my answers the same day I do the passages because of fear of what you mentioned- that I won't score well. I always check answers the day after so I can review the material a bit and then jot down notes on my notebook. Plus its refreshing to change subjects.

There's so much Bio passages to do! I think the first 1/3 of the SN2 bio passages from EK ch. 1 is like 12 passages?! That's more than a FL passage section I believe....FML. I still have to review and check the majority of them. I got killed in a bio passage on enzymes though. So I gotta study enzymes.

Physics has been turning out okay for me. Gen chem is a huge pain. I don't know how I'm going to read all the chapters again tomorrow + check bio + do verbal. I'll probably spread it out over tomorrow and my break day but I'm gonna try to do as much tomorrow as I can. Generally on the passages I miss 2-3, mostly 2 questions. But I've been making notes and studying the concepts to eliminate this possibility of missing a similar question again so hopefully it'll get better. Don't worry about missing a lot of questions right now: I just missed 4/5 questions on a bio passage from BR. Now I know what I need to study to never miss them again. I actually do like O-chem for some reason...right now is the early stage of SN2 so there's a lot to pick up on. Keep it up and good luck tomorrow!!!